Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

X-treme lightweight stands...

K

Kat

Ok, my goal for bow season next fall is to be able to move at a moments notice. I have three great stands set up, but I want to be able to change locations whenever I want. The problem is that my hunting area has a lot of steep hills and ravines. I’m not very big and I just can’t see me carrying a 15 lb climber around out there. I looked at the Treesuit site, and it’s lightweight, but it looks kinda awkward. Any suggestions (besides going on a ‘roid rage)?

Give the treesuite a try at the Classic - it's very light weight. One year I even packed mine in 5 miles deep into our Elk camp in Colorado.

Kat, i did some looking around and found that if you want a climber the smallest i could find (and that i thought was safest) is going to run you 15-18 pounds. fixed stands are going to be around 10-15 pounds but you'll still need steps and such. here is what i found

Lone Wolf Treestands have 2 stands that might interest you. the alpha sit and stand combo is a climber that weights only 18 pounds. this stand rocks. as does the alpha hang on portable stand at 10.5 pounds. these stands are very lightweight and super strong. they are also super expensive i think.

another way to go would be with Gorilla Tree Stands they make the silverback lite portable stand that is around 10 pounds also. their climbers didn't impress me as far as weight goes. LIV4RUT uses one of these stands and i'm very impressed with them.

yet another brand to try would be Summit Tree Stands they make several portable stands that may interest you that all weigh around the 10-15 pound range and their lightest climber was the summit bullet backpacker at 20 pounds.

i use an API but the lightest API is yet 20 pounds also. if you're looking for lightweight and safe i would recommend to you the Lone Wolf stands or else a portable gorilla stand with some good easy to use tie on steps and a good safety belt for quick installation. i hope this helps, good luck in your decision.
waytogo.gif

Summit just introduced a new climber, the ClearShot, that weighs only 16#. They also make an awesome light Headhunter X4 hang-on stand that is only 10# and sets up real easy. With a few steps or a climbing stick you can set up pretty quick.

gunrunr - i saw those stands while looking around, they look good don't they? so many stands to compare and so little time, looks like Kat has some shopping to do!!
peace.gif

Kat, Headgear has a video from Chippewa Wedge-Loc Stands that I just watched and they have a very small stand called The Ghost that would be great for a small framed person. It weighs only 8 lbs. They are simple enough to hang and rock solid. They say it is small enough to put into a backpack. Chippewa Ghost

I use a Gorlilla Silverback Lite. It is a great stand and very solid.

Gorilla baby kong aluminum has been my stand of choice for packing in for the last few years. the chippewa above looks interesting also.

Wow, that ghost is tiny!!! The platform looks almost a little too small. I'd be afraid to turn around. But they do have one called the quest that only weighs one pound more and it has a much bigger platform.

http://www.chippewawedgeloc.com/html/models.html

When a company has you email them for prices that makes me think you're in for a "sticker shock."
eek.gif

From what I rember I think you will have sticker shock. I thought the Lone Wolfs were high until I got pricing for them.

Kat- I have 4 of the Gorilla aluminum stands, 2 medium and 2 large. I really like them and they are very quiet. I also have 3 sets of the Lone Wolf climbing sticks. I seriously doubt there is a better way to get up a tree short of a climber, which will not work in alot of trees. The Lone Wolf sticks are well worth the extra $$.

Now to horn in on your post alittle. I'm on the "buy another stand every year until you think you have enough" program. Does anybody have both a Gorilla and a Lone Wolf? How do they compare, especially comfort wise?

They look easier to hang and more versatile, but that seat looks like a butt-buster on an all day hunt (I like to sit alot of the time). Is the seat angle adjustable or just the platform?
Thanks.

Kat, That Ghost is tiny. I'm with you on being afraid to move. Hey but you said X-treme lightweight stands so I thought I'd through it out there for you to look at. I'd look at the Quest for only a poud more. I like there hanging system and the platform leveler.

I with TimberPig on the Lone Wolf climbing sticks. They are the ONLY way to get up a tree. They weigh in at 2.5 lbs. per section and you can rig them up to attach to your stand.

TimberPig, I have never used the Lone Wolf stand but Headgear just ordered one so I plan on checking his out and comparing it to my Silverback when he gets it. If it's as good as their sticks they would probably make a great set.

TimberPig,
The Gorilla really isn't even close if you are talking about versitility and portability. The comfort factor is the same. I would rate the LW slightly more comfortable unless you have the air ride cushion on your gorilla. As far as ease of hanging, the LW is a breeze. Put your sticks up, climb up with your stand on your back put the hanging hook around the tree, slip the stand off your shoulder and hang it in place and then secure with the versa button strap. It really is slick. I have 22 stands and with the exception of the ones I hang early, the rest are going to collect dust. Yes the seat does adjust as well as the platform. OneCam was right when he told me to be careful because you start to depend on them too much...
evil.gif

Here is a picture of how well the sticks (4) pack with the stand. I have also figured out a way to get rid of the bungee cords.

26DSC00171-med.gif

Those Lone Wolf tree steps do pack up nice! The places where I want to set up are mostly to thick for a ground blind. Mostly...

Well it looks like the treesuit
confused.gif
or hitting the gym a little harder... HEY MUDDY...this is for you!
grin.gif

19_hero2.jpg

2guns.gif

If i need to hang a stand in the morning before i hunt or im gonna walk into an area which is usually about a 45 minute walk, I always pack light as possible, ive got plenty of tree sticks, however i dont have any lonewolf ones which are alot lighter than the ones i got, i always have my gorrilla silverback magnum, the aluminum one, i think it weighs 9 or 10 pounds, i think it is an excellent stand, then in my backpack i throw in between 12-15 strap on tree steps which are extremely light and im on my way, i can usually get the stand up in 7 or 8 minutes depending on the tree. I think that is the only way to go for the long haul, but thats my opinion. most of the time i only need 3 or 4 steps to get 20 feet high, i usually look for a tree which i can climb pretty easily, if not 12-15 strap on steps could get me easily 25 feet in the air. some people dont like them some people do, but the trend where im hunting is most are replacing their sticks with strap on steps just easier, right now you can find them at walmart on clearance for 3.50 per step and for the cheapes climbing sticks you could get 12 steps for that, and for an expensive set of sticks could probably double that easily. If i know im gonna leave the stand for long periods of times, i usually just take a pair of sticks and put it up, but when im in stealth mode and have to find a new area quick and hunt it that night, i got the other route, which seems to happen alot lol, goodluck in whatever you decide

Kat - like i said, no camo, but, still some eye candy!
waytogo.gif
linda hamiliton...must watch terminator now...

Deadeye, haven't you ever seen Terminator 2
nono.gif

That's Linda Hamilton...

Top Bottom