Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Free tags for NR landowners

Difference in all of this is the prospect of Big Land areas tied up, and Outfitting Business's. Iowa has a Big Buck reputation other states do not. In my birth state of MI. an out-a-stater can hunt,,,if he pays enough, but there is not a long line waiting to get in. Hunting in most of the state,,,is poor,,except for the southern counties. Iowa has more to lose, with the prospect of turning hunting into an even bigger $$$ Business.

Risto: Agree with your points. However, most NR landowners are not expecting all of the same benefits you describe. They're only looking to hunt their own land and I think most would be satisfied to be able to get (1) any-sex tag for their land. As residents, you can get multiple tags for your own land, as well as other properties. Right?

IBT: Actually, that is how it works in PA. No special consideration if you're a landowner, resident, nonresident, etc. (1) antlered deer per hunter, per year, regardless of season. Not saying that's right or wrong, but that's the way it is in PA. Residents and landowners do get some preference with antlerless tags, but nonresidents can get tags for multiple antlerless deer in most areas of the state, regardless.
Then hunt PA if it's regulations are so good! Do your NR any sex tags sell out every year? Why would you want to hunt Iowa with every thing PA has going for it?

Risto: Agree with your points. However, most NR landowners are not expecting all of the same benefits you describe. They're only looking to hunt their own land and I think most would be satisfied to be able to get (1) any-sex tag for their land. As residents, you can get multiple tags for your own land, as well as other properties. Right?

IBT: Actually, that is how it works in PA. No special consideration if you're a landowner, resident, nonresident, etc. (1) antlered deer per hunter, per year, regardless of season. Not saying that's right or wrong, but that's the way it is in PA. Residents and landowners do get some preference with antlerless tags, but nonresidents can get tags for multiple antlerless deer in most areas of the state, regardless.

I guess I am missing your point as far as benefits.

Education, fire protection and police protection to me would be a benefit from my tax dollars. As far as the food, gas and clothing I am giving to my area merchants whom I support year round. Almost all of my income goes to the state of Iowa.

I think that giving me preference over a NR is a small perk for myself helping our people of this state. Hopefully our constituents also think of this everytime they see this come up every year.

I have no problem with NR hunting here at all and actually have a few friends that have to wait every three years to come down and hunt.
They actually helped shoot a few does and just enjoyed their time here and will be back in three more years.

To answer your question I can get one any-sex bow and one any sex firearm. I can get I think 2 or 3 free antlerless.

I have two parcels and I can only get the ones I mentioned above total for them. If I buy more land in the future I still can only get the 2 free any-sex tags.

Thanks for your post.

We have been talking about landowners as their own group here in Iowa. The first half of your comment just says you can get an anysex tag no matter who you are right? If so, that has nothing to do with being a landowner. We are talking about special considerations here. And in order to get a NR landowner tag in PA, you must open your ground as public hunting for the entire hunting season. Is that correct?

First that is an over simplification. These NR aren't only looking to hunt their own land. They can already hunt their own land with the anter less tags. What they want is to TROPHY HUNT their own land every fall. That hunt their own land whine gets pretty old after several years.

I read at one time that in Pa in order to get a landowner license, yes they do have them, the land owner must allow public hunting on that land for a full year for any and all kinds of hunting. Is this not the case any longer.

c) Landowner antlerless deer license. - Eligible landowners who own 50 or more contiguous acres of land within any county where the landowners desire to hunt antlerless deer shall be entitled to obtain one antlerless deer license for that county, at the prescribed fee, issued to one and only one person whose name appears on the deed. These antlerless deer licenses shall be allocated in advance of their availability to the general public from the quota established by the commission for the county where the land is situated to landowners who meet all of the following requirements:

• (1) The 50 or more contiguous acres of land are owned by a natural person individually or as tenants by the entirety, or by a corporation of four or fewer shareholders, or by tenants in common of four or fewer natural persons.
    (2) The 50 or more contiguous acres of land are open to public hunting and trapping and shall remain open to hunting and trapping during the hunting license year for which the antlerless deer license is issued. (3) The applicant for an antlerless deer license shall furnish proof of ownership of 50 or more contiguous acres of land to the county treasurer within the county where the land is situated.
(d) Owners or possessors of land open to public hunting. - A resident owner or possessor of land, comprising greater than 80 contiguous acres farmed under a conservation plan which does not conflict with the act of June 22, 1937 (P.L. 1987, No. 394), known as The Clean Streams Law, and which meets the requirements of 25 Pa. Code Ch. 102 (relating to erosion control), shall, if he permits public hunting as evidenced by enrollment in a Cooperative Public Access Program, be entitled to purchase a Landowners Hunting License at the cost of $3 plus the current issuing fee. The 80-acre requirement shall be exclusive of safety zones in excess of 20% of the total acreage. The license shall be issued to the owner or possessor or an immediate family member of either the owner or possessor living in the same household so designated by the owner or possessor in the case of a single owner or possessor, and to the individual so designated in the case of more than one owner or possessor. No person shall be issued a hunting license under this subsection unless the person is 12 years of age or older, has met the requirements prescribed in section 2704 (relating to eligibility for license) and has not been denied the privilege to hunt. A person entitled to receive a hunting license under this subsection shall certify to the commission in the form and manner prescribed by the commission that the land tract he owns or possesses is presently in his ownership or possession.

This is copied from the current PA codes.:thrwrck:

This is what I used to draw my conclusions and it kinda contadicts what you said about getting multiple landonwer tags but I'm not saying it couldn't vary by county as I don't know the full skinny on how your state operates it's system. http://web2.ncentral.com/treasurer/hunt.htm :

The applicant must own (leased land does not qualify) fifty (50) or more contiguous (all adjoining) acres of land. One and only one, Landowner Antlerless Deer License will be issued per qualifying deed, regardless of the acreage in excess of 50.

The landowner understands and must agree to at the time of application, that the fifty (50) or more contiguous acres of land are open to public hunting and trapping and shall remain open to public hunting during the entire hunting license year.

Edit: Nevermind, Bowmaker beat me to it.

sounds like this is dead, as a bill. as long as this doesn't get added as an amendment, this appears to be over

Actually, that is how it works in PA. No special consideration if you're a landowner, resident, nonresident, etc. (1) antlered deer per hunter, per year, regardless of season

Hundreds of potential buyers are not lining up at the PA border to buy land either, so it's a moot point on what their rules are.

The laws in we have in Iowa are to protect a very very limited resource because Iowa has so little recreational land.

Each state has different situations and laws concerning them and one cannot compare one to another.

If Mexicans come to PA without being legal residents...do you offer them the sames rights and privileges...of course not and no one, knowing full well the laws in Iowa should expect them to be changed to suit them.

If Mexicans come to PA without being legal residents...do you offer them the sames rights and privileges...of course not and no one, knowing full well the laws in Iowa should expect them to be changed to suit them.

You're comparing an illegal alien, to a person who is a UNITED States citizen who has purchased land in a state they don't live in? Seriously?!? I think some of you have lost touch with reality.

Last edited:

Come on Paul. Give me a break. To compare IA nonresident landowners (NRLOs), who also happen to be American Citzens just like you, to Mexican illegal aliens is pretty low and uncharacteristically weak for you.

Guys, bottomline is that NRLOs pay the same taxes as resident landowners, yet don't take advantage of many of the most costly public services supported by their tax dollars. Instead, all we're looking for is an opportunity to hunt ONE any-sex deer on our own deeded property. I think that's a pretty reasonable exchange.

RISTO: You forgot to mention the statewide any-sex, all-season tag you residents also get. So, as a resident landowner, you can get tags to harvest THREE antlered deer each year if you so choose. As NRLOs, we're looking for just one --- and only for our own property. Hardly an equal privilege to resident landowners.

You ohers ... comparing PA landowners benefits to those of IA, have it all over PA landowners as far as perks and benefits. I suppose to get a "free" license, we'd have to open our land to public hunting. But that still only entitles me to hunt/harvest ONE antlered deer per-year. Period. The PA Game Commission's Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) allows landowners to submit a simple management plan and get additional anterless tags ... without opening their land to public hunting. I know plenty of landowners, but NONE who would open their land to public hunting just to avoid buying the $20 resident hunting license. So, no comparison with Iowa. You people have it made as far as landowner benefits.

Again, NRLO's aren't expecting those same benefits. We're just looking to be able to hunt our own, deeded, tax-paid land if we so choose. To allow NRLO's to get a priority of the 6000 nonresident any-sex deer tags, would be a simple solution ... and keep most everyone happy.

QUOTE]of course not and no one, knowing full well the laws in Iowa should expect them to be changed to suit them.[[/QUOTE]

Can someone please tell me when Iowa changed the laws regarding NR LO rights? Just wondering what year that was.

Magnus ...I am happy to say that the bill will never pass.What happens when you have more than 6000 NRLOs does the DNR just raise the quota? Most of the NRLO don't support anything in the commuity.They bring their own food when they come to hunt and don't even support the grocery stores.
IMO if a non-resdient has enough money to buy land and pay taxes each year they can afford another $500 to draw a tag.

QUOTE]of course not and no one, knowing full well the laws in Iowa should expect them to be changed to suit them.[

Can someone please tell me when Iowa changed the laws regarding NR LO rights? Just wondering what year that was.[/QUOTE]

About 3 years ago when they took away antlerless archery tags.

Again, NRLO's aren't expecting those same benefits. We're just looking to be able to hunt our own, deeded, tax-paid land if we so choose. To allow NRLO's to get a priority of the 6000 nonresident any-sex deer tags, would be a simple solution ... and keep most everyone happy.

Nothing like giving it to the little guys, I have NR friends that hunt with me. What would happen to their odds of getting tags?

Add those NRLO tags on top of the quota and displace a bunch of hunters pushing more and more to public ground, once again giving it to the little guy.

This whole issue is about doing what is best for the state's deer herd and all the hunters that enjoy its recources. Just because a few have deeper pockets then the rest should not entitle them to anything.

The bills in question are dead and for good reason.

archery95: I don't think the majority of NRLO's have an issue with the $500 tag. Their issue is not being guaranteed to get an any-sex tag to hunt their own property. I also disagree with your generalization that they don't suppport the local economy. All NRLOs that I know, support local businesses in many ways.

About 3 years ago when they took away antlerless archery tags.

Oh, yes, the temptation tag. However, the way I remember that one, it wasn't a a change to NR landowners, it applied to all NRs.

Magnus,

One yes/no question: Did you know that as a NR that you would have to enter the draw to be able to hunt property you might buy in Iowa?

Limit your response to a single word; yes or no.

Oh, yes, the temptation tag.The DNR realized that no one in their right mind was going to come 1000 miles or more to shoot a doe.They knew those people had other ideas in mind of how to take a buck.Either on a family members tag or something.
I wish they would do the same with shotgun hunters.I wouldn't even care if they gave the ones that drew an any sex tag a free antlerless tag.But to allow non-residents to hunt with a doe tag and shoot a buck is crazy.

Top Bottom