Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Do respect TV shows that accept "Snake Oil" as a

Hardcorehunter

UL Shelter/Stove Geek
Sponsor?

I watched American %^^*# with Tom $$&&^ several weeks ago and it was nothing but an infomercial for carbon clothing. The entire episode was this carbon clothing sponsor basically telling me as a viewer that if I didn't use the product I wasn't a great hunter. There was no hunting on the show, just a commercial for this carbon clothing. Another carbon clothing manufacturer tells me to "Forget the wind, just hunt". There are other snake oils out there, but with all of the scientific information about carbon clothing and how it can't be reactivated in a home dryer, this is the biggest one that I can think of. I have read and researched this product and have seen nothing provided from the manufacturer to PROVE that it works. Believe me, I just placed a $500 order for camo clothing through Gray Wolf Woolens for myself and own two $1000 bow setups, two $400 Double Bull blinds, and hunt with Lone Wolf Treestands and climbing sticks. I buy the most expensive and BEST equipment that is on the market. I am simply showing that I will spend the money for a product if I can be shown that it is proven to work. Carbon clothing has to be shown through science and science proves it can't work. Treestands, camo, safety harnasses, bows, and broadheads are all proven products that we KNOW work. It is up to us to choose which one we like. Does it make you not to want a show when you see ridiculous products for sale on a hunting show that are designed to take advantage of a new or young bowhunter or do you just accept it as a way for the show to pay its' bills? I won't watch this show I speak of any more because of their "sellout" in my eyes. Let me know your thoughts.

There are so many TV hunting shows now days, that they have had to become more like infomercials to get the advertising dollars. It has become so competitive that the advertising dollars are going to the shows that are willing to spend the most time hocking products rather than telling a hunting story. These hunting shows are becoming more advertiser-driven and less viewer-driven all the time and do not see that changing.

I wear scent shield suit, does it work? I think so, does it 100% eleminate oder? Nope, I don't think so, but I believe it helps. Personall opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
I wear scent shield suit, does it work? I think so, does it 100% eleminate oder? Nope, I don't think so, but I believe it helps. Personall opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, I wear a scent lok suit I got for xmas a few years back and I think it has helped in some situations. Still you should always play the wind. If you think carbon suits help, then wear one. If you don't, don't wear one.

All I know is that Tiffany Lakowsky is sponsored by one of these manufacturers and I am not about to stop watching her hunt
grin.gif

I can guarantee one thing...those scent lok suits have to work better than that cover spray. Those sprays (that claim scent elimination) are the biggest bag of crud IMO.

Your not going to escape a deer's nose. They smell on a microparticle level most hunters can't begin to understand. The idea behind scent (so called elimination) is actually minimizing your scent so it fits between that deer's tolerance threshold. Outside the lines you're listening to snorting and watching the "white-flag" run away.

Can you smell any smell from a cover spray bottle? I haven't found one that I haven't been able to smell. If I can smell it I'm willing to bet a deer can smell it. The idea behind these sprays is that they are smells a deer doesn't associate with DANGER, so the deer are not suppose to flee. Every year around Thanksgiving I go to the local Wal-Mart or pro-shop to get my first shotgun tag and it has yet to fail for the past 12 years, there will be a number of people doing the same and also purchasing "natural earth scent"...or whatever the flavor. I can't help but laugh. Do those "urban-hunters" think that spray will help when they're caring a gun covered with WD-40? OK, so that's besides the point. The point is if they're in the checkout line and notice that umpteen-thousand other hunters are doing the same, how long does it take for a deer to smell an overly douched hunter in nattie earth (hear gun shots) and the deer realizes that smell means danger?

These sprays are like a woman's perfume. There's a limit where more DOESN"T equal better.

OK, so this is actually about Scentlok and if it works...well I'm sure it works to a degree, but I highly doubt it's as effective as it's made out to be on paper. I also realize the studies that prove it can't be reactivated...but does it really need to be?

From what I know it's made to keep your scent in and even my dirty furnace filter still filters air (if you're pickin up what I'm puttin down)

So to each their own I guess. I don't have any scentlok, but there's been times I wish I did. I have my own ritual for "de-scenting" and use tarsal glands quite a bit...but it's not fool proof...and neither are scentloks, or cover sprays.

I think I may of thrown this post off with my first post, but if you quit watching shows because of the promotions, you don't have many shows left to watch. Every different hunting show has something different to offer, and their going to push it hard, its how they get paid. Believe me, if I was in their position, I would push a manufactors product (as long as it is not a rip off or a P.O.S. product) as hard as they wanted me to.

Nanny, what if it was the Drury's making you push that "EGG" turkey call?

I agree, without product endorsement most wouldn't have a show AND I agree, I wish I had their problem, but there is a point where you can't push a bad product.

If they're not hunting and only pushing products, then flip the channel or pop in a DVD.

Re: Do respect TV shows that accept "Snake Oil" as

Some of the biggest bucks ever shot where by guys wearing Carharts or old red wool coats. I'm not saying that I don't have a closet full of Camo and scent control clothing, but I can tell you one thing.
Mother nature makes the rules, if you play the wind, you'll win everytime.
If someone tells you to forget the wind or that you can hunt a stand with the wrong wind because of carbon clothing, tell em to eat a gut pile. Unless someone comes out with a camo NASA suit, including helmet, I'm hunting the wind, and wearing camo because it looks cool.
My 2¢ worth.

LOVE, GRUNTS & Gut Piles
COACH

[ QUOTE ]
Nanny, what if it was the Drury's making you push that "EGG" turkey call?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, I wouldn't have a problem pushing the EGG, You can fill it with lead, and they make "GREAT" trout line weights.
grin.gif

I would have a problem trying to push any of Drurys products, no offense to anyone, I just don't like them. I like their hunting shows, and I do watch their hunting show, I don't like them on a personal level.

[ QUOTE ]
All I know is that Tiffany Lakowsky is sponsored by one of these manufacturers and I am not about to stop watching her hunt
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. Watched their bowfishing show the other day and all I can say is
bigshock.gif

i agree alot of the shows are over the top on pushing their sponsors, but the sponsors are the ones putting their asses on tv. if i had a show, and the dude footing the bills wanted to hear his name every ten minutes, then i would be shouting his name every ten minutes. they just need to realize that too much pimpin will turn the consumer off pretty quick

[ QUOTE ]
too much pimpin will turn the consumer off pretty quick

[/ QUOTE ]

I got sick of it a long time ago.

And the stupid "finding the animal" scene.

And the stupid whispering after the shot.

And the stupid "poking the animal with the gun" scene after he's been dead for 2 hours.

And the stupid........

Oh never mind

Top Bottom