Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Avoiding change VS managing it

I have no dog in this fight. But, the hunting in Iowa is great because of the ways the tags are alloted NOW.... changing it will only be a decline in the deer herd quality. You start creating loopholes for the landowners, the "crooked" people will exploit it... I am not saying that every non resident is terrible, and for sure am not saying that a non resident land owner is terrible. I share a family farm with a guy from Georgia about every three years, and he is a great guy, so its not that I hate non residents. Its the same as the gun hunters, it only takes the few bad apples to create a major problem. Therefore, being a resident, HECK NO, I dont want to change anything, and I dont for see it happening anytime real soon. I plan on sticking to my guns, and not wanting any changes other than to rid Late Doe Season..thats my stance, and sticking to it..

150---easy answer doe management for landowners. No temptation tags needed. Might help lower pockets of high doe numbers so you can get rid of January rifle season?

Keep in mind there already are doe tags for NR but they cost 353? Give me a few doe tags at a reasonable cost, as mentioned before even cheap youth tags....yes we do allow some locals to harvest does and we allowed one local guy to shoot a buck last year....:way:

I don't object to lower prices for NR doe tags. I don't object to more NR doe tags during the gun seasons. I will object to any NR doe tags during the bow season. Hardwood - You seem like a good guy who would use it as it should but too many in the past ruined that one for you. You might call it a doe tag for managing your property. I will call it the temptation tag because of how many NR's used it in the past and I would fight hard against it. I'm not the bad guy here, several bad apple NR's in the past ruined that one for us.

Settle down Ironwood, if you read every post on here, maybe one is asking for more buck tags. I'm asking for more doe tags or even youth tags. Honestly, I would never have thought that anyone would oppose youth tags..?

By the way, not being critical at all of you!

Your good. Anybody with wood is ok. I have receive more crap for my ironwood handle I have been wondering how that hardwood has been treating you. :D

I don't object to lower prices for NR doe tags. I don't object to more NR doe tags during the gun seasons. I will object to any NR doe tags during the bow season. Hardwood - You seem like a good guy who would use it as it should but too many in the past ruined that one for you. You might call it a doe tag for managing your property. I will call it the temptation tag because of how many NR's used it in the past and I would fight hard against it. I'm not the bad guy here, several bad apple NR's in the past ruined that one for us.

This should always be civil, I know you are a well respected guy! Lower $$$ on tags, I'd be happy with that. A doe is a doe, not worth $353

Also your turkey tags are high, can't remember the price but high. Anyway, I'll shut up:D

Selfish eh? I have never hunted Iowa, but whatever I guess.

Literally almost every reply revolves around "screw the NR." No one is willing to listen to a logical explanation on how to get along unless someone completely conforms to not only leaving the rules the same but making them even worse!

So how many Iowa residents have applied the golden rule to hunters from other states?

I can honestly say that this thread speaks for itself. Go back and redhead the entire thread and see what your take is on this? Does it sound like I'm trying to hurt anyone's hunting or actually help out?

I see you've joined this forum recently. Look around and you will notice most of us have been here for years. Every year this debate takes place and it's the same every year. Put yourself in our shoes. Do you honestly think you wouldn't act the same way we are. It's ridiculous. Iowa is fine. These conversations shouldn't even exist.

My point is a contingency plan.

So your plan A is the fight like hell to keep everything the same.....

I get that, but what happens if that plan fails.....

Plan B is??????...

There also could be a time when you really need the help of sportsman, not just Iowa sportsman.....would you expect them to help given their prior treatment?

Plan B is??????...

There also could be a time when you really need the help of sportsman, not just Iowa sportsman.....would you expect them to help given their prior treatment?

yup. We're all in this together. It's kind of like family, I can say what ever I want about members of my own but if some one else tries that crap, they're gonna get a busted lip!!
And I'm pretty sure plan "B" says: "see plan A"

Another topic gave me this idea. I believe Iowa cannot avoid the NR push much longer. With that being said, it seems more appropriate to brainstorm ideas to MANAGE the idea instead of avoid it. This can go sideways so let's not debate whether it will happen but stay in brainstorm mood. What ideas do you have!

What makes you think Iowa can't?:moon:

Plan B is??????...

I don't see you helping unless you move here then your story would change I'm sure. Seems like your just on a fact gathering mission to argue residents points being made. Your being to onesided to see that maybe nothing will change in your favor. You couldn't get Indiana to change what has you so determined Iowa will change in as you say " the next five years?" Why does it have too? Iowa is doing just fine managing the herd we don't need your help.

u don't live here so out shouldn't worry you. no use putting thought time in to it when you have no say in it.

COLTER said:
I don't see you helping unless you move here then your story would change I'm sure. Seems like your just on a fact gathering mission to argue residents points being made. Your being to onesided to see that maybe nothing will change in your favor. You couldn't get Indiana to change what has you so determined Iowa will change in as you say " the next five years?" Why does it have too? Iowa is doing just fine managing the herd we don't need your help.

Let me guess the typical 18-24yr old male response here. Your so wrapped up in your own head you can't see right in front of you.

Like I said many times. I'm not asking Iowa to change, I'm saying be ready for the push because its coming. You will really screw this up if you continue to not plan for anything but your way of thinking.

The only thing that I dont get out of this whole topic... is if you think this push is coming and us Iowans cant stop it.. what makes you think we will have any say in anything that happens then? You really are trying to stir a pot that in all reality, is pointless. As an Iowa born and raised resident, I will tell you, I dont see the push coming as you say. Until Nonresidents own every ounce of land, that push wont be here. Especially now that deer herd numbers have declined as much as they have...

Like I said many times. I'm not asking Iowa to change, I'm saying be ready for the push because its coming. You will really screw this up if you continue to not plan for anything but your way of thinking.

The push has been coming now for quite some time. However, Iowa residents and many nonresidents (who realize WHY Iowa is such a quality deer hunting state), have banded together and fought nonresidents with the mindset that you have.

You get on an Iowa forum, tell us that 'change is coming' and that we need to plan for what to do? Well, we aren't just going to lay down, roll over, and take it. We'll band together, and continue fighting for keeping the NR regulations the way they are.

You can call it 'avoiding change' or whatever else you would like.....I call it fighting to keep what we have. You're not going to get any 'suggestions' out of me, besides keep it the way it is. The way that works. End of story.

Maybe Iowa should go back the way it was when I started deer hunting(1977) no nr tags at all. All residents put in the tag lottery, about 1 out of every 100 tags is for a doe. Only bow is over the counter and one tag per hunter. The deer numbers would be up the nr problem solved and everything is even steven. Land prices would go down so residents could buy it and there would be no need for nr to buy land for hunting. I have read on here many times that deer in Iowa are a resource owned by the residents of Iowa so which resident do i send my bill to. The bill for your deer eating all the food in my plots.
icon7.gif
I don't believe Iowa will ever change and that is ok. I can hunt my land every year, and it don't cost 353.00 for a doe tag. I don't use any loop holes either, and I don't poach, if I don't get a tag oh well. I still own land in Iowa. Once a Hawkeye always a Hawkeye! Just don't lump all nr into one group( the law changing ones)

Top Bottom