Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Field report

Doubletree - I hear ya about the sick day. I got a stand I haven't sat in all year and tomorrow morning looks like a morning a guy can't resist. November is upon us
peace.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Doubletree - I hear ya about the sick day. I got a stand I haven't sat in all year and tomorrow morning looks like a morning a guy can't resist. November is upon us
peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

25 degrees right now...feels like 19!!

Saaawwwweeeeeettt!!!
waytogo.gif
not_ripe.gif

Last night movement was mostly 1/2 hr before dark.

Saw a couple bucks skulking across the field right at dusk. Lots of scraping going on!
smile.gif

Eveningfield.jpg

This morning was clear and cold...perfect!!!
cool.gif

Frosty1st.jpg

Another beautiful sunrise!

Suncominup.jpg

Deer movement was all between the moment I could barely make out their shapes until about 7:15 then all was quiet again.

I guess the little bucks just like me...this one fooled around under my stand for 10 minutes!
grin.gif

Closer-1.jpg

Closeryet.jpg

underfoot.jpg

Did I mention it was cold??
smirk.gif

Cold.jpg

Hard to believe anybody is still at the "office" cause the road was full of "huntin" trucks this morning!

I guess somebody has to work though
grin.gif

Still not seeing major buck movement yet, mostly nocturnal ...but if your not in the woods...you won't be there when it breaks loose
wink.gif

The sights and sounds of November alone...is worth the price of admission
cool.gif

Sure has been some awesome weather!
cool.gif
But I'm still not seeing a lot of bucks on an all day prowl. Mostly just before dark when the sun is setting low in the sky and the days winds grow quiet...

Sunset.jpg

The humidity is low and the stiff cold winds have made it almost impossible for deer to smell me (which is no mean feat for me!
grin.gif
)

The leaves are so dry you can hear em coming a mile away...

Eveningwoods.jpg

The earliest deer movement was 4:30 and pretty heavy until dark. Wish my camera would take better pics in low light
crazy.gif

Eveningdeer.jpg

The full moon isn't that far off now...sorry it's a little blurry...fingers froze
blush.gif

Moon.jpg

20 degrees is chilly in the morning...but man is it beautiful!
smile.gif

Chillmorn.jpg

First deer at 6:37 then off and on until 10:00

LittleBuck.jpg

Still mostly little bucks walking around dazed and confused
smirk.gif

LittleOnes.jpg

But this time of year, you just know...the next one may be MR. Big!
cool.gif

It looks like our cold nights and NW winds are going to give way to warmer weather and South, SW and even SE winds...starting tomorrow
crazy.gif

10 day forecast

The full moon next week I think will bring less deer movement, but hopefully more mid-day buck movement as they start "searching"

Right now as I travel between hunting areas in the dark...not seeing a darn deer. On the way home...nada...when they get cranking I'm forever slamming on the brakes
grin.gif

Hope they get cranked up soon!
waytogo.gif

Hunting Times

There are some awesome bucks in this state...but a lot of us aren't going to put one on the wall. If I had a crystal ball and could see that it wasn't my turn...I still wouldn't miss being out there for the world.

The anticipation...the way my heart jumps when I hear steps in the leaves, when brown legs appear in the dappled sunlight...

and then...horns...big enough to make your jaw drop....

Just seeing them every so often makes it worth the ride!
smile.gif

Thanks for being my eyes outside Dbl!! Its always fun to read and see your posts. Keep up the good posts and pics for us poor office rats!!

Great Post Paul!!!
waytogo.gif

Leaving the office now, not to return until the 13th...all is good!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Leaving the office now, not to return until the 13th...all is good!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

cool.gif
cool.gif

Thursday night the bucks came out of the wood work and had me "dancin in my stand"

Friday morning it got down to 17 here and again deer and bucks were running every where.
bigshock.gif

Frostymorning.jpg

Bucksonthemove.jpg

Friday night things were pretty quiet again...but the moon is geting big and bright
crazy.gif

Fullmoon-1.jpg

Hope you all have a great weekend! South winds for the immediate future...

[ QUOTE ]
Today: A chance of sprinkles. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly sunny, with a high near 53. South wind between 10 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 36. South wind between 6 and 9 mph.

Sunday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 59. South wind between 6 and 8 mph.

Sunday Night: A 30 percent chance of rain after midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 43. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Monday: A 30 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 59.

Monday Night: A 20 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44.

Tuesday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 63.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 47.

Wednesday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 66.

Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46.

Thursday: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 62.

Thursday Night: A chance of rain. Partly cloudy, with a low around 44.

Friday: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58

[/ QUOTE ]

Overnight it seems like the hot action has cooled off considerably
smirk.gif

At least I had the chance to pass up some nice bucks...it's always kinda cool to put the pin on em and whisper... your dead!
cool.gif

Sat. morning I pulled in the field and it was covered with bedded deer...not a good sign
crazy.gif

Saw a couple small bucks after daylight and one doe that was hoping to get somewhere...anywhere...that didn't have a buck waiting to harass her
grin.gif

At least the turkeys provided some entertainment...that first one sure looked like a bearded hen?

Turkeys.jpg

Most of the time I stared at an empty and quiet woods...but I can think of a lot worse things to do
smile.gif

Emptywoods.jpg

Warmer weather and a full moon are going to make for tough sledding this next week IMO...but some nice bucks will be taken no doubt
smile.gif

Fullmoon-2.jpg

The whole coming week is SOUTH winds...maybe SSE or SSW but otherwise just plain South!
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

Some places I can't hunt with a south wind...period
confused.gif

By rights movement should become middle of the day and middle of the night...but 70 degree weather in our neck of the woods may slow up mid day movement.

Big mature animals with a heavy winter coat already are likely to rest thier heels until it cools off at night...guess time will tell.

I've found that the week before Thanksgiving is when I see the most mature bucks and 3 days either side of the 15th...the least.

Bucks lock down with does during peak breeding and then they run out...and more cross country searching begins.

Most people don't traditionally take that time off...but if you can squeeze in a few days before TG, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

10 Day Forecast

Hunting Times

Some days are diamond...

Some days are stone....

That seems to be par for the course this fall
smirk.gif

A friend sat nearly all day Sunday from early morning until late afternoon in a fantastic funnel full of rubs...and saw not a deer
confused.gif

Monday things picked up a little though and we both saw deer in the morning from daylight until about 8:30.

EarlyMorning.jpg

Does and bucks foraged along side each other like nothing was going on
smirk.gif

Doemovement.jpg

Last night I finally saw the frantic, loping "on a mission" searching of bucks
smile.gif

They started about 3:30 up until dark...not likely to get any pics of those, when I see horns....the last thing I grab for is my camera
grin.gif

My friend is 70 years old and hunts from the ground only. He tucks a cheapo plastic lawn chair into some brush and has killed 3 deer this fall like that!

Last night he killed a buck that while it's not going to end up in any record books...it made a man fortunate to still be able to hunt...very happy
waytogo.gif

Novbuck.jpg

Sometimes we put to much pressure on ourselves to bring home a "book buck" and forget to just have fun...hopefully that's what it's really all about
smile.gif

It's pea soup fog out there this morning!

[ QUOTE ]
Today: Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 61. Calm wind becoming south between 5 and 8 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 46. South wind between 6 and 10 mph.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 73. South wind between 10 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 47.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 65.

Thursday Night: A 20 percent chance of rain after midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 46.

Friday: A 40 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 60.

Friday Night: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41.

Veteran's Day: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 50.

Saturday Night: A slight chance of snow or rain. Partly cloudy, with a low around 33.

Sunday: Partly cloudy, with a high near

[/ QUOTE ]

Hunting times

This morning surprised me with amazing action!
smile.gif

So foggy I couldn't see a darn thing for a while!
crazy.gif

Bucks started moving early and kept me from getting bored
smile.gif

Foggymorningbuck.jpg

No chance of seeing to far for a while after daylight...

Fog.jpg

But out of that fog came a brute that got my attention!
bigshock.gif

I grunted and gave him my best "sexy" come n get me doe bleat
grin.gif

and doggone if he didn't head my way!

Kinda like a flight controller..."Monster buck...cleared for takeoff on runway A"

HELLOOO...I said runway A!!!
wall.gif

Dadblamed things...why can't they folow directions!!
icon_sumo.gif

He came in here only yards from my stand, downwind, behind me where no deer in his right mind should go...and prceeded to thrash the livin daylights out of several hapless saplings
smirk.gif

Here.jpg

Then he walked even closer within feet of my stand but no where near the runway or any semblance of an opening
crazy.gif

andhere.jpg

The whole time a smaller buck is standing in the runway 10 yards away...and we both watched as the big boy finally bored of the whole thing and turned and walked away
confused.gif

One of those times that is both frustrating but satisfying at the same time.
smirk.gif
I had my stand in a great area, I called him in...but in the end, he won our little game of life and...
death.

Man I love November!
cool.gif

Finally a doe came by with a big sign that said...

Shoot ME!!
grin.gif

Arrow.jpg

At least I know i can hit em where it counts
not_ripe.gif

Nub3.jpg

All I can say is...they are moving, early morning and right at dark.

I haven't seen any fawns wandering alone..which usually means mama is out with the boys
grin.gif

From where I stand I'd say searching is just getting into gear big time but only an occasional doe being bred.

I exect the next few days will be tough with temps getting so warm but I'm hoping for the best!
smile.gif

Any standing corn? I have a lot of corn still up in my area and all the does and mature bucks are in there. Tons of small bucks wandering the woods and they pounce on every doe that comes out of corn to browse! Hope they can get some corn picked soon, vacation starts after Friday.
cool.gif

I have a ton of standing corn in my area.Hope they get in this week and start getting it out.

Great bunch of pics Paul. I didnt even bother trying to load this thread until I got to a 'puter with DSL!
Looks like your having a heck of a season so far. It also looks like your really making those slickies pay for the abuse they put on your plots.
cool.gif
How many have you hammered now?

[ QUOTE ]
I have a ton of standing corn in my area.Hope they get in this week and start getting it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here! Lots of standing corn and freshly combined stubble that's drawing them away!

Saw several bucks last night a little after 5:00...one of em isn't gonna breed any does this fall
evil.gif

Ck out the PMA Harvest section
smile.gif

We've killed 6 does so far TP!
cool.gif

Hey Paul, was that last doe quartering away? I hit one last night a little further back and she was broadside. She went about 30 yds and tipped over. I think I must have hit a main artery.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Paul, was that last doe quartering away? I hit one last night a little further back and she was broadside. She went about 30 yds and tipped over. I think I must have hit a main artery.

[/ QUOTE ]

No she was right broadside and the arrow went from top to bottom thru one lung. She made it about 80 yards
smirk.gif

Pretty quiet this morning but I did see a couple bucks moving and a bunch of does running and trying to hide in ditches, ravines etc...anywhere they thought a buck might not find them
grin.gif

By 8:30 it's pretty dead with this warm weather
smirk.gif

If you've only been hunting evenings...your missing some beautiful sunrises...and some hot early morning buck movement
cool.gif

Redsunrise.jpg

It's been so dry that the creek bottoms are pretty well dried up and it's a sure bet to catch em going to a pond to drink.
waytogo.gif

Every deer I see has thier mouth wide open from either chasing or being chased. In this weather they can't do that too long with out water...just food for thought
smirk.gif

Part of the challenge of bowhunting is to get up close and personal and the dry air has let me get away with just about anything.

If you have all your "scent loc" stuff on...it ain't gonna prove nothing to me this week. Dang deer have been in circles around me with out so much as a clue that I'm there...including some mature bucks
cool.gif

Good thing this one is just a baby...
evil.gif

EasyPickins.jpg

I'm very blessed to have a couple small farms so because of landowner tags, I get to keep hunting. Now it's just even more fun (but I did have to go buy some more antlerless tags
grin.gif
)

So the "report" continues...such as it is, but if you want the real stories join the PMA and you can read something more interesting then my ramblings
grin.gif

Looks like the weather is going to change for the better! Most likely have to beat em off with a stick!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Thursday Night: A 30 percent chance of rain after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44.

Friday: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 52. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Friday Night: A chance of rain, mixing with snow after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 35. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Veteran's Day: Partly cloudy, with a high near 48.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 31.

Sunday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 49.

Sunday Night: A chance of snow or rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34.

Monday: A chance of snow or rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 47.

Monday Night: A slight chance of snow or rain. Partly cloudy, with a low around 37

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night they moved in the last 10 minutes before dark. Later on I had to go pick my son up at a meeting and it was all I could do to get down the road with out hitting one!

Bucks were running back and forth but I didn't notice any chasing or with does.

Sunset11-8.jpg

This morning the winds finally changed from south to NNW but it still was very warm.

It's amazing sometimes how deer seem to pay little attention in the dark. I walked in climbed my stand, fiddled around with all my "junk", tied myself in, etc. etc. and at the crack of daylight several deer less then 30 yards away, got up, stretched and fed their way out to a field! Sheesh!

Try that in the daylight
grin.gif

It was fairly slow this morning but they did move...enough to keep me from falling asleep
blush.gif

11-9doe.jpg

I dressed light but when that sun got crankin I started stripping down!

Didn't seem to bother the deer too much as they fed until about 8:30

Sunshinedeer.jpg

At 9:00 a good looking buck came marching across on a "mission"...he hesitated at my calling then "kept on truckin"
smirk.gif

About 11:00 I went to check on a stand that I haven't used yet because of south winds and a huge buck leaped to his feet and crashed thru the brush.
crazy.gif

He was by himself and bedded down for the heat of the day. I'm guessing the impending cold front will change things tomorrow and into next week!
cool.gif

This weekend should be hot with cooler weather and peak breeding just days away.
waytogo.gif

NE winds for now going to N Friday and NW Saturday...then back to South again
confused.gif

Better hit er' hard Saturday!
smile.gif

10 Day Forecast

Pay no attention to this...JUST GO HUNTIN!
peace.gif

Hunting Times

I only had time for a quick hunt this morning...it's blowin a gale, thundering and fixin to rain, but the bucks where running everywhere
not_ripe.gif
not_ripe.gif

Only does I saw were running for cover
grin.gif

Better pack a lunch tomorrow and stay all day...the bucks are a gettin it on!
cool.gif

Have a great weekend and goodluck everybody!
waytogo.gif

If your a PMA member you already saw the "Weekend Report" in the PMA Harvest section. If your not....bummer
smirk.gif

Whopper bucks, cools stories, some had snow...some white frost....awesome weekend!!
peace.gif

I haven't personally seen any bucks "locked down" with a doe yet but it seems I always notice those if I'm driving and they are standing out in a field...and still there the next day!
grin.gif

I think my wife is singlehandedly trying to keep General Motors afloat by wearing out her car as fast as possible
smirk.gif

If shes not at work...or shopping, she's enroute...
doah.gif

So from her I get the "Road Report" (if I want it or not
grin.gif
)

No pictures though...we'll leave that to JLC (nice pics Jack!)

Ditch Bucks

My wife calls me - Omigosh! A huge one just ran between two houses...right thru their yards!
bigshock.gif

Little while later - Another big one just ran across the road, never looked, stopped...just kept on going!!

After dark - "Oh Nooo" Someone just hit a big buck right in front of me!!
eek.gif

Then finally (apprantly running low on gas) she walks thru the door. and asks
"Do you just sleep while your out hunting...cause I just saw one walk across the driveway, that makes your puny little buck look like Bambi's little brother"

Dang she can be a little
evil.gif
sometimes...

I've been just having fun, calling in one every now and then and hopeing for at least a glimpse at a whopper!

This one was really bummed when he couldn't find the little doe that called ever so sweetly to him...
evil.gif

Cometocall.jpg

The pics don't turn out very good in low light so I decided to give the video option a try
cool.gif

Buck Video

Kinda fun...but I wish he was a Booner instead
smirk.gif

Looks like we have a little wet and cool weather in store this week...good time to have a doe drag a good one by!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Overnight: Periods of rain. Steady temperature around 40. Southwest wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Monday: Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 47. South wind 6 to 13 mph becoming north.

Monday Night: Patchy fog after 1am. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 36. North wind between 3 and 6 mph.

Tuesday: A 20 percent chance of rain after noon. Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a high near 50.

Tuesday Night: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 37. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Wednesday: Rain likely, mixing with snow after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 41. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Wednesday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30.

Thursday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 43.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 27.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 49.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 29.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 49.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 28.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 44.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hunting Times

Top Bottom