Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Do respect TV shows that accept "Snake Oil" as a

Re: Do respect TV shows that accept "Snake Oil" as

[ QUOTE ]
And the stupid "poking the animal with the gun" scene after he's been dead for 2 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rest assured Perry, IF I ever make a video the only thing you'll see is me hooting and hollaring when I find the buck!

You guys dont poke your dead deer? I ALWYS POKE MY buck in the eye while standing in front of the. Then I blow in their ear just to make sure.

[ QUOTE ]
Mother nature makes the rules, if you play the wind, you'll win everytime.
If someone tells you to forget the wind or that you can hunt a stand with the wrong wind because of carbon clothing, tell em to eat a gut pile. Unless someone comes out with a camo NASA suit, including helmet, I'm hunting the wind, and wearing camo because it looks cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more!
waytogo.gif

Why pay 3-4x more for the same camo just because it's carbon lined. You have to hunt the wind with or without the carbon.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mother nature makes the rules, if you play the wind, you'll win everytime.
If someone tells you to forget the wind or that you can hunt a stand with the wrong wind because of carbon clothing, tell em to eat a gut pile. Unless someone comes out with a camo NASA suit, including helmet, I'm hunting the wind, and wearing camo because it looks cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more!
waytogo.gif

Why pay 3-4x more for the same camo just because it's carbon lined. You have to hunt the wind with or without the carbon.

[/ QUOTE ]EXACTLY!!! Or give me SCIENTIFIC PROOF to show me that this isn't snake oil.
I am just so passionate about hunting that I have a problem with manufacturers ripping off fellow hunters. Provide me SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE of any product and I will be glad to buy it if it is going to help me gain an edge with a whitetail. It does not seem to be too much to ask for PROOF that carbon clothing can SCIENTIFICALLY work as manufacturers claim. I do not want testimonials, I want SCIENTIFIC PROOF. Carbon is a science so PROVE it to me through science. I feel that young and novice hunters feel that just because these "hunting stars" are promoting these carbon products or other snake oils on TV that they are taking advantage of the inexperienced and novice hunter. The carbon experts tell me that a household dryer can not possibly reach the needed temperature to reactivate the clothing or the clothing would burn or melt. Why can't the carbon clothing manufacturers come out and provide proof that the namesayers are wrong? Hunting boots even have this carbon inside of them; tell me how to get a boot liner reactivated in a dryer? Why should I pay extra money for a carbon lining in a boot that can't be removed?

[ QUOTE ]
I keep looking for a hunting show hawking stuff by Victoria's Secret.

[/ QUOTE ] If Tiffany was trying to push Victoria Secret during her show (and wearing it) I suppose that would be OK.

Here is my PROOF did it kill this deer NO but I like to think it helped. Im sure there are plenty of other hunters beleive the same.

35722006_buck_3_-med.jpg

And here is proof that hunting the wind is the ONLY way to hunt a whitetail.
sbuck5fd6.jpg

only a piece to the puzzle
not the end-all-be-all, but it surely cant hurt

and dont call me shirley
evil.gif

Have any of you "I hunt the wind" guys ever watched a good wind indicator while on stand?

there's no such thing as a wind that only blows one direction.

I don't use carbon clothing but I sure as heck use the no scent soaps and sprays and have managed to end up upwind of all sorts of critters that didn't spook.

I'm a trapper too and any trapper worth his salt knows you can't make your scent disappear totally it IS about staying below the animals threshold and a couple bucks worth of insurance is totally worth it. IMO carbon clothing is just another layer of insurance.

Now the deer view mirror..............
grin.gif

kinda turned into a p1ssing contest. I don't know how a subject can get people so fired up. I just bought a scent-blocker jacket for bow hunting this fall. Will it help me kill a deer? who knows, but if it helps me the one time a deer gets down wind of me then it was worth it. But I'm not about to get hot and bothered just b/c of a TV show selling the product. It's really not worth getting worked up, no one is going to change their mind. Let it go fellas.
I do have one questions though.... If anyone of these "carbon companies" offered you sponsorship for your tv program, would you turn it down? simply because there wasn't scientific proof behind it?

http://www.usfilter.com/en/Product+Lines/Westates_Carbon/Westates_Carbon_Services/westates_reactivation_service.htm
1600 degrees to reactivate carbon. I believe our clothes would melt.
grin.gif
A person can google reactivation of carbon and read a plenty of information on the subject. As far as letting someone advertise their name on a show,IMO that is one thing, but to do a half an hour infomercial or try to own the show for an agenda is another. Like I said,"snake oil" and a consumer rippoff. If this carbon clothing was proven to work I would have gladly dished out the extra $ to have it put in my Gray Wolf Woolens order. All I ever see is testimonials that carbon works. For every guy that swears it helped him get a deer there is another guy that hunts in carharts or bluejeans and smokes on stand. I will just keep using the wind to hunt and thanks for your replies everybody. Somebody please pm me when the carbon clothing manufacturers have a clothing that can handle 1600 degrees and post the price of a dryer capable of producing this heat. Thank you.
grin.gif

Everything has to be scientifically proven? You don't accept anything on faith??? I’ve seen dinosaur bones but I’ve never seen the face of God. You could say his face is in every flower that blooms, every rainbow in the sky or even every hurricane or tsunami. But can you scientifically prove he exists?

There is such a thing as empirical knowledge. “I saw more game after I started wearing scent blocker clothes and using scent elimination spray than I did before.” This is a very common thread among hunters. Empirical testimony or faith based? Sure there are tons of variables, but if a hunter believes something works, why try to shake their faith?

As with everything else there are adjuncts to our hunting skills that make us better hunters, snake oil or not. It is up to the individual to believe what they want to believe and hopefully they can make decisions based on their belief structure, not what somebody in a pulpit, in this case a hunting show, is trying to sell them. Often times younger folks can be swayed by a personality selling the latest and greatest gizzy gahoochit to kill game. I can only hope that they have an individual in their life to help guide them through the thought process before spending money on the latest and greatest.

As a general rule I don’t buy hunting or fishing DVDs/videos and I’m too cheap to buy a dish so I really don’t have a dog in that part of the discussion. I think I’da changed the channel if I didn’t like what I was seeing.

One more testimonial, I was working on my old tractor that had been sitting in the barn for about three years with the same gas in the tank. You know how bad old gas can smell and how hard it is to wash the stink off of your hands. I tried dish soap and water without much success and then Goop but my hands still reeked. I found my bottle of scent eliminator spray, sprayed it on, rubbed my hands together for a few seconds, rinsed them off and had my wife take a whiff. She couldn’t smell the old varnishy gas anymore. I could barely get a hint of the odor. Empirically speaking, if it does this for old gas what can it do for natural human odor?

I guess this is way off the original topic of hunting shows, but to me, it follows the way the thread has developed.

The ‘Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
I see her PROOF were is yours

[/ QUOTE ]I didn't own a digital camera until this last year. Here is a kill with no snake oil. Just hunting and using the wind for proper stand placement.
buck1gk4.jpg

It is fact that carbon suits cannot be reactivated by conventional means. How long they last is the million dollar question though. I can guarantee that they help reduce body odor, but are they worth the expense? I personally don't think so.

I'd rather take extra caution playing the wind and doing whatever I can to reduce odor, using scent reduction soaps, detergents and spray. Ghost spray - among others - does help, believe me. Bonk's experience is quite accurate. The spray chemically neutralizes scent particles it comes in contact with; of course your body is constantly emanating new ones...which is why I also carry a small bottle with me in the field, and refreshen every hour or so on stand.

If you have money to burn, you might as well add a carbon suit to your scent control arsenal, IMO. Only trouble is, I've never felt that I had enough to burn
grin.gif

Ghost spray is awesome. I sprayed it in a trash can to see what it did to the odor and I was amazed at how it eliminates odor, yet has no odor when applied. I use Ghost; great product.
Stand for something or you will fall for anything. We don't need money bad enough to sell out my hunting friends or the hunting community. My wife and I are both leaning more towards the DVD business as we don't have to pimp products we don't believe in. We are finishing up our 1st DVD and hope to have two more completed from our planned hunts this upcoming year. Trade shows the upcoming year and if sponsors want a husband/wife Iowa couple that have integrity and want to be part of fairchase real life hunting hunting Video Production, they will jump in and sponsor us. This is a sideline business and we see no need or do we have the desire to do a show promoting something we do not believe in. Our #1 priority is to promote couples and women into the world of bowhunting. I am convinced that when people see our hunts, they will be impressed. The sponsors will follow if it is meant to be. We spend so much money a year on hunting; bows, gear, license fees, fuel, lodging, taxidermy etc..that we decided in October of this last year to turn hunting into a business. I am lucky in the fact that I have a wife that is beautiful and passionate about bowhunting. Many women will shoot a bow, but very few have the ability to kill with one. In a year and a half since Sarah was introduced into archery, she has taken two nice whitetail bucks, one doe, a big Canadian bear, and a coyote. This upcoming year we will be elk hunting, turkey, whitetail, hogs, and bowfishing carp. I am lucky and thank God everyday for all that we have.

I think what hardcore is saying is that science has proven beyond any reasonable doubt that it is physically impossibe to reactivate the carbon in a dryer. Therefore after a couple of those mile long walks to the stand your carbon suit is no different than anyone elses regular camo. I use and believe in scent eliminating sprays/soaps. I think they should be called scent reducing spray/soap because it can't eliminate all human odors. I have faith in many hunting products that don't have a scientific study backing them up. That being said I believe that the science is undesputable when it comes to reactivating carbon suits. I personally will not throw down an extra 2-3 hundred for a product that after the first couple uses it no better than what is hanging right beside it on the shelf. But if you think wearing a scent blocker suit makes you look cool when you go to the woods and your willing to pay the extra money then have at it. Tred Barta said it best on one of his shows on OLN. It was something like - (Where does some company get off telling me to forget the wind just hunt.) Then he basically went on to say that he will alway keep the wind in his face when hunting. When he said that my dad and I about fell off the layzboys laughing. I have tremendous respect for people that don't sell out their beliefs for the almighty dollar. These hunting shows just keep getting worse and worse when it comes to pushing products. What started out as listing sponsors at the end of the show has turned into non-stop product pushing throughout the show. BLAH-BLAH-BLAH

[ QUOTE ]

Everything has to be scientifically proven? You don't accept anything on faith??? I’ve seen dinosaur bones but I’ve never seen the face of God. You could say his face is in every flower that blooms, every rainbow in the sky or even every hurricane or tsunami. But can you scientifically prove he exists?

There is such a thing as empirical knowledge. “I saw more game after I started wearing scent blocker clothes and using scent elimination spray than I did before.” This is a very common thread among hunters. Empirical testimony or faith based? Sure there are tons of variables, but if a hunter believes something works, why try to shake their faith?

As with everything else there are adjuncts to our hunting skills that make us better hunters, snake oil or not. It is up to the individual to believe what they want to believe and hopefully they can make decisions based on their belief structure, not what somebody in a pulpit, in this case a hunting show, is trying to sell them. Often times younger folks can be swayed by a personality selling the latest and greatest gizzy gahoochit to kill game. I can only hope that they have an individual in their life to help guide them through the thought process before spending money on the latest and greatest.

As a general rule I don’t buy hunting or fishing DVDs/videos and I’m too cheap to buy a dish so I really don’t have a dog in that part of the discussion. I think I’da changed the channel if I didn’t like what I was seeing.

One more testimonial, I was working on my old tractor that had been sitting in the barn for about three years with the same gas in the tank. You know how bad old gas can smell and how hard it is to wash the stink off of your hands. I tried dish soap and water without much success and then Goop but my hands still reeked. I found my bottle of scent eliminator spray, sprayed it on, rubbed my hands together for a few seconds, rinsed them off and had my wife take a whiff. She couldn’t smell the old varnishy gas anymore. I could barely get a hint of the odor. Empirically speaking, if it does this for old gas what can it do for natural human odor?

I guess this is way off the original topic of hunting shows, but to me, it follows the way the thread has developed.

The ‘Bonker

[/ QUOTE ]
applause.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I see her PROOF were is yours

[/ QUOTE ]I didn't own a digital camera until this last year. Here is a kill with no snake oil. Just hunting and using the wind for proper stand placement.
buck1gk4.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe I have just seen the face of god. Just Kidding. Great deer.

Top Bottom