Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anterless Rifle Season

You know, the Iowa deer classic is coming up soon. Why can't the IBA or a group of people come up with some sort of fact based short form propaganda to hand out at the deer classic on the issues regarding the deer herd? You aren't going to have a better chance at reaching more deer hunters than at the classic. Just an idea.

uuhhh.......not 100% sure on that one. pretty sure, the DNR can't implement any/many changes without legislature approval. and, the way the current administration is running things, any DNR official that were to go against the wishes of the establishment, will probably find themselves jobless.

Anyone on the site here know the answer to this question?

I was under the impression the DNR runs the seasons.
NE Iowa still has high doe quotas but no season. Not even close to selling out of them anytime soon.

If so I wonder if the only reason they keep the rifle season open is because of the monetary aspect?

Could high deer numbers in the lower tier counties coincide with high NR land ownership and their limited ability to kill deer? I don't know? I think it's a choice of two evils for many here. Kill them with rifles or give more access to NRLO's. Tough situation.

Deer numbers were higher in the lower tier counties due to the terrain difference which makes good habitat berfore NRLO became an issue. That is what drew their interest to the area to begin with not the other way around. It's laughable to think there weren't any deer here until NRLO's came in and showed us how to raise them.

lunker, again you guys can't have it both ways. NRLO ownership is over 20% with most in the southern tier. NRLO's have been criticized here for locking up land and restricting access; which in turn one would think increase deer numbers in certain areas. I only suggested that maybe the increased numbers and implemented rifle season may be one of many remedies to decrease the numbers. I can shoot only one doe per season. Multiply that by many NRLO owned farms and residents landowners who don't allow access and that my be part of the problem. I never got personal about anyone's ability to do anything, don't you.

Could high deer numbers in the lower tier counties coincide with high NR land ownership and their limited ability to kill deer? I don't know? I think it's a choice of two evils for many here. Kill them with rifles or give more access to NRLO's. Tough situation.

Higher deer counts in the southern Iowa counties was primarily due to better and more diverse habitat there v. other areas of the state AND also a lower human population of hunters pursuing the deer in those counties. The "boom" of NR's buying hunting ground in southern Iowa followed the boom of the deer population, it didn't cause it.

However, once the deer population was up and then there were far more acres under some form of restricted hunting, the deer population spiked even higher as in many cases the NRLO could not, or would not, take enough does to curb the growing deer pop.

By and large, NR's looking to buy land for recreational purposes, predominantly deer hunting, looked to areas with already strong deer populations and relatively low land values, giving them the most acres for less. Southern Iowa had more deer than eastern Iowa, etc, long before there was any NRLO's.

Deer numbers were higher in the lower tier counties due to the terrain difference which makes good habitat berfore NRLO became an issue. That is what drew their interest to the area to begin with not the other way around. It's laughable to think there weren't any deer here until NRLO's came in and showed us how to raise them.

That's not what he said,...3 posts are you Fletch's cousin.

I don't know how to say this without sounding harsh or argue-mental but here's my take. A lot of people that own ground for deer hunting purposes want this season to end. Most people that hunt this season I assume do not own ground. Most of them that hunt this season probably party hunt during shotgun season. These are the same people that constantly get bashed by the big deer managers. Now the deer herd is cycling downward and all the recreational land owners are wanting the help from the non land owners in stopping this(it will take everyone). That's going to be a uphill battle because the people hunting this season don't have as much invested. Deer become nearly extinct in iowa and the people that hunt this season will find something else to do with their time until deer numbers bounce back. Only time will tell but as long as the government is issuing tags there will always be someone willing to fill them.

There was a guy on another forum that suggested they make the late season antlerless statewide. That way the guys from the south can go up north and whack does with rifles (basically pay back).

I bet that would end the season in a hurry

You know, the Iowa deer classic is coming up soon. Why can't the IBA or a group of people come up with some sort of fact based short form propaganda to hand out at the deer classic on the issues regarding the deer herd? You aren't going to have a better chance at reaching more deer hunters than at the classic. Just an idea.

I think that's a great idea!!! How about adding onto that idea.... A booth, such as IBA or ANYONE with our common goals around this.... Having a petition to end Late Shed Buck Season, End Governor Tags and do something about the Governor veto on DNR tag allocations?!?!?!

There was a guy on another forum that suggested they make the late season antlerless statewide. That way the guys from the south can go up north and whack does with rifles (basically pay back). I bet that would end the season in a hurry

Civil war? :)

Daver did a great job of further explaining my point. It was nothing personal against any NRLO's as it was taken. Just the truth about the distribution of Iowa's deer pop. Although I have only posted 3 times, I have been a member longer than you Hardwood, so don't take as someone that only joined to stir the pot. But thanks for jumping to that conclusion also. Don't feel the need to comment on every thread and usually like to sit on the sidelines and let others duke it out on these issues. Since it was taken as an argument against increasing NR tags, will throw out another point to consider. One of the major concerns on here this year that most agree on is that the population has dropped too much over the last few years due to disease and overharvesting of does. This contradicts the earlier statement that more NR tags were needed to effectively control the population.

Daver did a great job of further explaining my point. It was nothing personal against any NRLO's as it was taken. Just the truth about the distribution of Iowa's deer pop. Although I have only posted 3 times, I have been a member longer than you Hardwood, so don't take as someone that only joined to stir the pot. But thanks for jumping to that conclusion also. Don't feel the need to comment on every thread and usually like to sit on the sidelines and let others duke it out on these issues. Since it was taken as an argument against increasing NR tags, will throw out another point to consider. One of the major concerns on here this year that most agree on is that the population has dropped too much over the last few years due to disease and overharvesting of does. This contradicts the earlier statement that more NR tags were needed to effectively control the population.

No problem just kidding anyway...well there are pockets of deer (read hans1 post) and areas with poor deer numbers.

Now you all know how hunting in Grundy County has been for years. I think it's fairly safe to say tag allotments will be cut down, and with time the population will rebound.

I don't know how to say this without sounding harsh or argue-mental but here's my take. A lot of people that own ground for deer hunting purposes want this season to end. Most people that hunt this season I assume do not own ground. Most of them that hunt this season probably party hunt during shotgun season. These are the same people that constantly get bashed by the big deer managers. Now the deer herd is cycling downward and all the recreational land owners are wanting the help from the non land owners in stopping this(it will take everyone). That's going to be a uphill battle because the people hunting this season don't have as much invested. Deer become nearly extinct in iowa and the people that hunt this season will find something else to do with their time until deer numbers bounce back. Only time will tell but as long as the government is issuing tags there will always be someone willing to fill them.

I own ground. I maintain food plots year round and I hunt late season. If I invest my money towards my food plots and cover then I will hunt ever chance I get.

No problem just kidding anyway...well there are pockets of deer (read hans1 post) and areas with poor deer numbers.
No real offense taken here either. After all I also jumped to the conclusion that I'm not related to Fletch. Without knowing who he is I'll never be able to guarentee that 100% :D
Agree about the uneven distribution of the deer population. I see that as driven by the quality of habitat/amount of hunter access in those places as opposed to the residence staus of the land owner though as there are plenty of residents/outfitters that lock up large acreages and limit access also. Problem is NRLO's will always have trouble getting resident support for more tags as long as they are disproportionately represented in the limited access group though.
One point that hasn't been mentioned much on here though for those worried about the population are the depredation tags and the effect they have had. With many people looking for a place for a quality hunt, seems like there should be a better solution to high population pockets than these tags. Don't feel land owners should get rewarded for limiting access with more tags to freely shoot deer they feel are causing too much damage. I am a firm believer in personal responsibility of ones own decisions. While I fully support a land owners rights to decide who and how many people get to hunt their land, I also feel they should be held to those decisions when their harvest is being impacted.

I've hunted the late antler less season in SW IA for 4 years now. I've only seen 1 shed buck shot in the group I hunt with and thats pry 50+ deer taken in those 4 years. I'm not really worried about the shed bucks, but more so the does. A buck is one deer taken out, a doe is her + all of her potential off spring.

Also, I could probably care less about a NRLO not able to hunt his/her own land. If you bought it solely for hunting, find a state that will allow NRLO to hunt their land every year like Kansas. You knew the rules when you bought land here. Not saying it's right, but its not something I care to see changed.

I enjoy the late antler less season and keep in mind its only in counties where quotas were not all sold out, so no extra tags are being sold for the season specifically. I don't see any major changes being made so its up to the hunter to make good decisions for his/her area.

Top Bottom