Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anterless Rifle Season

I had an awesome public spot down South that was amazing. Had not been down there since 05. The year before I went in there shotgun season and suprisingly nobody had touched I was pumped. Didn't see squat walked around and no sign I was shocked. Later that year I was talking to a guy at work and he was geeked up to go late season doe hunting. He kept raving about this spot he would go. The first year they killed like 40 out of it. The second year like 30, the last year a dozen. They killed over a dozen shed bucks. He kept going on and I realized it was my old honey hole. No wonder there was not anything in there. I asked him how he did that weekend and they killed 3. He was stumped and could not figure out what was going on. He had a group of a dozen guys. It is a shame.

uuhhh.......not 100% sure on that one. pretty sure, the DNR can't implement any/many changes without legislature approval. and, the way the current administration is running things, any DNR official that were to go against the wishes of the establishment, will probably find themselves jobless.
I email with a DNR member quite often and I was told a couple of years ago that it is easier for them to close seasons than lower quotas. I was asking about the late antlerless season being dropped in Allamakee and Cedar county.

You know, the Iowa deer classic is coming up soon. Why can't the IBA or a group of people come up with some sort of fact based short form propaganda to hand out at the deer classic on the issues regarding the deer herd? You aren't going to have a better chance at reaching more deer hunters than at the classic. Just an idea.

Or how about everybody boycotting the Classic? Everyone screams about how video production is killing Iowa, Gov. tags, sketchy residency of the "professional hunters", "Iowa doesn't need more exposure", loss of access due to NRLO, et al.....

Isn't the Classic the ultimate pimp of Iowa deer?

You know, the Iowa deer classic is coming up soon. Why can't the IBA or a group of people come up with some sort of fact based short form propaganda to hand out at the deer classic on the issues regarding the deer herd? You aren't going to have a better chance at reaching more deer hunters than at the classic. Just an idea.
I've been saying this for a while now. The group of people would be we, the hunters. It would have to be more than a one time deal and would have to last a good long time. It would take a full carpet bombing of all major hunting shops, gun shops, gun shows, archery shoots and shops, fund raising banquets Etc. Throw in some large ads in some major Iowa papers and sporting magazines and you might see the results. Good luck and count me in if something develops.

There was a guy on another forum that suggested they make the late season antlerless statewide. That way the guys from the south can go up north and whack does with rifles (basically pay back).

I bet that would end the season in a hurry

Why do you think that Hardwood ??

I guess I just want the season to stop. I just thought it was an interesting quote.
If guys are coming from the north to shoot deer in the south...I think that is wrong

10-4. I wish it would to for you guys.

I actually wish they would have the late season deer season in
N.E. Iowa like they used to (but not rifle ). After looking for MR. big all year I used to fill my freezer during this time of year.

I do feel for you guys with this rifle season down there. :(

Could high deer numbers in the lower tier counties coincide with high NR land ownership and their limited ability to kill deer? I don't know? I think it's a choice of two evils for many here. Kill them with rifles or give more access to NRLO's. Tough situation.

No. But another nice try. As others have said, the NRLO's have every opportunity to control their herd the same as residents do. Just because a resident can get a handful of doe tags does not mean they can effectively manage their land without letting others help. We took over 20 does off my ground two years ago. 7 different hunters. NRLO's cant continue to cry about the inability to control the population on their ground based on tag availability. Its a baseless and self-serving argument with zero merit. One person can not manage deer numbers on large tracts of land. Why keep beating the dead horse?

Of anyone decides to do this, my family owns, and I manage a print shop in Ames. Alpha Copies would love to help out. I'll even throw in some design on my own time. Someone else would need to front the money for printing, but we could help with the actual printing.

On another note, I was the one who auctioned off the logo design for Paul. We're almost done with the Plottin' Booners logo. Looking forward to revealing it on here when it is done.

Fletch, the only tool is you. Get over it NRLO's will not permit people they don't know on their land to manage their deer populations. Give the NRLO the ability through affordable multiple doe tags based on farm size. If not keep your rifle doe season, your in line single shot rifle season and worry about herd size year after year. You're no more than an argumentative ass who looks foolish bashing every and any idea a NRLO suggests because you know it all.

Last edited:
Fletch, the only tool is you. Get over it NRLO's will not permit people they don't know on their land to manage their deer populations. Give the NRLO the ability through affordable multiple doe tags based on farm size. If not keep your rifle doe season, your in line single shot rifle season and worry about herd size year after year. You're no more than an argumentative ass who looks foolish bashing every and any idea a NRLO suggests because you know it all.

How would giving nrlos doe tags help the herd size year after year? Killing more does when numbers are down? I like how you through in the "IF NOT"! Now everybody knows your serious! :)

Thanks for proving my point.

Too bad you cant see the irony in your posts.

I only bash selfish ideas that have no merit.

All I hear is crying, "give us tags!, give us tags!....." But, you don't want to listen to how that would hurt the residents. So, just take NO for an answer and move on.

Sorry, still NO. Quit begging.

Get over it NRLO's will not permit people they don't know on their land to manage their deer populations.

That's worth another look...... lol

Most guys with hunting farms don't have any trouble getting to know people. :D

But, then the NRLO's wouldn't need all those tags would they? hhmmmmm........

All Iowa sportsmen should be relieved to be represented by the views of the all knowing and ever competent:

picture.php

Thanks for proving my point.

Too bad you cant see the irony in your posts.

I only bash selfish ideas that have no merit.

All I hear is crying, "give us tags!, give us tags!....." But, you don't want to listen to how that would hurt the residents. So, just take NO for an answer and move on.

Sorry, still NO. Quit begging.

Sounds like you and the governor have different opinions, he might have a bit more say than you!!

So, again, the best either of you can do is a sophomoric jab. Good luck with that.....

Did you run out of great ideas to benefit NRLO' s and save the Iowa deer herd from its residents?

Maybe the government should start a program that has a few people travel across the state and inform non competent potential out of state buyers the regulations of iowa DNR. That way they can nip this in the bud. I understand a few of you have already fallen through the cracks but it would prevent future misinterpretation. Then everyone that would try changing the regs from out of state could focus more on good cause for their own states natural resources. Then everyone could hunt in their own backyard and viola.

Maybe the government should start a program that has a few people travel across the state and inform non competent potential out of state buyers the regulations of iowa DNR. That way they can nip this in the bud. I understand a few of you have already fallen through the cracks but it would prevent future misinterpretation. Then everyone that would try changing the regs from out of state could focus more on good cause for their own states natural resources. Then everyone could hunt in their own backyard and viola.

Good one, doesn't apply to me or Jdubs as regs changed after we bought!!

Top Bottom