Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

'Years Of Giants'- A Look Back

that being said sureshot i don't know you but really enjoy following your content and will continue to do so... even if you dare to make a dollar or two off of it.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Chris,
Congrats on the new site. Looks nice! Good luck with it.

Thanks to IW I been fortunate to meet Chris. By him posting pics we discovered that we hunt adjacent properties and have gotten to share information and stories.

Because I believe the "industry" has had a very negative impact on hunting everywhere and has drove the price of hunting and hunting products crazy high.

If it is something your looking to do good luck. Just something that discourages me.

I'm just one person and I guess I should have kept my opinion to myself.

Mobile Cooter using IW

Cooter,

I don't think you should feel like you can't share your opinion, and in some ways you definitely might be right that some parts of the "industry" may have caused prices in some areas to rise. No doubt, the more people that hunt the more expensive tag prices can get.

Heck, look at how crazy shed hunting has gotten. It is a double edge sword in some ways, we want those non-hunters to understand what we do and how methodical we are and not just a bunch of dumb "rednecks" carelessly slaughtering animals. We want to introduce more people to hunting, but at the same time more people drive up product demand and demand for resources/tags, which allows prices to be increased.

I'm not buying the price increase argument. This sport can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. It's your choice, you don't need the most expensive bows, sights, camo, etc. I know people with equipment older than dirt that do just fine. It's a choice to buy this stuff if you want. So what other prices have gotten out of control? Certainly not tags and licenses. 28 bucks is a steal. I'd pay 3 times that and not blink an eye. Land? If you can't afford it, get a better job or make the necessary sacrifices it takes. The same guys I hear complaining that they will never be able to afford land have a mountain dew in their hand, a can of chew in their pocket, and no diploma on the wall. Again choices.

Some people are just negative and go out of their way to see the bad. Chris is just the opposite and some of you could learn a thing or 2 from this kid.

I'm not buying the price increase argument. This sport can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. It's your choice, you don't need the most expensive bows, sights, camo, etc. I know people with equipment older than dirt that do just fine. It's a choice to buy this stuff if you want. So what other prices have gotten out of control? Certainly not tags and licenses. 28 bucks is a steal. I'd pay 3 times that and not blink an eye. Land? If you can't afford it, get a better job or make the necessary sacrifices it takes. The same guys I hear complaining that they will never be able to afford land have a mountain dew in their hand, a can of chew in their pocket, and no diploma on the wall. Again choices.

Some people are just negative and go out of their way to see the bad. Chris is just the opposite and some of you could learn a thing or 2 from this kid.

Well, I agree from an in state point of view and the cost of a diploma vs. the current job market can be argued. I personally, have two bachelors, a BA in business and marketing and a BA in education (currently a teacher). The cost of college is ridiculous, similar to insurance, they know you have to have it and continually every year it goes up! My wife and I pay more each month for our student loans than we do for our mortgage. The belief is after the housing market/mortgage issue the next issue will be college graduates not being able to repay their loans and I believe it.

Overall though yes, I agree with your statements Breiner with hardwork and smart deliberate decisions, usually good things happen.

Well, I agree from an in state point of view and the cost of a diploma vs. the current job market can be argued. I personally, have two bachelors, a BA in business and marketing and a BA in education (currently a teacher). The cost of college is ridiculous, similar to insurance, they know you have to have it and continually every year it goes up! My wife and I pay more each month for our student loans than we do for our mortgage. The belief is after the housing market/mortgage issue the next issue will be college graduates not being able to repay their loans and I believe it.

Overall though yes, I agree with your statements Breiner with hardwork and smart deliberate decisions, usually good things happen.

I hear you Skyleralan. I drove a POS car and ate ground deer and spagetti for years after graduating from college just to get my loans paid. I finally did and then kept sacrificing to build a down payment for land. Now I'm getting married and I just inherited her student loans:eek: Back to the drawing board.

Not to hijack the thread, but my point is that I could piss and moan about this or do something about it. Guys that are critical or put down folks like Chris for his endeavors are just mad because they don't have the stones to do it themselves. Who cares if he makes money on it or not, I hope he gets rich from it. Then claim that having these websites is driving up prices. Please.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Where the #@*% did I put down Chris??????

Where did I say I don't work hard and sacrifice for what I have????? You don't know me from Jack.

I just think back to when I started and how it is now thanks to all the hipe .......... Wow

Mobile Cooter using IW

Member when you said what he was doing rubbed you the wrong way, and as long as he wasn't doing it to make a buck you gave him props. Member that time? That's called being critical with no right to be.

Never said you put him down, also never said you didn't work hard for what you have.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Why is this thread still going in the argue department?

Congrats Chris, all looks great!! Enjoy it and I wish ya luck!!:way:

You don't know me from Jack.

I don't know you from Jack either, however, you do look an awful lot like this guy..... :D Sorry! I couldn't resist! ;)

goonies_sloth.jpg

2012-05-26085516.jpg

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
It's funny how a simple post can turn into such a debate. Many of the replies above 'sparked' me to write a short article on TrophyPursuit. I feel obligated to share it here;

Changing Times

I’m 25 years old. Some of you that are reading this are likely twice my age. Regardless of your age, you’ve obviously witnessed changes throughout your lifetime in a number of different areas of life. What separates ‘good’ change from ‘bad’ change? Well, that is up for each of us to analyze and decide on our own. Can we prevent change? Of course not. Can we make the most of it? There is no doubt about it.
UncleDicksTom-ChristopherDunkin13yrsold.jpg

I started bow hunting in 1997 at the age of 11. My uncles were the ones who got me started, and I immediately fell in love with the sport. It literally consumed me from day #1. I still remember ‘the old day’s’ pretty well for just being a young kid. We had permission to hunt more property then we knew what to do with it. Even if we wanted to hunt each farm once, it would be nearly impossible. Getting permission was a walk in the park back then. Most farmers had never heard the term ‘leasing,’ and bow hunting was not yet that popular. Hunting videos were still fairly new to most people, and the world wide web was not even as close to as ‘popular’ as it is now. One could say that the world was ‘smaller’, especially the world of hunting, but as the years progressed, change occurred.

As each day passed, hunting videos, magazines, and websites became more popular. Because of this, more and more people were becoming interested in what bow hunting was all about, which in turn led to more individuals hunting. A ‘Pro-Staff’ was no longer a foreign word. Companies began to market their products, and some hunters were actually beginning to make money off of the sport. There was no doubt about it, and even though most didn’t realize it at first, times in the hunting world were changing.

On September 29th, 2003 my world of hunting changed forever. Tony Lovstuen, a 15yr old from the Albia area, shot a buck that was, and still is the current world-record whitetail. In fact, it’s the biggest buck ever killed by a hunter. The shot was heard around the world. Why did this affect me? Well, most of the property that I hunted back then was within 2 miles of where ‘The Albia Buck’ was shot. Almost immediately, hunters from not only Iowa, but many other states were focusing in on the Albia area. Farms were being sold left and right and the farmers who did not sell were being ‘introduced’ to the term ‘leasing.’ My world of hunting was changing, and changing fast.
worldrecord.jpg

Within one year I had lost nearly 2,000 acres of prime farms that giant bucks called home. I began to panic. After the panic began to sink in, I got frustrated. ‘Why is this happening?’ Farms that I had grown up bow hunting, that I had fallen in love with, were being sold to people with no ties to the area. I was still ‘ok’ though. I still had a few of the original farms left.

On April 10th, 2005 (I was 17), I picked my little cousin up at 4:30AM, as I had promised to take him youth turkey hunting. After arriving at the farm, we parked the truck and began the long walk up the level B road. Although the walk was long, I knew that once we reached the top we would be surrounded by birds. ‘They should be close,’ I whispered to him. As the morning sun started to rise, I noticed a sign on the fencepost directly to my right. Upon further inspection, I read the words ‘No Hunting.’ My heart sank. This one hurt.
DSCI0032.jpg

I grabbed my backpack and told my cousin that we needed to go. I was so upset that I didn’t even take him out again that youth season. Looking back on that, it was pretty ridiculous of me. After getting home, I went to visit my grandma, and told her what had happened. She told me ‘Christopher, in all of my years I’ve learned a lot, and seen a lot, and one piece of advice I will give you now is that you can’t let things that you have no control over get you down.’ At that point, it hit me. It was time to sink or swim.

In the 7 years since that day, I have gained more permission than I would’ve ever imagined was possible. Those same hunters who purchased farms in the area, now let me hunt from time to time. Many of the ones, who I once resented, are now good friends. My point to this article is simple. Don’t give up, keep fighting, and know that as bad as it may get for you, it can always get better. Hard work, dedication, and a strong will can beat nearly anything that is thrown at you. Make the most out of whatever hand you are dealt.

“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”

Great post sureshot. I completely agree with the statement you are making. I enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing.

Good story and experience! I had the same things happen, most of us probably have. I still knocked on doors as of like 6 years ago and found places to hunt. I also realized I needed to find a way to buy land. Did it. Started with nothing and found opportunity but it wasn't easy, nothing good is. I'm sure you'll be on some dandies again this year from all you put into it!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Great Post Sureshot. You have nothing to be ashamed about for posting your site. I can tell you really do love the sport and want to pass that on to others. I see that you are in Conservation and I applaud you for all that you do. You guys can be some of the best people to be around and you are really in it for the environment.

I think a lot of things here have been taken out context and there seem to be some strong emoutions tide into some issues surrounding the sport we all love and share a common interest in. Which, It is surely understandable. I just hope everyone will put aside any ill feelings toward eachother and just remember that we all have this same common interest in Deer hunting.

I hope you continue to post here Sureshot.

Last edited:
I look forward to everything you share in the future. Every thread you start seems to always be a great one. Your 'Popcans' thread was probably the best thread I have ever seen on this site. Great Story!

Like I said, I can't wait for the future updates. Keep up the good work, Chris!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Maybe I don't get any picks of big ones cause I'm no good at this? But like I told you when you started posting pix of monsters that it could have bad results might be why?

-}}}---------->

Cooter, man, do you not think I've thought of that before? I am so anti-paranoia it's rediculous! I think one of the funnest parts of hunting is sharing those experiences with others. If a big buck gets killed because I posted a picture on this site, then so be it. Congrats to the hunter! It's a deer. I really don't care. Yeah, I like to kill them, but there will always be more. At the end of the day it's the memories that are made with friends that make this sport fun to me. You would be surprised to find how many people on this site have actually hunted with me on farms that I've gained permission on. To each their own though. We all have our differing opinions, and that will never change. Oh, BTW, when you told me that it was a bad idea for me to post pictures on here a funny thing happened. Arggh11 PM'd me and said those bucks you posted look familiar :rolleyes: Yep, guess what....he owned property next to one of the farms I was posting pictures of deer from. We are now good friends. :way: Oh, and he graciously gave me a matched set off a buck I shot this year.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I have an outfitter who leases 650 acres right next to one of the farms I hunt. Actually borders two of the farms I hunt. Oh yeah, he's now my friend too. As a matter of fact, one of his guides is now one of my best friends. Remember that buck that I called JackHammer? If not, do a quick search and you'll see pictures of him. They had a guy from Pennyslvania hunt with them this year. He killed JackHammer. Dang it. Damn them. Actually, congrats to him. I was one of the first to shake his hand.

I'm sorry man, I just realize that this post will never end with you. I will continue to be a minority here....I guess I'll take that statement as a compliment. Later.

Last edited:
Man ther are some nice deer in there… lets hope they got their genetics out ther

indiana bow hunter

Let's face it guys, each one of us has different hunting situations. Some of us have ground that is safer which there is not much harm in posting big deer. Most of us don't. I have posted many big bucks over the years and then get off the wall PMs of guys trying to figure out where those deer are. Even some people I know can't be trusted in telling them what you see as the next thing you know they are hunting your area. I hunt a lot of public ground and have let people hunt my stands and the next thing I know it is their spot.

I may be in the minority but I feel the big buck craze is getting a little out of hand. A lot of hunters are like coyotes, they won't think twice of taking an easy meal or in this case a quality spot to hunt with little effort on their part.

Back in the day we could all sit around the camp fire and share hunting stories and tell of the big bucks we have seen and life would be good. Any more all anyone ever sees is a couple does and a 120 or less. I have definitely found when hunting public ground to keep your mouth shut as people will move in like vultures.

It is really kind of sad. I want to be able to share the days hunt with everyone but anymore there is only a handful of people I even trust.

This site used to be much different back in 2001 when I first joined. Most people felt like we knew eachother. We had a chatroom and would BS all the time. It was a blast. The trail camera forum had a lot more action back in the day but over the course of time a lot of guys have been burned in one way or another and quit posting.

I have been hunting about 20 years and I think some of the most fun I ever had was back when I was a kid when any buck was a good buck and shooting any deer was a good hunt. In the days of the internet if you aren't killing 5.5+ year old bucks it is hard to even get an ata boy or some prick saying man he would of been a giant next year. Kind of sad when you can't even post a deer your happy with and get all positive responses.

I make pretty good money and the cost of everything is insane and it just continues to sky rocket. There is no doubt all the crap on TV is part of it. I don't recall any 3 packs of broadheads being $39.99 until rage came out. Everyone jumped on board and now all broadheads are darn the near the same price. It takes $1500 to set up a new flagship bow these days. Someone said a long the lines is you can spend as little as you want and be succesful. This is true but on the other hand it really isn't. When hunting is your life your not going to go cheap because a lot of times more $$ equals more success. I could go out to walmart and buy a hunting a jacket for probably $50. The problem is, it won't be all that warm, won't be windproof and won't be waterproof. When it is November 6th, windy and lightly raining, I am going to wear the $250 jacket I have and hunt all day versus a couple hours. Sure i could be succesful in those couple hours but I shot my buck last year at 11:52am. I could also go cheap and buy a $25 pack of broadheads when only 3-4 out of the 6 even fly great. A lot of these prices are simply due to all the BS that is out there now.

Speaking of hunting videos anymore, man what a change that has been. I don't even enjoy watching them. Too much Hitlist bucks, swampdonkey, rage in the cagin for me. Take me back to the first monster bucks, double bull and drury videos back when it was just for kicks before it became just for $$.

Life for me has personally changed. I have a wife and a beautiful little girl now. I don't get out as much as I would love to that is for sure but when that little girl is cuddled up with me on the couch on a saturday morning watching Mickey Mouse Club I can't think of a better place I would like to be. Each outing is a blessing and one I cherish. Some day when the kid / kids are all grown up I will be full blown out there again and hopefully one of them will be tagging a long with me. Those will be some of the best days a field in my life and ones I look forward to without doubt.

I get enjoyment out of this site, in fact I am addicted to it. It gets me through the day but crap we are all men here. Who cares what someone else does or posts if it does not affect you. We can all beat our chests like a bunch of gorrillas and keep replying to see whos got a bigger .... but there really is no point in it. Look at the post, reply if you want to and let the good times roll.

And Yes, I think you are crazy for posting those pictures of giant deer Chris hahahaha

Top Bottom