Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Double Eagle

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
The bison was a keystone element of the Great Plains for nearly 10,000 years, providing sustenance and materials for many of North America’s original human residents, and staple food for early explorers, fur traders, and early European settlers. The increasing human pressures of market hunting for meat to provision the fur trade, hides for the robe trade, and indiscriminate killing resulted in the near-extinction of the species by the 1880s.

About 500 bison survived the intensive subsistence and commercial exploitation during European settlement of the interior of North America in the 19th century. Survivors included about 200 plains bison in five widely separated private herds and one wild population (Yellowstone National Park), and 250 to 300 wood bison in one region in the northern boreal forest. Fortunately, following the bottleneck of the late 1800s, the surviving bison were located in separate populations that encompassed a high level of overall (pre-bottleneck) genetic variation. Protective legislation prevented extirpation and supported the recovery of the two remaining wild herds. The combined efforts of public and private interests have resulted in a current population of >500,000 bison in North America, distributed from northern Mexico to Alaska.

Although recovery efforts since the early 1900s and production under private ownership have increased bison numbers, a recent assessment of the conservation status of the species revealed that there are some serious challenges to conservation and recovery of bison as a wildlife species (Boyd 2003). The recovery of bison on public lands is limited or affected by a number of factors including several that originally led to its extirpation. Some of the most important pressures include habitat loss from agricultural development and other intensive land use, commercial bison production, reduction in genetic diversity, domestic cattle diseases, introgression of cattle DNA, obstructive and inconsistent legislation, regulations and policies, and the general misconception that the persistence of bison as a wild species is secure.

More than 95% of North American bison are privately owned, most of which are managed for commercial production. Selection for market traits (growth and reproductive performance, body conformation, docility) dominates management of private herds. Natural selection only operates fully in a few public herds. The presence of cattle genes is nearly ubiquitous among commercial herds of plains bison tested to date, a legacy of sustained efforts to create an improved domestic range cow through cross-breeding cattle (Bos taurus) and bison. Many public herds have also shown varying levels of cattle gene introgression. There are a limited number of free-ranging plains bison populations within original range states (one in northern Mexico, two in the contiguous United States of America, and two in Canada).

The status of wood bison in the wild is somewhat better, with 8 free-ranging populations. Although the subspecies was subject to some human caused hybridization with plains bison early in the 20th century, wood bison still show distinct genetic differences from plains bison and strong phenotypic characteristics typical of the subspecies. Today there are free-ranging wood bison in four of five range states within their original range, which includes northwestern Canada and Alaska. A wood bison restoration effort is underway in Alaska, where extensive high quality habitat still exists.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's one of those CRAZY , OFF THE WALL T250 ?'s again...... What's the point of shooting something that isnt REALLY free roaming?? ....just a ? </div></div>
Well, if we thought car v deer accidents were bad, could you imagine hitting a free roaming buffallo..

Free roaming versus tame. No, I don't want to go shoot a tame Buffallo, but a Wild Buffallo in say a 1500 acre fenced in Enclosure, sure.

Prey walks within range, we pull the trigger. Fenced In or Free roaming, pretty much the same right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: all4s</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Typical250</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For the Bison guys... Look me up when they actually are a huntable animal once again. and the numbers are promising for the future... Kill 'em if they need to be i guess. </div></div>

You are right, not much of a hunt. I have family that has been in Buffalo for a few years and I can say I have never been on a tough hunt. It was more of a buffalo shoot and those who came to do it knew it was. They shot them just to say they have and to hang its head on the wall. Some would dress up in Mountian Man gear and do it just for the nastalgia. Others would just do it for the meat. Most of the buffs were shot out on pasture, just happened to be where the were at that time of the year, it also reduced stress and risk of injury to animal and self. But in all reality hunting (shooting) was one way we and other ranchers like us could reduce our herd numbers. There was not much of a meat market, or I should say the the herd numbers were growing faster than the meat market so we had to improvise and yes it was sugar coated but without it would have been a hard sell.

There are a few free ranging herds left, the one I would like to see is in the Wood Buffalo National Park along the Northwest Territories and Alberta. Hunting these Woods/Plains cross would be as close to the way things used to be as a guy could find. I think that herd is near 5000 strong but unfortunately like the Yellowstone herd it to has the brucellosis. They are concidering hunting as a way to clean up the herd but they have been talking about that for over twenty years, politics.....

These perimeter hunts could be interesting.

http://www.abhunting.com/bison-hunting.asp

I'll stop rambling.... </div></div>

They are a free ranging animal in Alaska and can still be hunted if you are lucky enough to draw a permit for them......

Damn Limb you really took that to a different level! Are the Bison sponsoring you by any chance?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

hoofline.gif

I hadn’t really planned to address this buffalo hunt since I told the story several years ago. However since some are questioning the ethics of modern day buffalo hunting I feel compelled to respond.

In 1984 or 85 the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota had too many buffalo for the carrying capacity of the forage that was available that year.

The tribal elders decided to hold a drawing to reduce the herd numbers. The drawing was for 40 tags, bulls only, $500 a tag, and maximum 400 hunters names in the hat. My buddy and I each threw or name in the hat and waited for the drawing. We were hoping that one of us would draw so we could split the cost of the tag and the meat.

You guessed it, we both drew a tag. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

On the day we went hunting the snow was knee deep on the reservation, and it was really cold. No fences, no feedbunks, and no haystacks! The terrain was rolling hills with some evergreen trees, deep ravines, and a lot of open ground.The hunt conditions were tough. If the buffalo saw you, heard you, or smelled you the stalk was over. No different than whitetail hunting!

After a number of stalks we both harvested our bulls. But I must say when you walk upon a 1500-1700 pound bull, and you have to butcher and pack out to a trail that is nearly 2 miles away the work begins. It was a great hunt and one that I would do again in a heartbeat!

The following paragraph does not necessarily reflect the opinion of iowawhitail.com, its administrators, or any other moderators other than me.

Enclosing please let me say that I certainly want to encourage new members to join IW. Unfortunately, we sometimes have new members who immediately start out by posting or replying to topics questioning the ethics of other members on this site. Perhaps if some of these new members would take the time to read back through the old threads from years past they would get a much better idea of the mind set of many of our members. I firmly believe that a large percentage of IW members have very high standards and ethics when harvesting game. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

hoofline.gif

Nope no Bison sponsors but I remember reading a book about free ranging bison not to long ago and couldn't remember for sure where they were so I looked it up again. Kinda cool. I know for certain after being around some pen raised ones that I don't want them mad... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

hoofline.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blake, that sounds like a great hunt, any pics on here of it? </div></div>

398office3.jpg

This is the only photo I have of my buffalo because we lost our home in a fire in 2002.

I miss the photographs of family and friends the most. Next I miss the many hunting photos that I had accumulated over 35 years of hunting.

Just memories now, but sweet memories.

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming an iowawhitetail PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

I did hear about a wave of WILD AFRICAN BARKING TREE FROGS that are tryin to take over what is left of the rainforests there.... I took a phone call today and was given a free tag to harvest ONE only.... I think i i'm gonna have to do it..... imagine the pics i could bring back!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Typical250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did hear about a wave of WILD AFRICAN BARKING TREE FROGS that are tryin to take over what is left of the rainforests there.... I took a phone call today and was given a free tag to harvest ONE only.... I think i i'm gonna have to do it..... imagine the pics i could bring back!! </div></div>

Have you started drinkin already? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sparrows ARE free ranging. </div></div>

But smaller than eagles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sparrows ARE free ranging. </div></div>

But smaller than eagles. </div></div>

And they taste just like chicken... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

No , but we leave for the 1st spoonbill expedition at 6 a.m. 2morro.... I may try a few Keokuk coctails /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom