Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

AZ Elk Hunt Journal 2012

Rookie Mistake Leads to Heartbreak

After my daughter's awesome soccer game yesterday morning and then fulfilling my soccer parent duties for the tournament, I went out to try again. It was an unseasonably hot day so I decided it was time to sit on a stock tank to see if elk were thirsty. I opted to leave the ground blind at home and just blend into the bushes above the tank. The wind wasn't favorable for sitting further up canyon on the trail they typically use, so I found a spot with good shooting lanes near where the trail comes in. My closest shot would be 40 yards and my furthest would be right at my 60 yard pin (because I'm comfortable that far out :D).

It was tough to sit for 2 hours without a ground blind, but I managed. I had a jake come in to within 15 yards of me early on and then had a flock of about 20 toms skirt behind me within 40 yards. I heard a couple of distant bugles around 1700, but nothing materialized. I gave soft cow calls periodically to give the impression of cows around the tank. At 1800, with about 20-30 minutes of shooting light left, I decided it was the "magic hour" (I actually call it the witching hour) and I should stand up for the duration. Shortly after that, I noticed movement to my northwest and watched as 2 calves followed by a cow (elk) started coming down into the trail. Then I noticed another cow coming in behind. There had to be a bull with them. The lead calf was looking my direction, but I was able to stand still as it and its sibling made their way to the tank. The lead cow gave a look in my direction, but followed her calves to the tank. It was great to watch them drink and watch the calves wade out to just above their belly line and frolick just 42 yards from me. :way: I looked for the 2nd cow and noticed the bull hanging back about 60-70 yards up canyon in the trees. He looked to be a decent 5x5; not a raghorn, but not a giant. At any rate, I decided as hard as I have worked for over a week, I'd try and take him if he came in. The 2nd cow came into the tank right at my 60 yard mark. I looked back up to find the bull, but couldn't see him. I thought I had a clear moment to put my binocs up and look for the bull. My heart was POUNDING. I saw him milling around and that's when it happened. I looked down and the lead cow (with the calves) was staring right at me as I lowered my binocs. BUSTED BIG TIME! :thrwrck: She rounded up her calves and the 2nd cow and trotted off in the direction she came from. I gave a soft cow call and they stopped, but then casually walked off to the bull. Shortly after that, he let out a bark and I knew there was no chance. STUPID ROOKIE MISTAKE!!! But it was fun while it lasted and that feeling in my chest is why I keep going out and keep hunting. If I ever lose that feeling, I will quit hunting. We have one more game in about an hour and then I have to decide if I'm going out tonight or if I'm going to hang out with my family and get some sleep so I can get up at 0300 tomorrow and go to another area I know of.

You realize it would be more ethical if you could set up within 30 yards of where the animals are going to be traveling!!(notice the sarcasm) This journal has been great and I am following closely. Can't wait til you end it standing behind a monarch that you center punch at say, 63 yards.

Busted By Cows...but Still Having Fun!

Ijust wish you'd quit screwing around already and kill something. ;)

You and me both, Matt!!

I got up at 0300 this morning got out to my spot way too early. Within 200 yards of the truck (parked near a stock tank), I heard the forest come alive with the sound of animals running crazy and hooves bouncing all over rocks. :thrwrck: I immediately got off the road and sat under a nice pine tree and then felt overwhelming relief when I heard the "moos" of cattle. :eek: I sat there for about an hour nodding off occasionally until my guts told me I had to get up and do something or end up in a bad situation. I swear, elk hunting reminds me a lot of being on a wildfire in that aspect. It doesn't matter what you eat, for 14+ days, your guts are unhappy and you have no choice but to listen or suffer dire consequences! ;)

As soon as I got good enough light, I worked my way up onto the bench I wanted to hunt and in no time I was slowly picking my way through the remnants of a tornado from 2 years ago. Fortunately, I found some elk and cattle trails to help me move slightly faster than a constipated snail. I did some lost cow calling and an occasional bugle to see if there anybody was home in the blow down. As soon as I made it through the tangles, I found a good, fresh trail with fresh elk tracks and scat. I got up in the standing timber a ways from the blow down and gave a locator bugle. Hearing nothing, I kept on moving forward and then it happened. A big bull screamed at me from about 120 yards back, just outside of the blow down (maybe 100-150 yards north of where I exited). I gave him a cow call and he obliged very loudly. I worked my way back toward him to cut some distance and I saw him moving in the tangles about 100 yards in front of me. Then he made me mad. He walked right back into the blow down and I could hear him breaking branches as he went. After a few minutes, he got quiet, so I back tracked and went back to Plan A of working that bench.

I think I made it another 50 yards when I heard that big boy screaming from the timber right behind me. I cut back and gave him some sweet talking cow calls,which he seemed to love. He responded frequently, loud, and close. I quickly found a set up and started ranging trees from 20-60 yards out. I honestly this was going down and I'd finally get to send that "Bull Down!" text! Instead, that SOB skirted around my north flank (still screaming within 100 yards) and just kept on walking west. :mad: I gave him a soft-hearted challenge (hoping I'd sound like I needed my butt kicked) and he obliged, but he was heading off west. Figuring he was pushing cows, I gathered my composure and took off. Luckily he bugled every few minutes, allowing me to get a bearing on him. After about a quarter-mile, he got quiet and I got both hungry and hot (2 long sleeves for the morning chill). I was contemplating a quick snack and shedding a layer when he screamed again. These are the times I'm thankful for all of my wildfire training where I'm used to pushing forward another few miles (or hours) hungry and overheated. I took off after him again and worked my downwind of him, cutting at an angle. As I got to where I figured him to be, I looked up and could see his cows about 80 yards in front of me. Some were milling about, but some were starting to wander off to my right. I started to work my way in a bit closer, but the dry duff layer betrayed me. Even though I was working very slow and steady, I'm pretty sure a cow heard/saw me move and they turned around and took off in the opposite direction. I started giving some lost cow calls, hoping that would slow them down and bring them in to look for one of their missing friends. I thought it was starting to work when I could see his antlers 80-90 yards off. I knew I had clear lanes out to 50 yards and only needed him to come investigate 40-50 more yards, but it wasn't in the cards this morning.

What can I say? That bull has one set of eyes that is fixed on one and only one thing. Those 6-8 cows have 6-8 sets of eyes that are fixed on surviving. Its tough getting the drop on a bull when he has 6-8 sets of eyes looking for danger.

I'm getting ready to head back to the same stock tank tonight that I was at the other night. Lessons learned, no rookie mistakes. I'm headed back out to the general are of this morning tomorrow morning and then my RCIA class tomorrow night. I'm trying to stay in God's good graces by being at class instead of elk hunting! I confided in my daughter and wife last night that there is a part of me that is ready to give up, but I refuse to be a quitter. If I quit with only 4 days left, I'll spend all next week and the rest of eternity kicking myself. Both my wife and daughter reminded me that I'm not a quitter, which was comforting. They could have easily encouraged me to stay home since I've been gone so much this summer with scouting and now hunting. I love my family!

Frustrating Morning!

Sooo fricken close. You're killin me smalls

I read that last night waiting for an elk to come into the stock tank I was watching and about peed my pants! I'm still laughing reading is this morning! Thank you!!

This morning was a VERY frustrating morning. Maybe my ethics are way too high and my moral compass points the right direction way too often. If I see a truck parked in the area where I had planned to hunt, I don't park next to it (or near it) and go hunt anywhere around there. I have no idea where the other hunter is so I could bump him and ruin his hunt as well as ruining my own hunt. Not this particular jackwagon this morning. As I was sitting in the woods at 0430, waiting for shooting light, I heard him park near my truck and shut truck doors near my truck (it was very obvious by the sound). Then, a couple of hours later, right after I let out a locator bugle, I look over and there he is, about 120 yards to my left moving the same direction! I know its public land, but really? Its a big forest with lots of elk. Go find somewhere else to hunt and show some #$%&* ethics! :mad:

At least Monday morning when I ran into the other hunter it was a genuine case of he came from one FS road and I came in from another. Those things happen and I can live with that. But to park your truck near another hunter's truck and wander into the woods not knowing where the other hunter is? :thrwrck:

As if that wasn't enough, my wife called and asked if I could get our daughter's school picture order in, which she forgot to grab and it is due today. On my way to my daughter's school, some other jackwagon pulls right out in front of me, forcing me to slam on my breaks. A Dodge Ram 1500 doesn't stop on a dime, but my horn sure works. Then I notice him looking at me in his side view mirror like I'm the idiot. Then, as I'm heading back home, a tourist pulls a u-turn (illegal) just east of downtown Flagstaff on Route 66 right in front of me. Again, my horn works great, but my truck doesn't stop on a dime when I'm cruising at 40 mph! Just as soon as I recovered from that idiot, another idiot pulls into oncoming traffic right in front of me. I got that one in time to swerve, but I made sure he knew my horn worked. I know it wasn't nice, but I also kinda told him he was #1...:way:

It is now officially nap time before I have to pick up my kids from school and fulfill some family obligations. Before I go, though, I want to give a big shout out to Tony (Risto). Its not very often I give my personal cell phone out to people I only know through a hunting forum, but Tony's been good to me over the last couple of years with a supply of morels! He's been texting me off and on with words of encouragement. Yesterday's was the best yet. He told me I couldn't quit. I told him I don't know how to quit (even when it goes through my head, I'm just not wired to quit). Here are the words that have stuck with me since yesterday afternoon as I was getting ready for last night's hunt: "You better not quit until the last light. Last day buddy." Thanks, Tony! I have no intention of walking away from this until it is too dark to see an animal Thursday night!

Dude, my wife and I are pulling for ya! Keep at it! And I'm with jmoose about the never wanted anyone to kill something so badly thing.

You can dooo ittt!!!!!!!

Just gotta call your shot.
sandlot.jpg

Back in the Action This Morning

Gundog, you are cracking me up. "You're killin me smalls" is turning into the story of my hunt! That picture is AWESOME! Thank you!! :D

I ran into a buddy at the archery shop yesterday afternoon and he told me he had the day off and then asked me if I was going hunting in the morning. Of course I was and he offered to go along. This guy likes to hunt and he knows elk. I told him about the area I was thinking of checking out and we set a plan to meet up at 0430. He knew the area fairly well. :way:

We met up and listened off the road for a bit, which was a nice change from hiking in the dark. At 0530, there was just enough light to start hiking in. About halfway up the mountain, we cut several well used trails and most of them had fresh tracks on them. We ended up staying on one of the trails and following the contours, which made for nice, quiet walking. After we got up there a bit, he let out a locator bugle. I thought I heard something off in the distance from behind us, but wasn't sure. We kept on going and then cut over the top when we were farther up. We had a canyon below us and another peak across from us. He let out a bugle and it was met by 2 separate bugles across the way. Rather than chase right away, we sat and listened, bugling with them off and on to see how fired up they were. We finally figured they were ready and took off. Down the canyon and up the other side we went to where we thought they were bugling from. Of course they moved on us, but we now had one bull to our right (down wind) and another to our left (up wind). We chose the upwind bull even though the other one was closer. It didn't actually take too long to catch up and we were following fresh tracks. We worked our way across a fire scar and around the contours and literally stepped in fresh (minutes old) elk poop! Every time I find fresh elk poop, I step in it and smear it on my boots as the ultimate cover step.

In less than 40 yards, we could smell them! Then the bull let out a bugle from a bench right above us! We were on them and he was CLOSE! As we were forming a plan, I happened to look over and about 70-80 yards to our right I could see antlers. Turns out it was a spike (actually a 1x2), but he was raking some bushes. Then I looked up and saw the body of the bigger bull. We got set up for the shot and calling and as my buddy offered a challenge bugle up in this guy's face, I got the feeling that something was watching me. I glanced to my right and that spike had bedded down and was looking at me from about 60-70 yards away. I could see his nostrils moving with each breath and he had a big head! The big bull wouldn't come in and the spike eventually got up and casually walked around. I thought for a minute he was going to come check us out and that point, I would have taken him. As I watched him walk I way, I immediately found myself saying "You're killing me smalls!" and started laughing. I really want to fill my tag, but man do I love that feeling of my heart pounding out of my chest when I've got an arrow knocked and its game time!

We chased the elk for about another mile with sporadic bugles before they got completely quiet and we couldn't find where they bedded. It was hot and we were both hungry. At one point after the encounter, I was going to suggest we stop for a quick snack (granola bar) and right as I was opening my mouth to talk, the bull bugled and I forgot I was hungry. All in all, it was great to be back in the action after yesterday, especially with a friend who values the hunt itself, and not how big an elk is or that you absolutely have to fill your tag to experience success. All told we covered 6 miles this morning in less than 5 hours. Although I do hikes like that regularly, I was pretty proud of myself, because my buddy is 12 years younger than I am and he's a billy goat! I'm off to a sit at a water tank again in a few minutes and am thinking I may go back to that same area by myself tomorrow morning. Tomorrow is the last day of my hunt. I've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Like Tony (Risto) said, I won't quit until the last light of the last day.

I don't know...maybe I'll hop in the truck and head back to Iowa Friday. I hear there are some big elk running around in SW Iowa! ;)

Last edited:
Lots of Encounters

Don't wait! Go right at them and get close. Nothing to lose. Good Luck!

Thank you for the encouragement. I used it last night along with some words from texting back and forth with Tony (Risto). I went to the stock tank that I've been frequenting of evenings lately and at 1640, I had a bull bugling across the canyon, probably within 300 yards. I was faced with a tough decision: sit tight and hope he comes into water or go after him aggressively, risking busting the waterhole. Tony and I had been texting off and on, filling him in on my morning and I mentioned my decision. He writes back: "Tough decision. Gotta make something happen. Time is drawing near unfortunately." Those words right there along with DOR's words above helped me make my decision. If he gives me another bugle, I'm chasing. Afterall, I've got nothing to lose, everything to gain, and I need to make something happen! 5 minutes later, he bugled and I grabbed my gear and took off. When I got close, he bugled again and I challenged him. He wasn't happy and the chase began! He would move up slope and I would follow, challenging him every time I got close. I reckon there were several times I was 60 yards from him, but it was STEEP up there with some dense trees and understory. A couple of times I could hear him moving. On several occasions I found myself thinking about what I would do in this steep country if I got him down and then decided I had at least 2 friends who would be there in a heartbeat and I'd worry about it all after I got him down. The chase kept going and after my 6 mile jaunt yesterday morning, my legs were turning to jelly on me, but I kept after it. Fortunately, I was mostly on well used elk trails, but, at one point, I was grabbing vegetation to help pull me up the steepest parts. As we neared the crest of the top, I could smell elk and then another bull sounded off. I had two bulls screaming at each other and me. I remember turning around seeing how high I was on the steep slope and saying "Don't look back/down again". The one bull was still above me bugling but the other bull was parallel to me, about 50 yards to my left. I could hear him moving and stepping on rocks. I clipped my release thinking for sure he was coming in. I grabbed a stick and raked the branch next to me, hoping he would answer the challenge, but the whole world got suddenly quiet. After a couple of unanswered challenges, I decided I didn't want to traverse back down this steep ridge face in the dark so I started working my way back. I had a great view and thought of my wife (supposed to pick my daughter up from soccer practice if I was back in time), so I gave her a quick call. As much as I love my wife's voice, that was the dumbest thing I've ever done hunting. I was stepping over a down log and the downhill side was farther away than I thought. I slipped and fell 6 plus feet down hill headfirst. Luckily some of the things my dad taught me kicked in and I was able to turn my body landing safely. My bow took a ride, but landed on the quiver instead of the site. All my wife heard was cussing and me yelling "I'm falling". As soon as I recovered, I grabbed my phone and instinctively asked my wife if she was ok (remember, she is at home, standing in the kitchen). :thrwrck: She asked if I was ok and, after a quick check, I told her I was fine. We decided I should hang up the phone and just get back to the truck. :eek: I was pretty shaken by the fall and know how lucky I was as well as how dumb I was. When I got home, we both had a good laugh at me asking if she was ok. :D

I decided to hunt close to home this morning and went back to the area where I had the bull cross the highway last week. Right at first shooting light, I let out a locator bugle and got an answer pretty quickly. He sounded big and I knew where he was based on prior trips in there. Keeping both Tony's and DOR's words in the front of my mind, I decided it was time to get in his face and make this happen. I caught up to him and we started in on each other from less than 100 yards away. I could hear him crashing rocks on the slope above me and could tell where he was headed. After almost 9 miles of chasing elk yesterday in steep hills and canyons, I didn't really like the idea of heading back up this same ridge face (just farther north from last night), but no glory comes to those who sit idly! I jumped back on the elk trail I came in on and we screamed back and forth at each other for several minutes as we paralleled each other. I finally caught up to him and could see him through the trees. He was BIG! We screamed a little more at each other and I got right up on him. My heart was pounding out of my chest from the hike and the excitement. I looked up and there he was...60 yards in front of me with a big Arizona Cypress between us. I couldn't move because he was looking my direction and, despite my best challenge chuckle, he wouldn't move to take a closer look. I watched him turn and head up the hill. :( That didn't stop me, though and I stayed on him, even though he was quieting down a little. I could see him moving in the trees less than 100 yards in front of me and then he disappeared. Then I heard his cows all around me giving the lost cow call, so I joined in the mix and he fired off again, giving me his position. I tried my best to get on him again and I could tell by his last bugle where he was going. I turned tail and took off up the hill again, but man can elk cover those steep slopes like they are nothing! By the time I crested the finger coming down off the ridge that joins the main canyon, they were all long gone and quiet. I finally took some time to get some water and a snack before I crashed physically. My last morning of elk hunting was over by 0800, but all I could do was smile at the encounter that took place an hour earlier. I dogged that guy for over an hour from 0600-0730.

Its time to rest and let my legs recover a bit before my last effort tonight. I'm thinking that with this heat these last few days and the encounters around the stock tank last night, there are going to be some thirsty elk tonight. My plan is to go back to the tank and sit and wait. But who knows what will happen if I hear a bugle! :way:

I've come to realize that "So Close" has become the opus of my hunt, but I can't thank you all enough for the words of encouragement and support so far. I will be sitting on that tank until there is absolutely no shooting light tonight. Last light of the last day!

It sounds like youve done everything right in the woods and at homes. Bound to pay off sometime in more ways than one. Tonight may be the night or it may not, but you can be damn proud of what youve accomplished the last few weeks.

Best of luck to you tonight!

Top Bottom