Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Double Eagle

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Hard to tell from the picture. I was simply stating that a bald eagle does not get its adult white head and tail until they are 4-5 years of age. Here is some info:

The plumage of the immature bald eagle is brown, speckled with white until the fifth (rarely fourth, very rarely third) year, when it reaches sexual maturity.[2][3] Immature Bald Eagles are distinguishable from the Golden Eagle in that the former has a more protruding head with a larger bill, straighter edged wings which are held flat (not slightly raised) and with a stiffer wing beat, and feathers which do not completely cover the legs.[5] Also, the immature Bald Eagle has more light feathers in the upper arm area, especially around the very top of the arm.

Everything I have ever read said that Golden Eagles are solitary and typically are found in remote areas. But who knows it very well could be a Golden, I think its to hard to tell from the picture.

Maybe we could get the DNR to analyze the picture, they would probably tell us it actually is a sparrow. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

mole

how big are golden eagles? these two birds appear to be similar in size, don't know what the difference in size of a gold eagle and a bald eagle is, but if somebody does maybe that could help answer the question.

Great Discussion guys. I will try to get a better picture if they are out there again tonight. Mabye i'll throw out some junk koi to bait them in... ha ha.

My camera is a Olympus digital C-725. It was as zoomed in as I could get. I enlarged the picture by 200% and adjusted the brightness, hopefully this will help
doubleeagle2.jpg

Believe it or not there are many Goldens around, i have only seen a few matuer one's but i have seen many in Iowa. The Mature one's dominate the baldy in size.... no competition there, thats why it looks like a younger golden in the pic

Here at work our plant roosts between 50-100 Balds. Everyday I watch as they dive into our discharge canal. It's hard to tell from the picture but, it looks like an immature Bald eagle to me, to much white to be a Golden.
FYI-Goldens stand taller than a bald but, balds usually have a wider wing span.

We currently have groups of Baldys hanging around the river outside of town. Have seen many "immature" ones that look similar to the one in the pic. I would guess young baldy as well.

Subject: **Our National Symbol !!
The story of our elegant eagle.
The eagle has the longest life-span of its' species. It can live up to 70 years but to reach this age, the eagle must make a hard decision in its' 40's.

Its' long and flexible talons can no longer grab prey which serves as food, It's long and sharp beak becomes bent.

Its' old-aged and heavy wings, due to their thick feathers, become stuck to its' chest and make it difficult to fly

Then, the eagle is left with only two options: die or go through a painful process of change which lasts 150 days.

The process requires that the eagle fly to a mountain top and sit on its' nest

There the eagle knocks its' beak against a rock until it plucks it out, after plucking it out, the eagle will wait for a new beak to grow back and then it will pluck out its' talons.

When its' new talons grow back, the eagle starts plucking its' old-aged feathers.

And after five months, the eagle takes its famous flight of rebirth and lives for 30 more years

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Single Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eagles are bigger than Sparrows. </div></div>

If this isn't the quote of the year.

I wonder if there has ever been a confirmed report of a golden eagle in Iowa. I have only seen them in the mountains of western states.

But then that's the only place I have seen mountain lions too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jethro where did you get that!!!???!!!??!!

That's got to be a crock of schpit. </div></div>

It was emailed to me a while back but I was kind of thinking the same thing. I;m not sure if it's true facts or not. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Here ya go Iowa1; you were right it is a bunch of crap!

"The PowerPoint presentation circulating the Internet is a myth and metaphor intended to encourage and strengthen people. Eagles do not go into seclusion, pluck out their feathers, beak and talons, and then after five months emerge renewed. It's a myth! An eagle's beak and talons grow continuously, because they are made of keratin, the same substance as our hair and fingernails. Eagles molt in patches, taking almost half a year to replace feathers, starting with the head and working downward. Not all feathers are replaced in a given molt. An eagle without feathers, talons, and a beak would die of starvation and exposure."

fa·ce·tious

–adjective 1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Single Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fa·ce·tious

–adjective 1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.
</div></div>

Exactly, did you take me serious.

I think this is actually a photo of a rare and elusive predator cald the "BALDGOLDEN RAPTOR". They were once native to Iowa and now like the mountain lion they are very seldom seen by humans... I would get that photo do the DNR, ASAP! This rare treat that you have caught on camera may lead us to it's RAPTOR layer, and maybe once we have studied the hidden home we can learn the ways of this DEADLY, but yet majestic bird......:)

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom