Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Planting

Took me 4 hours or more to read this thread.

Thanks to all that contributed to it.

If you want to start a savanna thread...I am all eyes.

That peeling bark on swamp whites had me freaked for awhile, but the trees are doing great. I'm glad to see pics of someone else's doing the same thing.

That's one way to tell it is a swamp white oak....the other is the long stem on the acorn that comes off at a 45 degree angle. :way:

I am pretty sure ole Lickcreek knows the name...

I am just a lazy guy looking for the professor to get me learn'd!!:rolleyes:

Has anyone here had problems with acorn weevils? Our property contains many Bur Oaks and used to be an Oak Savannah according to the DNR. We have a very poor acorn crop and I found some acorns in deer scat that had what I think are weevils in them. Any way to control this? We are starting to TSI it ourselves but don't want to encourage a bigger problem.

Has anyone here had problems with acorn weevils? Our property contains many Bur Oaks and used to be an Oak Savannah according to the DNR. We have a very poor acorn crop and I found some acorns in deer scat that had what I think are weevils in them. Any way to control this? We are starting to TSI it ourselves but don't want to encourage a bigger problem.

I don't know of anyway to stop the weevils...except get every acorn before they hit the ground. :way:

I am pretty sure ole Lickcreek knows the name...

;):way::)

I planted my first acorns last week...first time for everything! :)

Readytogrow.jpg

Since most were sprouting I placed the sprout up and planted them roughly an inch deep, however the "sprout" is the tap root and should be placed down. ;)

Sproutup.jpg

We have tree tubes coming but for now I marked them with flags and covered the dirt with some grass mulch to keep rodents from investigating

Mulchednut.jpg

When the I get the tubes on I'll spray around them with gly and oust and we'll see what happens...

Plantedacorns.jpg

Last edited:
Get those things guarded asap....I planted 20 pounds last year by pressing them in the soil with my foot and the deer went along and ate every single one the next few days after that.

I swear they walk behind me since they know I am planting something they are going to like :D

Get those things guarded asap....I planted 20 pounds last year by pressing them in the soil with my foot and the deer went along and ate every single one the next few days after that.

I swear they walk behind me since they know I am planting something they are going to like :D

The tubes came today! :way:

What kind of tubes did you get?

They are the Miracle vented tubes that Tree pro sells

Miracle Tube tree shelters

They have plenty of big vent holes where as the TreePro tubes have smaller holes but can be opened up for hardening off.

If one has hundreds of tubes up however, opening them all up every fall could be a pain. These tubes are only 12" to protect the newly planted acorns so it's not really a problem either way.

I'd like to try some of the tall tubes next year combined with fencing to spur rapid growth of some of the hybrid oaks and Dwarf Chinkapins.

Last time I used tubes alone, bucks ripped them off and rodents built nests inside them so fence and herbicide to keep grass killed will be imperative to my using them successfuly...;)

I need some help identifying a tree...you guy's don't get a picture or nothing! :thrwrck:I can't tell you what the leaves looked like but it had round balls on it that looked simular to an Allegheny Chinkapin.:grin: What other tree has those prickly covers? :D Maybe some kind of beech (white sand, sunshine and waves crashing).:confused:

Last edited:
I need some help identifying a tree...you guy's don't get a picture or nothing! :thrwrck:I can't tell you what the leaves looked like but it had round balls on it that looked simular to an Allegheny Chinkapin.:grin: What other tree has those prickly covers? :D Maybe some kind of beech (white sand, sunshine and waves crashing).:confused:

Sounds like a beech to me. The spiny fruits are known as cupules and carry two nuts in each fruit. If there was white sand and waves crashing then it's definitely a beach:grin:

Here is my set up that works well for acorns...I tag them so I know what source each came from for future reference and if some shine better than others. These are dwarf chinkapin oaks planted along side one of my apple orchards to make it a better draw. These are from 3 different sources, MO, AL and NE.

DwarfChinkapinOak-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all I was just having some things run through my head and I was thinking about one place being a great spot to direct seed some new trees in the future but its about a 6 acre area. After reading a lot of various posts about tree planting I was wondering if the best thing to do to protect a new area of direct seeded trees from deer would be to have fencing put up that doesn't allow the deer to enter. Do any of you think its economically feasible to do something like that or more economical to cage them all? It would seem that high tensile fence about 8 foot tall would keep the deer out. I work at the Washington County Conservation Board during the summers since I am in college and they planted a couple of acres of oaks and walnuts and they put up electrical fencing to keep both deer and rabbits out and a few years ago we took the fencing down because the trees no longer need the protection but they all look great and it appears to have worked well. Let me know what some of you all think. Thanks,

Seth

I would not be able to afford that type of fencing for 6 acres...the electric may work, but I have lots of problems with deer running through them so I would put it up ahead of the planting so they get used to the fence and learn to avoid it. An old farmers tale I heard was to put peanut butter on aluminum foil on the electric fence so they deer are attracted to the peanut butter and learn to dodge the fence that way. Even after a few years, you would have to worry about bucks rubbing the seedlings as it would take several years to get them big enough that deer would not touch them. Well that is my (02) :D

There is a nursery that has trees in the country nearby that uses electric fence. I haven't noticed any rubs the last few years. One other note is to use 2 to 3 eight foot ground rods with your fencer. Once or twice with a hard hit and they know its there. Many times a bad ground in dry weather will result in a weak charge.

5,000+ was not stopping these deer, I check it every week to make sure the volts are still up. From what I saw they were already running before the got to the fence so it was just like hitting a vine to them...I watched them do it one afternoon when I was driving through the beanfield and had to spend an extra hour digging the electric back out of the brush. :D

Top Bottom