Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

AZ Elk Hunt Journal 2012

Almost Forgot...

Remember the Gor-tex boots. :)

NWS is predicting 60-70% chance of heavy thunderstorms up here today and tomorrow, with a 40% chance Wednesday and then tapering off the rest of the week. My Danners are packed! :way:

Best of luck to you the next week or so out there. By the time we are back in internet range, we will be anticipating seeing one of those big bulls with you standing behind it. Be safe and good luck!!!!

Best of luck to you the next week or so out there. By the time we are back in internet range, we will be anticipating seeing one of those big bulls with you standing behind it. Be safe and good luck!!!!

Same here Brian.

Good Luck and be safe. :way:

Brian,

All the best on your adventure over the next 10 days. Looking forward to seeing this story unfold and reading about your hunt. Hopefully, You get a chance to update with some photos of the coconino and your trip. Good luck buddy , stay safe and let your arrow find its mark.

Kratz

jkratz5 said:
Brian,

All the best on your adventure over the next 10 days. Looking forward to seeing this story unfold and reading about your hunt. Hopefully, You get a chance to update with some photos of the coconino and your trip. Good luck buddy , stay safe and let your arrow find its mark.

Kratz

Thanks Jarin and everyone! If I can figure out how to upload and post pics from my phone, I'll try for a real-time update!

Someone let me know if this pic of my pups worked!

ForumRunner_20120910_171930.jpg

Good luck! I've enjoyed all your updates and wish you the best of luck in taking down one of those big bulls! :way:

Camp is Set and an Omen

Last night as I was going through final gear preps, I notice my trailer hitch stinger was missing the nut off the hitch ball! :confused: That one scared me because I don't know if it came loose as we were pulling the camper out or on the drive home. I got up this morning, took my kids to school and stopped at Walmart to buy a new 2" ball. I got it on and used some Loc-Tite this time on the nut! :way: I got out to camp this morning and was relieved to see it pretty dry, considering the roads were a little muddy. I had to use 4-lo in one stretch to make sure I wouldn't slip and slide too much on the hill. I honestly don't remember using 4-lo since I was living in Iowa! I got to camp and backed up to the camper to unload gear and notice the WHOLE stinger hitch was missing! Apparently, my locking hitch pin came undone and the ENTIRE stinger went for a ride somewhere! :thrwrck: I looked on the road on my drive back in, but after meeting about 4 other trucks, I'm assuming it got picked up. I truly hope that is the end of my bad luck on this hunt. I stopped at Walmart again and picked up a new stinger with a new locking hitch pin. :rolleyes:

My buddy should be here shortly and we'll grab last minute groceries and head back out for the duration. I hope to get some "live" updates now that I know how to upload pics from my phone. Stay tuned! :D

Camp is set upand bow is shooting great. Went for a walk and found these fresh tracks (1-2 days old) less than 1/4-mile from camp! I love the forest!!

blakesburg said:
That is a bear is it not??? What kind of bear down there??

We have black bears in Arizona. Pretty good size for these parts. This unit is known to be a good bear unit!

I swear, sitting here waiting for tomorrow is the hardest part. We've got a plan in place and are excited, except for the atvs driving on closed roads.

Here is a view from camp, though.

ForumRunner_20120913_131836.jpg

Wow! Camp looks beautiful. Are the bulls talking much? I'd think it should be right around primetime down there for bugling action.

Looking forward to seeing you standing over one of those AZ behemoths!

Great view from camp, I always loved the coconino, one of the most beautiful places I have ever spent time in. Looking forward to hearing more about the hunt.

Kratz

So far, its elk: 1; good guys: 0. We got up at 0330, left camp around 0415 and hiked up the hill to where we wanted to be by 0430. As soon as we had enough light, we moved in to the timber. We thought we heard a distant bugle and that was exciting. As soon as I had good shooting light, my buddy let out a good locator bugle, but it went unanswered. No matter what, the bulls just weren't talking.

We eventually split about 50 yards apart and sat cow calling. After about 30 minutes, we got up and my buddy picked up movement across the drainage heading our way. He whispered "bull...spike.". He backed off and cow called while I got ready, trying to decide how badly I wanted to fill my tag 2 hours into the season. At just over 50 yards away and with no shot, the spike saw something he didn't like and trotted casually away, not overly worried. We covered some ground, but nothing but a couple of fresh tracks and a pile of fresh elk scat. Time for lunch, a nap, and a new game plan.

Top Bottom