Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anterless Rifle Season

I guess we're getting no love. Hardwood is talking about the NRLO archery doe tag which was eliminated because allegedly some were "abusing" the privilege. I personally havn't heard of anyone abusing that tag or being cited for doing so, but that argument was floated and listened to. Not saying it didn't happen, I don't know. But by that standard every season and tag would be stricken; there's usually someone, R or NR, in every season acting inappropriately.

I guess we're getting no love. Hardwood is talking about the NRLO archery doe tag which was eliminated because allegedly some were "abusing" the privilege. I personally havn't heard of anyone abusing that tag or being cited for doing so, but that argument was floated and listened to. Not saying it didn't happen, I don't know. But by that standard every season and tag would be stricken; there's usually someone, R or NR, in every season acting inappropriately.

I can tell you this. In our area, many of the NRLO's that came to shoot their doe were always here during the rut. Seems odd.... I would think they would want to hunt the rut in their home state where they could take a buck. Our local C.O. caught guys cheating on that tag. He hated it and said it was an enforcement nightmare. I guess he should know.

I can tell you this. In our area, many of the NRLO's that came to shoot their doe were always here during the rut. Seems odd.... I would think they would want to hunt the rut in their home state where they could take a buck. Our local C.O. caught guys cheating on that tag. He hated it and said it was an enforcement nightmare. I guess he should know.

He knows everyone that knows something.

Good one, doesn't apply to me or Jdubs as regs changed after we bought!!

Do you have any documentation that the state guaranteed you two the regs wouldn't change after purchase? Laws and regs are constantly changing. Always have and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but they always will. If they didn't there would be no reason for this thread. Do you guys do anything to try to improve your home state or do you have all your eggs in this basket? I do like the idea of giving NRlos doe tags based on how much ground they own. I say we start with every nrlo that owns 1000 acres? Give them a few I could understand that. The nrlos that own the small pieces don't need to worry about doe management, the locals can be in and out of those pieces before the law shows up, or at least stop and shoot it out and watch all the deer run to the next section where they are free game! Ha I'm just kiddin fellas! Happy Friday! :)

Do you have any documentation that the state guaranteed you two the regs wouldn't change after purchase? Laws and regs are constantly changing. Always have and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but they always will. If they didn't there would be no reason for this thread. Do you guys do anything to try to improve your home state or do you have all your eggs in this basket? I do like the idea of giving NRlos doe tags based on how much ground they own. I say we start with every nrlo that owns 1000 acres? Give them a few I could understand that. The nrlos that own the small pieces don't need to worry about doe management, the locals can be in and out of those pieces before the law shows up, or at least stop and shoot it out and watch all the deer run to the next section where they are free game! Ha I'm just kiddin fellas! Happy Friday! :)

Of course there is no guarantee that regs will change, they could change tomorrow for the better, who knows? It's not a big deal really, as my primary reason for my purchase is investment.

I've only hunted deer three times in 8-9 years but value has tripled.

Also, I am involved in pushing APR in MN yes...SE Mn has APR and the hunting has really improved. Big bucks and plenty of does on the good farms!!

Bowtech

I know you know what a 1000 acres cost here. That would be 2 million plus at my estimate. So I get a few doe tags on my 1000 acres? The little worthless land owner that has a lowly 200 acres gets nada. Go buy 200 acres today in Monroe will cost you at least 200X2400= 480,000 dollars. Those little landowners around the ranch say if they have a 40 ac min should get a doe tag no matter what. Illinois has the magic 40 rule where that guy gets an automatic tag. I'm sure the state could nix the late season curtail the doe harvest and give the NR landowner an extra point and a doe tag. That way the doe problem is taken care of in a smart manner and there is still an incentive to buy the product= Iowa land and bring people here. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me again Illinois is what you dont want to be and Iowa is the Bench mark. What i'm saying is that NR tags being held back is not waht makes iowa good. If that were the case all my friends that own Illinois farms would sell their sucky places and walk away from the booners they kill and come here. I'm not pitting one against the other but dont fool yourself by thinking Illinois sucks. I know more about that place than I do Iowa really and there are fanstatic pockets over there just like here. I think Iowa used to be good almost every where but I dont think it is any longer. Both states have issues but none of it is because of R or NR tags. I think I will cancel my subscription to QDMA as I dont advocate doe extinction any longer. We as hunters with the bow or the gun need to be the smart ones as govt is using us guys to do their dirty work. We need to Unite men.

Bowtech

I know you know what a 1000 acres cost here. That would be 2 million plus at my estimate. So I get a few doe tags on my 1000 acres? The little worthless land owner that has a lowly 200 acres gets nada. Go buy 200 acres today in Monroe will cost you at least 200X2400= 480,000 dollars. Those little landowners around the ranch say if they have a 40 ac min should get a doe tag no matter what. Illinois has the magic 40 rule where that guy gets an automatic tag. I'm sure the state could nix the late season curtail the doe harvest and give the NR landowner an extra point and a doe tag. That way the doe problem is taken care of in a smart manner and there is still an incentive to buy the product= Iowa land and bring people here. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me again Illinois is what you dont want to be and Iowa is the Bench mark. What i'm saying is that NR tags being held back is not waht makes iowa good. If that were the case all my friends that own Illinois farms would sell their sucky places and walk away from the booners they kill and come here. I'm not pitting one against the other but dont fool yourself by thinking Illinois sucks. I know more about that place than I do Iowa really and there are fanstatic pockets over there just like here. I think Iowa used to be good almost every where but I dont think it is any longer. Both states have issues but none of it is because of R or NR tags. I think I will cancel my subscription to QDMA as I dont advocate doe extinction any longer. We as hunters with the bow or the gun need to be the smart ones as govt is using us guys to do their dirty work. We need to Unite men.

Again, its not about does. Its about access. Any preference on tags for NRLO's will absolutely have a negative impact on access for residents. Period.

Bowtech. You are correct I have no documentation of guaranteed anything, but remember that cuts both ways.

Bowtech. You are correct I have no documentation of guaranteed anything, but remember that cuts both ways.
I understand that and if nrlos get tags every year god willing the sun will come up tmrw. There will always be someone who gets the short end of the stick. If nrlos want to push the the issue I will respectively be on the opposing side because in my mind I see that taking away opportunity for iowa residents. That being said I understand where nrlos are coming from with this issue. I can't predict the future or guarantee that if they were to issue tags yearly that my fears would become reality, but one thing is certain. If nothing is changed my fears on this topic won't become reality.

Why by a farm in iowa when you clearly know you cant get a tag every year and then go haywire about it.
It's printed in black and white...
Dont play the game if you dont like the rules. I have nothing against nrlo at all, I know quite a few. The rules are the rules...

My only fear is that if they start giving tags every year 60+% of the property I hunt will more than likely be leased to someone with a bigger bank account than me.

Why by a farm in iowa when you clearly know you cant get a tag every year and then go haywire about it.
Dont play the game if you dont like the rules. I have nothing against nrlo at all, I know quite a few. The rules are the rules...

My only fear is that if they start giving tags every year 60+% of the property I hunt will more than likely be leased to someone with a bigger bank account than me.

This is what it comes down to....access for the everyday Iowa citizen...and it's getting tougher due to douche bags commercializing it, leasing up ground and running an Outfitting business.

It will be. After they buy the minimum required amount of land to get the tags. Its a very well founded fear.

That's sad to hear!

Not sure what you mean. Do you hunt where I hunt. Do you know my situation? The deer numbers where I am at. Are you my neighbor? Do you help pay for my switch grass ? Are you there to help burn it off every spring ? Helping me with my planter or paying for my seeds? No. Grow up. This is a deer hunting forum. You are so worried about numbers. When 3 years ago everyone was shoot all the does so we can have big bucks. Now it's don't shoot any deer so we can have big bucks. I'm a deer hunter I hunt deer. I have been doing the same thing since 72. Were you around in the 70s and 80s when there were no deer? Where were you when I bought my 360 in 82? Did you help me pay for the 80 I just bought and help plant trees ? No. So why don't you take your that's sad to hear comment and go bark up someone else's tree. When I hear about how many hours you spent in your tree stand if makes me sick. I spend weeks on my land to get it the way I want so I can't hunt how I want. Not throw up trail cams on land I asked permission to hunt and try to find their path and pick em off when they walk by. And complain all year because there are no 150+ bucks. You're hunting. Some people don't even have the chance to go and you're complaining about no big bucks. And blah blah blah if you keep hunting like that there will be no deer. I am on my land every day. I see the numbers on my ground I don't need some wanna be lee and Tiffany's trying to tell me what to do. Sorry for the rant. Good luck to anyone still hunting. And happy food plotting this spring everyone.

Not sure what you mean. Do you hunt where I hunt. Do you know my situation? The deer numbers where I am at. Are you my neighbor? Do you help pay for my switch grass ? Are you there to help burn it off every spring ? Helping me with my planter or paying for my seeds? No. Grow up. This is a deer hunting forum. You are so worried about numbers. When 3 years ago everyone was shoot all the does so we can have big bucks. Now it's don't shoot any deer so we can have big bucks. I'm a deer hunter I hunt deer. I have been doing the same thing since 72. Were you around in the 70s and 80s when there were no deer? Where were you when I bought my 360 in 82? Did you help me pay for the 80 I just bought and help plant trees ? No. So why don't you take your that's sad to hear comment and go bark up someone else's tree. When I hear about how many hours you spent in your tree stand if makes me sick. I spend weeks on my land to get it the way I want so I can't hunt how I want. Not throw up trail cams on land I asked permission to hunt and try to find their path and pick em off when they walk by. And complain all year because there are no 150+ bucks. You're hunting. Some people don't even have the chance to go and you're complaining about no big bucks. And blah blah blah if you keep hunting like that there will be no deer. I am on my land every day. I see the numbers on my ground I don't need some wanna be lee and Tiffany's trying to tell me what to do. Sorry for the rant. Good luck to anyone still hunting. And happy food plotting this spring everyone.

Excellent post. Good for you for shooting a couple of does. I also need to kill a few yet and will be taking a couple of boys out this weekend to have some fun.

What I take from all of this is everyone will do what they want to do. Some feel there's too many deer, some believe the population is too low, and many don't know and don't care. Looks like we must have faith in what the DNR, the biologists, and experts think should be done tag allocation and season wise. Like GOARMY said do what you gotta do.

Top Bottom