Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Field report

Cool pics Shoot to kill! Minds me of that little ditty... "every picture tells a story
dont it"
smile.gif

I got up this morning, checked the weather, NW winds 7-9...perfect!
smile.gif

Walked into my stand, chilly breeze in my face..perfect still!

Little after daylight I noticed it got real still
crazy.gif
Got my handy dandy "wind checker powder" out...dang the luck! What little air movement there was, was now out of the SW!
confused.gif

A snort off to the north didn't make me feel any better
crazy.gif

Then I got to thinking...I could be at w....(I won't say any bad words on here
angel.gif
)

So I just commenced to smiling and watching...dreaming of a rockin chair rack ghosting down thru the timber in a few weeks
peace.gif

Waitininthetimber.jpg

FYI...morning movment has been very limited and ALL between 7:45 and 8:15
confused.gif

If your hunting evenings...the corn stubble fields are drawing deer like ants to sugar!

By 3:30 in the afternoon the fields are full of them, but buck movement has been limited to the last few moments of shooting light.

Cornstubble.jpg

BTW if your need to get to your spot via the backroads....be prepared

To get a little mud on the tires!
smirk.gif

Getalilmudonthetires.jpg

But hey...playing in the mud is still more fun then w.... (almost slipped up there
evil.gif
)

Iowagumbo.jpg

Headed out last night before 3:00 and I still wasn't early enough!
confused.gif

Field was full of deer already!
afternoondeer.jpg

Come a little closer baby...

Closer.jpg

I feel like laying you...

in my freezer
evil.gif

closeryet.jpg

Cleared the field out but they soon returned after I got settled in my stand
smirk.gif

Chomping on corn...

Eatincorn.jpg

Sometimes I think I'm a magnet for little bucks
confused.gif

Sure beats being stuck in traffic though!
waytogo.gif

LilRunts.jpg

Beautiful sunrise this morning, crisp and chilly...mmmmm, smell that fall air. No phones, no sirens, no traffic, no...

hey...is that blood on that arrow??
smile.gif

Bloodyarrow.jpg

and another one down and another one down
another one bites the dust!
icon_ban2.gif
icon_ban2.gif
icon_ban2.gif

Notherdoe.jpg

Let me tell ya...these sleds make for some easy draggin!
peace.gif

Sledding.jpg

Especially if my son is doing the draggin!
evil.gif

Dragging.jpg

Made a little slide so when I'm alone...just slide the whole thing right in the truck!
waytogo.gif

Slide.jpg

TGIF! Everbody can hit the woods and not have to put up with my teasing...
bummer about the forecast though

[ QUOTE ]
Saturday: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 50. South wind 8 to 14 mph becoming northwest. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Goodluck! Hope to see the Harvest Section full of big ones Monday morning!
waytogo.gif

Great pics Paul, I'm jealous! That is a sow of a doe, congrats. I may get to hunt by mid November!
crazy.gif
Keep those pics coming!

Always enjoy reading and seeing your posts D-tree, send some of that rain down here would ya?

Thanks Dbltree, Ihavent been out all week and am kind of having a chitty day, Your pics and story have improved my attitude ten fold!! Can't wait for morning. Great story and pic's.
smile.gif

Those are all awesome pics. Makes me treestrand sick! I won't be able to sleep tonight now just be thinking about the view in the morning. Thanks alot guys!

They have been working this scrape since late Sept. and it's getting larger almost daily!
smile.gif

Scrapegettingbigger.jpg

and new ones are appearing as well!
cool.gif

newscrape.jpg

Won't be long though and they won't be wasting much time scraping......
smirk.gif

This thread always gives me a smile at work. Vacation time is coming.....

By the way, you got any cameras on those scrapes?

[ QUOTE ]
This thread always gives me a smile at work. Vacation time is coming.....

By the way, you got any cameras on those scrapes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing like the anticipation of waiting for that first morning in the woods...work, troubles and all...left behind.
waytogo.gif

It's possible there may be a cam near that scrape...somethings I'll leave to your imagination
wink.gif

Nothing like being in a stand as daybreak arrives, frost coating the fields, eyes straining to see movement...

Sunriseinthestand.jpg

With the rain we've had and the forecast calling for more...I suspect a lot of leaves will be falling thru this coming week.

Notice anything??

findit.jpg

A friend once told me... man...you gotta shoot some deer...how true, can't sit there sometimes for years, waiting for the buck of a lifetime...without taking any deer.

Each doe I take presents a different challenge...perhaps stopping inches from a clear shot, while I wait at full draw, silently wishing her a step farther.

After enough kills, my pin falls where it should...and the Muzzy flys...exactly where I aim. It becomes natural and easy...so if that Big Boy ever appears...I'll be ready
waytogo.gif

Just a few notes from the field...

Wet weather has slowed harvest and fall tillage as well, standing corn will hide many a deer this next week.

Stubble fields will keep deer dispersed as they have feed everywhere.

We have some wet weather on the way...but looks like an awesome weekend coming up!! Yeah baby!!
peace.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Wednesday Night: Rain likely. Increasing clouds, with a low around 42. East wind between 11 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Thursday: Occasional rain. High near 44. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Thursday Night: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 40. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Friday: A 30 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 49. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35.

Saturday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 50.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 33.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 55.

Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 37.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the combines were rolling again but with the rain settling in it looks like field work will come to a halt again.

Depending on how much we get, I don't see any fall tillage being done until early next week. Around here those things can make a big difference...
smirk.gif

A friend has been hauling grain out of the field and has been seeing small bucks daily, even one with a doe cornered...but nothing of any size.

Mature bucks are still pretty much nocturnal (based on my wifes darkothirty drive home in the evening) but I think we are only days away from day and even mid-day movement.

Rainy weather might make being stuck at the office more tolerable...unless you realize you could be setting in a nice cozy blind...
waytogo.gif

Insidelookingout.jpg

Everything warm and dry
smile.gif

InsideBlind.jpg

Did I mention comfy?
grin.gif

Comfyseat.jpg

Ok...right now Limb and Ghost are saying...

NOOOOOoooooo! Not propane!!
nono.gif
nono.gif

But hey...some guys know how to cook...some know how to hunt......
(and if I hang around those two I might learn how to do at least one of those
smirk.gif
)

Even if you can't make it out to the woods today...you can still go home and throw some tasty loins on the barby!
beerchug.gif

(you do have some loins in the freezer...right????)

Loins.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Looks like your living right Paul!
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I almost feel guilty...almost
evil.gif

What can I say...it's time...time to hit the brush and start staying longer. The weather is going to be near perfect...little warm this weekend but then cooling off.

Frosty mornings and clear nites...whooowhee...don't get no better then that.
smile.gif

Time to leave the rat race behind:
Traffic.jpg
I235_edited.jpg
IowaCity.jpg

Don't forget the supplies:
Redneckpalmpilot.jpg

Remember to ring the doorbell and ask permission
grin.gif
Doorbell.jpg

Most of all...remember to wear your safety harness and linemens belt!

Treehopper.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Saturday: Partly cloudy and breezy, with a high near 56.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 35.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 63.

Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 44.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 68.

Monday Night: A chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 44.

Tuesday: A chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a high near 55.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.

Wednesday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 51.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.

Thursday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 51

[/ QUOTE ]

Best time to hunt...NOW!!
smile.gif

Hunting Times

Have a great weekend, goodluck...and be safe!!
waytogo.gif

Great post dbltree. I look forward everyday to checking out your latest installments. I really like the way you tell the story with the camera, it’s more than just the hunt, you tell the whole story.
waytogo.gif

I noticed your blind has plastic wrap on the windows. How does that work with the broadheads? It looks like you're shooting a feathermax as well. I shoot the same and have toyed with the plastic idea, but have been afraid of the effect on my arrow flight.

You can't beat the blind for staying warm and dry and taking the kids out for a relaxing afternoon in the deer woods.

mole

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed your blind has plastic wrap on the windows. How does that work with the broadheads? It looks like you're shooting a feathermax as well. I shoot the same and have toyed with the plastic idea, but have been afraid of the effect on my arrow flight.

You can't beat the blind for staying warm and dry and taking the kids out for a relaxing afternoon in the deer woods.

mole

[/ QUOTE ]

The blinds are octagon shaped with hinged windows that I swing open. I tried the shoot thru cloth but it's to difficult to see thru in low light, plus I stand to shoot and my arrow is actually out the window.

Most of my blinds have tinted windows so game cannot see in, and the octagon shape creates "blind spots" so as a deer goes into that spot, I can swing open the window and draw with out being seen.

That can be a problem with fast moving bucks simply because unlike a tree stand, one cannot see "everywhere". That's why I use the swivel boat seat and keep a constant check up and down the runway. (if only they would all come from the same direction all the time
smirk.gif
)

I've had the blinds for nearly 10 years and because of recent posts about decoys...the thought occured to me "dah" what a great place to stow and use a decoy!
waytogo.gif

The biggest plus is that I can make myself stay all day, something that's hard to do in a tree stand. Somedays I'll sit in a tree stand until I get tired or froze out and then climb into a ground blind. At least if I doze off...I'm not gonna end up hanging from my TreeHopper
smirk.gif

I'll have to give that a try on my blind. Funny you should mention the decoy in the blind. My decoy is lying in the blind right now. I use to haul it out every time until one day I had the "DUH, just leave it in the blind" experience. It sure makes the walk out a lot easier.

I have had many an afternoon nap in the blind and it sure is nice knowing the fall is a short one
grin.gif

mole

Yesterday my brain said "too windy and too warm"...but my heart said "hit the brush boy"
smirk.gif

Kinda dozed off a little...opened my eyes and danged if there wasn't a deer movin!
smile.gif

AfternoonMovement.jpg

Few minutes later I had a whole "flock" of so close I could count their eyelashes...
wink.gif

Watched em head on over to some oats...trying to get a pic, basically goofin off when I herd a BUUURRRPP!!
bigshock.gif
A big dude came charging out of no where scattering those does like quail! No chance for a shot...but what a rush! Man that's what huntin's all about for me!
cool.gif

Here's the "babes"...the bigun is "captured in my mind"...

Babes.jpg

This morning is was so cold I wished I would have been at work...

NOTTTT
busted.gif

Sunrise was awesome coming up over the prarie grass
cool.gif

Sunrise-1.jpg

Barely daylight and the "foodplot raiders came by enmasse
smirk.gif

First thing they do when they hit the woods is feed on browse...they might be full of grain, rye and turnips...but they still need that browse in their gut.

7a.jpg

95% of movement was over by 7:00 a.m...

650a.jpg

Watched a hawk pick a squirrel right out the pines
cool.gif

Pines.jpg

I sure hope you not stuck at the ofice today...poor suc....I mean unfortunate hard working folks...but if you are, you can have fun with some "non-hunter" and let em find the deer in this pic
evil.gif

Findit.jpg

Cant beat the forecast!!
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 23. Northwest wind around 7 mph.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 51. West wind between 6 and 9 mph.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 22.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 46.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 23.

Friday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 48.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 31.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hunting times were right on this morning...course if you wern't in the office...you'd know that already
grin.gif

Hunting times

Call in sick tomorrow!!!
evil.gif

I was ready to post asking for a fix, then here it was. Somedays,the only reason to stay at work is to save $$$ so I can buy some land. I work extra hard when I see your posts. How many acres you got?

Nice pics and I will definitely be stoppin to get my fix as well.Once a gain nice pix
grin.gif

Top Bottom