Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

X-treme lightweight stands...

yeah, sorry just trying for a laugh. get a climber situated right on your back and they aren't too bad if you take a break once in awhile. depends how far you have to go too.

Like Alaskan said - don't overlook ground hunting. You don't have to pack a blind - just set up under any tree. Assuming you've got good camo and scent control, you'd be surprised at how close you can get to a deer just by sitting still. I've shot about half my archery deer just sitting on the ground. When the trail 50 yards over starts looking better there's nothing to stop you from getting up and moving...

Kat, if you want to get up and go wouldn't you want to be on the ground, don't think you have to be in a stand to get close to deer.What i am saying is if your hunting steep ravines and hillsides you can get above these animals or below them. Personally i hate climbers as you have to have the right tree and no branches and other things that slow you down and also make some noise while (climbing)in use.Personally I like to get up and go when i'm done hunting in one spot, during pre rut as i usally do agressive calling. next to bedding areas during the day and before dusk. If you don't get a response or sighting in a half hour you can get up and go, and not worrying about looking for a good tree and not worring about the wind, with stand location, its alot to consder when you want to get up and go.

Thanks for the comparison Limb. I only have one Gorrilla with the air ride seat but it is a drastic improvement over the old seats.

I have a Summit climber which I like, killed all my deer from it in '02, but I used it less last year. To me climbers seem eaiser to hang or take down in the dark for some reason. The real drawback to them is when you get yourself up there and situated, and then you drop something important! Also, mine has never slipped but I just have never felt as comfortable standing up unsupported on it as I do my hang-ons? It is by far the most comfortable stand I've ever used though, like a lounger in a tree.

Guess I just need to plunk down the cash to try out the Lone Wolf stand.

Since Limb showed you his, I'll show you mine.

582Stand_Sticks-med.jpg

Gorilla Silverback with a double stack of Lone Wolf Sticks.....to go.
waytogo.gif

Limb, It's very solid. I am real happy with the way it packs too. I can tell you that without a doubt I will NEVER carry a fanny pack full of clanking steps again. Those sticks are the best thing I've gotten my hands on (as far as hunting equiptment goes
evil.gif
) in a long time. Last year at the Classic, Chris told me to get a set of them and I would never regret it. He was right on.
waytogo.gif

I have to ditto on the lone wolf sticks. I too have the three 3 foot sections and they are sweet. I just got my Alpha stand last Friday and had to go try it out. Very nice. The hook system makes it really simple to hang and the way it pushes against the tree with the seat and the platform once you get your straps on makes it solid as a rock. The stand and 3 sticks, tips the scale at about 18 pounds. This includes the two straps (I use those to strap my sticks on with).

...are the LW sticks (when in use) stackable or do they work independent from one another?...

...last fall I saw something called buck steps at Coralville Scheels...anyone have some insight on them?...

The LW sticks are individual seations with 3 steps per section which can be turned to either side of the stick. They do not insert into each other like some other models do. I've tried the stacking version of other models and found that they limit you to a straight up assent. The LW climbing sticks allow you to move around the tree or even use trees that are forked for extreme ease of climbing. Simply put, there is NO better way to get up a tree.

Kat,I'm late to this thread, but before you buy a hang on check out Non Typical Treestands, Patriot. Only weighs about 10 lbs. and I guarantee will out perform API or Lone Wolf. It is a company that does not get much exposure, but it is top notch.

Kat,
I mis-spoke. The Non Typical Patriot weighs only 8 pounds, and has a large 20 X 28 platform. Sorry.

Thanks JDubs, I'd never heard of that company before. Pretty sweet. The prices aren't bad either. The rapid rails, although a bit bulkier than the Lone Wolf sticks, look to be a little safer and more stable. Cool accesseries too. I like the mat that goes on the platform.

Hmmm...I'm kinda liking this one.
waytogo.gif

Kat,
I don't think you will be disappointed. To keep the bulk down a little I acutally pack in API step sticks with the Non Typical. NT just teamed with Ameristep this fall in attempt to get more exposure.

Kat, If you're going to the Classic, LW usually has a booth. It would be worth your time to stop in at look at them. I just can't see how the rapid rails could be a safer or easier solution to getting up the tree. LW sticks are rock solid and have a much better strap to attach them to the tree. As far as the stand goes, at $159.00, which is exactly what the LW stand costs, I would at least give it a look. Just my opinion.

Rack & Kat,

LW is a very good stand, but I lean towards NT due to the comfort factor. NT offers two seats when you order. You can choose between a bench type seat or a round swivel seat. Both of which are more comfortable than LW's seat. And make no mistake about it NT is easy to install and absolutely rock solid. By the way Kat NT is offering about $15.00 off the listed price on their web site when you order from the site phone number.

All right, I'm sold on the Lone Wolf climbing sticks, and I like the EZ hang system too. JDub, if you've used both stands, which are easier to hang? Keep in mind that I'm about 120 lbs and have never hung a stand by myself before...

One other question. Is it easy to set up these sticks and stands in the dark? (Yes I will practice first)

Kat, I know LW is a sponsor of the site, but yes I have used both. The LW is easier to hang using the ez hang system. However, it is still necessary to use a safety belt, for the use of both hands, when hanging either stand. Keep in mind the NT in only 8 lbs. Stability is equal, although I do like the 2 inch strap on the NT compared to the one inch strap on the LW. Comfort, NT blows LW away. A one inch thick foam pad vs. 2 1/2 or 3 inch upholstered seat on the NT. The bench seat on the NT is larger than the seat on the LW, and NT offers a swivel seat.
All in all pretty close, but I still lean toward NT and guarantee I could convert some LW users.

Top Bottom