Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

AZ Elk Hunt Journal 2012

What a night! After a day and a half of NOTHING, a buddy sent me a text with a tip. We rolled out of camp a little earlier to check the area out. Long story short, we found elk! I got busted on a stalk 10 yards from getting in range of a decent 5x5! Then we picked up a big boy bugling LOUD and strong within 200 yards. We worked him until last light, but he wouldn't commit. We have a plan for the morning, though. Fingers are crossed and hopes are up!!

What a morning! No tag filled yet, but are having fun chasing them. Went back into last night's spot early this morning and got on a bull bugling every so often. We chased him over half a mile before finally catching up to him and his harem. We fell back and did some cow calling, but got nothing. Figuring they walked off, we gave a quick challenge bugle and he fired back from the same area 100 yds in front of us. I crept forward and my buddy gave a soft bugle and chuckle. He snapped back quickly. I finally saw him coming to check out his challenger and he was a big 5x5 or 6x6. All I know for sure is that he is big. I had him at 50 yards, but he was quartering to me behind some branches. My heart was POUNDING, hoping he'd take 5 more steps to my right. I'm guessing since he didn't see the other bull, he just turned around and walked away, casually pushing his cows with him. WHAT A RUSH!! We came back to town for a hot shower, some good chow, and to resupply on some groceries. Back to that area this afternoon and evening!

What a RUSH so far!

Yesterday morning, we went back into an area adjacent to Sunday morning's encounter, figuring we'd give him some time to cool off and relax. When you are hunting with your best friend that you don't see often enough and haven't hunted with in 6 years, all kinds of crazy things happen. Since this is a family oriented forum, I'll leave those details out, but suffice it to say, my buddy and have been having a blast and our sides have been hurting from the laughter at stupid things we each do. On that note, I have another buddy who lives over in Kingman (he's been following the journal as a guest) and he sent me an email before my hunt reminding me what the hunt is really all about: time in the woods, slowing down from the rat race, forgetting work, remembering your family, and (most importantly), remembering why you hunt in the first place. I know you are reading this, Bill, and I can't thank you enough for the words. Every encounter we've had so far has made this hunt a success, whether or not a tag gets filled!

Back to yesterday, as we were working our way in deeper, I finally got the confidence to try my diaphragm bugle call (my buddy's bugle tube was taken from the back of my truck at Walmart Sunday afternoon :thrwrck:) and we got a good response from a nearby bull. We immediately gave chase to cut the distance. He wasn't bugling regularly and wasn't responding to cow calls, but he gave us enough of a bone to head his direction. Just when he quieted down, we heard a bugle behind us, so I responded with a challenge bugle and we took off. The challenge was met a bit later. When we got to a road we crossed, I looked down the road through my binocs and saw three guys standing next to their truck, with bugle tubes! :thrwrck: I REALLY HATE road hunters, unless there is a valid excuse like a disability (which I completely understand and support). These guys were perfectly healthy, but driving the roads like the lazy SOBs they are and bugling every so often. They never saw us, so we went back in the direction we came from hoping that big boy would throw us another bone. It didn't take long and he obliged (did I mention he sounded BIG?) and we crossed the canyon we heard him call from to get ahead of him. We challenged and he fired back. When we realized that the wind would push our scent back down on him into the canyon bottom, we crossed back, side sloping to get ahead of him. That's when he called from the other side of the canyon! :rolleyes: We hustled back down and back up hot on his tail. We hadn't heard from him in a while so I figured it was time to challenge him again, since that was the only way he'd respond. He BELTED one out 100 yards directly across the canyon from us then, 10 seconds later, BELTED another challenge at us. We figured we had him, so I dropped to the canyon bottom and my buddy stayed mid-slope to try and call. I got to the bottom and had to scramble to find cover since I ended up in the open. I could hear him milling about above me, but then he ended up walking off. We collected ourselves and gave chase again, back up the other side of the canyon. I think this is the point where I realized the canyon was getting STEEPER the farther down canyon we got. We couldn't get him to sound off again, but kept picking up "that smell" of elk nearby. We had to shed some clothes due to the temps increasing and us crossing the canyon 3 or 4 times (lost count) and then grab a snack to replenish lost calories (something about bouncing back and forth across a canyon really burns calories). As we were sitting there, that big boy belted one out from across the main canyon (our "little" canyon turned out to be a tributary to a MUCH LARGER canyon). I answered his call and he and I ended up challenging each other off and on for about 10-15 minutes! :way: That was so much fun. We were debating on heading back to the truck and it was then that an email from Wayne (Bowman) clicked with me (thanks to having my smart phone in my pocket). He said "Hunt smart, hunt hard, and go that extra mile. Do that and you will experience success even if a tag isn't filled." I looked at Rob and said, "I have to try and chase him. If I walk away, I'll spend the rest of my days wondering and this is the time to go that extra mile." Our plan was to get on the ridge over there and draw him up to us. So back across the trib canyon we went, circled up and through a bowl, and realized that was the end of the road. What we couldn't see from our vantage point, was that the main canyon (did I mention it was WIDE and STEEP?) separated us again, with no connecting ridge line. We took a quick tally and realized we had less than 3 liters of water between the two of us, an MRE each, and no idea if there were any roads to ease the burden of packing an elk out. On top of that, the canyon walls were steep and rocky enough that it would have likely required hands and knees climbing to get up the other side. To go after this bull would have literally put our lives at risk and, as badly as I wanted him, I wanted to see my family again more. So back across the canyon we went again and started the long hike back to the truck. All told, we spent about 3 hours chasing this guy and hiked about 4 miles round trip (as the crow flies). 4 miles, itself, isn't a great distance for us, but when you add in 5 or 6 canyon crossings (same canyon), it adds up quickly!

We packed up camp and headed back here to home because my buddy had to leave to go back to Moab today. We went out this morning, heard a couple of bugles, but nothing materialized. I'm heading off to take a nap and then head back out this afternoon/evening. I'll hit it again tomorrow morning if nothing happens, and then I have to take a day or two break to see my family again. My daughter has a soccer tournament this weekend, so hunting this weekend is out, unless her and I can get away Saturday night to sit on a tank. If nothing has happened by then, my buddy from Kingman may come over Sunday night and help me for a couple of days next week. I've learned a lot of good lessons so far, but the most important one is the value of my family and their support and the value of my closest friends and their support.

Stay tuned. I may be worn out and tired after 5 days of getting up at 0330 and hiking myself into dehydration most days, but I haven't lost my will power yet! :way:

Last edited:
i love your perspective Brian. you've got a whole lotta fans back here in iowa rooting for you buddy!! keep at it and your hard work will pay off!

i love your perspective Brian. you've got a whole lotta fans back here in iowa rooting for you buddy!! keep at it and your hard work will pay off!

You have no idea how much I appreciate that! I just re-read my latest entry and I should clarify a couple of things:

1) I have always highly valued my family. I have skipped days of hunting in years past because I was having too much fun with my family at the time I should have been leaving. Its the times like last night and today when my wife keeps encouraging me to get out there and fill my tag and not get discouraged, yet she is taking care of both of our kids pretty much as a single mom while I am hunting. She could easily make an argument for me to stay home; yet she offers words of support and encouragement. My kids hate me being gone, but instead of complaining about me being gone, they give me big hugs (sometimes not letting go forever) and keep telling me "I hope you get a big one, daddy!" Its those times that I reset my willpower to continue and not give up. That is the value I was referring to in my family. Yes, I ordered flowers for my beautiful wife right after my last journal entry! :way:

2) I have always valued my closest friends, as well. But when a friend is willing to drop what he has going on to drive 6 hours down to hunt with you, including adding an extra day, to help you have a successful hunt or its a friend that says "I can't make it this week, but I should be able to take a couple of days off next week and drive over there and hunt with you.", you know just how good of friends you really have and that also gives you the strength to suit back up, wake up at 0300 or 0330 and chase those bugles!

I'm throwing down some chow as I type this and chugging an Emergen-C to keep my energy and hydration up (as well as my immune system) so I can get back out there in about 30 minutes. Every time I start walking away from my truck, I say a prayer for a fun hunt with at least an encounter, if not a filled tag. After every encounter, I thank God and my dad for what just happened and I'm hoping that I will be rewarded soon with that clear shot and straight-flying arrow inside of 60 yards.

I'm also rooting for you bud, just waiting for the day I try to open this thread with my phone and it lags out because of harvest photos. Keep at it.

Keep working, don't give up, and when you take the horns home those hugs you get from your family will turn into memories. I love it when I have been fortunate enough to harvest an animal and my daughters are there to experience it when I pull into the driveway. This year my oldest daughter (she's 6) is determined to go with me on a couple of hunts. Even though you think you are leaving them, more than like you are going to make them into hunters. Keeping them involved in small things like trail cam checks or letting them pull your arrows out of the targets. Soon your kids will be hunting with you and then you won't care if you fill your tag as you will only care if your kids fill their's. Best of luck and keep us updated. Awesome thread. I keep hoping to open this and see a moster bull.

Thanks again for the support and encouragement, guys! I have no doubt my kids will be hunters. They've both made it very clear to me and my wife!

Live update from the field: I slept in an extra 30 minutes this morning and got up at 0400. As I was gearing up at the truck at 0450, I heard a couple of bugles. One was behind me and one in front of me. Behind me is out of my unit, but the screamer in front of me was in my unit. I worked my way into where I left two bulls screaming last night with the plan to get on them again first thing. At 0515, I had a big bull start bugling within 200 yards of me. I fought the urge to bugle back since I didn't have shooting light. I was excited though! I could tell he was moving around and as soon as I could see pins, I knocked an arrow and let a bugle rip. He answered, but a little farther away. He loved my cow calls and readily answered my challenges! No matter what, though, he wouldn't close the distance. I moved a hundred yards closer and realized he was across the highway (89A from Flagstaff to Sedona) in the other unit! He was very interested in my cow calling, but he wouldn't cross. With morning traffic increasing, I also didn't like the idea of bringing him across in front of someone's vehicle. I finally backed out and climbed part way up the ridge. I can hear him now and then, but its otherwise quiet right now. All I need is one bugle close by and I'm back in the game!!

I also just remembered that we took a couple of field pics with my phone.

Here's my buddy getting ready for an afternoon hunt (this was staged by my buddy...he's not really that fruity about hunting and camo face paint).

ForumRunner_20120919_120508.jpg

And here I am in a good mood getting ready to get after them (yes, that's my IW hat!)!

ForumRunner_20120919_120630.jpg

Last edited:
Anything positive happen today?

Yeah, I remembered that there are days I positively hate my job! I took a day off from hunting today to rest my body and get my timesheet filled out (Uncle Sam is funny that way when you want to get paid). I had every intention of a quick update earlier this morning talking about lessons learned so far and other introspectives, but my went south quickly.

I started out the day as the hydrant, but I'm ending it as the dog! :way: My daughter has her first soccer game of her tournament tonight, so we're getting ready to head there. I'm getting up at 0300 tomorrow morning to drive back out to my original spot where I had the encounters with the bulls. I have a renewed energy and hope. Knowing I have 2 or 3 friends in town that will come out when I get a bull on the ground helps!

Stay tuned...

Got up at 0300 this morning and drove out to an area close to last Sunday's action. Hiked in a ways and sat in the dark for about an hour before shooting light. Had a couple of bugles close by in the dark. As soon as I had light, I was chasing the closest one. He answered a few times, but took off away from me. Couldn't catch up to him and he got real quiet. Changed directions and found this rub.

ForumRunner_20120921_063353.jpg

Just heard a bugle in front of me. Gotta go!

Good luck this weekend. I hope to find a harvest photo on Monday. I'm heading to god's country (southern iowa) to put the finishing touches on tree stands.

GET ON IT BRIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm tired of waiting

:grin:

You and me both,Thomas! You and me both! :(

That other bugle I heard turned out to be another hunter. I saw him first and he never saw me. He was about 100 yards to my west, which is where I was making my way. Had to change plans. I suppose the positive side of it is that I recognized him from last Thursday/Friday and it was good to see him out of his UTV and walking for a change. I started heading back to where I heard another bull this morning at 0500 (followed by loud dog barks) and around 0700, I heard 7 rapid pistol shots to my east, in the direction I was heading. :thrwrck: Shortly after that, I heard the logging equipment fire up and the smell of diesel started trickling down towards me. Time for a nap and this afternoon I have to take my daughter to her riding lessons. We have soccer game number 2 of the tournament tomorrow morning, but my wife suggested we get a babysitter for Saturday afternoon/evening so she could join me hunting another area that has been recommended by a friend (close to home, too). Then we have the last 2 games of the tournament Sunday and I will regroup and get back at it. I haven't given up yet, and my boss and family are still supportive of me heading back out next week.

I will add this, to help keep my perspective. As much as I love hunting and have now grown to LOVE chasing bull elk, I love watching my daughter play soccer that much more! I got to watch her score her first goal in competitive play last night and she was so glad I skipped hunting to be there. My buddy and I were talking to another group of hunters last weekend and I mentioned not hunting this coming weekend due to my daughter's soccer tournament. One of the guys quipped "You need to get your priorities straight." and before I could answer, my buddy jumped right in with "He does. Trust me, he does." and the guy got quiet. I think showing my kids that, as much as I love hunting (and they know how much I love it), they are my first and foremost priority will benefit all of us in the long run and keep my relationship with my kids strong for eternity. Filling a bull tag right now would be AWESOME, but establishing a future hunting trip with my kids because I'm willing to sacrifice my personal hunts would be THAT MUCH MORE AWESOME! :way:

Top Bottom