Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa bill to rise non resident deer tags from 6,00

Re: Iowa bill to rise non resident deer tags from

[ QUOTE ]
Good hunting, I hope you all kill the biggest DOE of your lives this season,

....before the Buck of your dreams!
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

Good post Steve, looks like you're using your head and have some awesome hunting. Good Luck.

The reasons they want to increase NR tags are simple: Money, Reduce herd, Money etc. But we have to remember that LOTS of NR folks aren't here in IOWA "BIG BUCK CAPITAL" to shoot something without antlers. Sell tags to NR that are antlerless only. Solves the reduction problem, still brings in Money and insurance companies are happy. Only problem is then none of the big NR hunters will want to come to Iowa, they can shoot does in their state for cheap!

Money is the root of all evil, and one of these days our deer herd will suffer because of greedy politicians WHO DON'T HUNT!!

Stickbow beat me to it: Earn-a-Buck is the answer. If you are worried about not enough does being taken then makea requirement to shoot a doe first before you shoot a buck.

Be careful not to let the "mostly private land" argument lull you, my state has much less public land than yours and the western half of the state has been overrun by out-of-state outfitters -- just watch the past four years of Muzzy videos -- makes me want to shoot Wasps. Work hard, you guys have a good thing there in Iowa don't lose it!

Shouldn't make any difference to them but it does so it makes me think they have a completely different agenda. Anyone with any common sense knows the NR is not the answer to "too many deer". If they want to gain $1.2 million with an extra 3000 tags at $400, just raise the existing 6000 tags to $600. Same outcome as far as $ with less NR pressure.

Earn a Buck sounds good, but how could it be enforced??? What would stop somebody from killing that monster that came by before he has even seen a doe yet?

MRH, You wouldn't have a buck tag until you legally killed and checked in a doe, then you would have "EARNED" your buck tag.

Pharmer, Re-read my comment on "Common Sense"...simply raising the license fees makes it too obvious it is just about the money, by increasing the number of licences it can APPEAR to under the 'guise of trying to reduce the numbers of deer which we know it clearly will not have any significant impact on.

Damn!!
mad.gif
Must be having another one of those days...I said I wasn't going to post anymore on this topic!! (Although so far, everyone's thinking before they type, and that IS refreshing)
waytogo.gif

Girls hunt too the NR are already buying antlerless tags. It's not stopping them from shooting bucks and having the farmer or locals go and buy a res. tag for it.

I just wanted to make it clear that I am in no way against non-resident hunters. The fact is that Iowa has become a great place to hunt whitetails because of responsible tag allocation. There is no question in my mind that if we increase NR tags, the quality of Iowa deer hunting will suffer dramatically. Maybe not the first year, but in subsequent years it would become painfully obvious. Most of the non-residents I know have no interest in changing the status quo. They are happy to get a chance every couple of years to hunt Iowa deer, because they know it will be a quality hunt. By and large it has been the deep pocket outfitters that want to ruin a good thing in the long run for short term profits.

Iowa is a great place to hunt due to low hunting pressure compared to other places in the country. IA offers 3 buck tags for resident landowners, party hunting, late season rifle hunting, which are not consistent with wise QDM. I personally know several farmers in IA who shoot as many deer as they can with rifles, and have been doing so for years, due to not liking them. Deer get old in IA because of very low pressure across the board. That said I have no problem with the current NR allocation.

Can't we go a 1000 at a time and make sure people have places to hunt? I like having my out of state friends come and hunt with me when they draw, but Id hate to show up on the public land I been hunting for years and find the parking lot full everyday. I think bumping it up 3000 is going to put lots more people closer together and just run the deer out of the public land, then no one will be getting anything or wanting to hunt them.
seems like a big up to me, A full 1/3 more hunters in one year. I think there's going to be some parking lot fights
confused.gif
and local hunters starting to hate out of state hunters which I feel isn't the case now.....

The quota is fine the way it is. We can't give the dnr or farm buruea or insurance companies anymore.

They wanted the herd to be knocked down and IOWANS responded by shooting lots of does. The only thing and I'll say it again, the only thing that these special interest groups want is more money.

All those dumba$$es think about is today instead of tomorrow.

If tags increase it will mean more outfitters and NR hunters limiting access to prime ground and not taking the usual amount of deer off that ground that always got killed when residents had access.
Then over time I believe you will see alot more disease spread through deer by over populations. This will then decrease the deer populaion alot. Then when the deer population goes down you will see less and less hunters because we can't take our kids out to safe places to hunt where so many other hunters have to focus. Then money from hunters won't even be coming in long term.

Long term.... tag increase is the worst thing for IA and the midwest.

NR need to just be happy w/ the chance to come to the last great midwest state not to be whored out and get the chance to hunt big deer every few years.

Hood
I also hold everything you say w/ a grain of salt because i know you were the guy on archery talk trying to convince everyone that IA should try being like Pike county.

Just don't come on here acting like you care about the NR tag issue when I know what side of the fence you're on.

[ QUOTE ]
I also hold everything you say w/ a grain of salt because i know you were the guy on archery talk trying to convince everyone that IA should try being like Pike county.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that thread to.
crazy.gif

pike county, now there is something to strive for. north american whitetail magazine had atleast 3 adds for outfitters in pike county. 3 separate outfitters in ONE county....sad

but back on topic...
their arguement that deer numbers are still too high is RETARDED! the DNR just this past spring told the iowa hunter that herd numbers have dropped dramatically and that we are doing a great job. some counties had antlerless tags taken away entirely. obviously we are getting the job done. now, suddenly, numbers are way too high again? how in the hell can these legisative idiots make that claim? the harvest numbers aren't even out yet. they want to make changes before they get the facts. what if we actually overharvested does this year? (not likely) but to raise the numbers of ANY tag allowances, NR or res, would be stupid. the only changes that need to be made, is to redefine the zones of the state, to put more hunters where the numbers are out of line...PERIOD

earn-a-buck will never fly in iowa

It was the samething when the bird population was great here in Ia.,I lost several farms to out of state leases and it seemed that alot of land that you drove by had leased signs posted.When my bird dog passed I decided to start bow hunting again for that reason and afraid of the samething happening if NR tags are raised.I have one son that is just starting to hunt with my younger one not to far behind.Just hope I can give them places to go to enjoy the outdoors.This year at a quick stop store to grap a sandwich,I heard a farmer griping to another farmer about to many deer on his place.I asked if he allowed bowhunting there and if he did I would be glad to help him out.He said he leased the land to a guy from Chicago that came down a couple thimes during the season.I told him that was his problem and that he had just created a sancuary for them with this guy if he was lucky only taking one deer that was going to be a buck.

[ QUOTE ]
Just don't come on here acting like you care about the NR tag issue when I know what side of the fence you're on.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right about how I feel, But rising NR tags from 6000 to 9000 in one year is going about building a hunting community way to fast. The poorer counties/Farmers with lots of timber can profit from Outfitting and need this extra income.

But this interstructer isn't build yet!and adding 3000 more hunters all at once is just gonna flood the public lands while outfitters are moving in securing land for the future.

I'm going to start looking for me some land to lease and get in on the money that's coming because that's the Good Old American Way and for those that lay back and complain about things they can't change is just gunna make them old grumpy people.

but 3000 more hunters in one year is gunna put a lot of hunters here without a plan, so put a plan in place and make it work for all.

I don't see the state putting a plan in place for this big jump in numbers.

Hood

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right about how I feel, But rising NR tags from 6000 to 9000 in one year is going about building a hunting community way to fast. The poorer counties/Farmers with lots of timber can profit from Outfitting and need this extra income.

But this interstructer isn't build yet!and adding 3000 more hunters all at once is just gonna flood the public lands while outfitters are moving in securing land for the future.

I'm going to start looking for me some land to lease and get in on the money that's coming because that's the Good Old American Way and for those that lay back and complain about things they can't change is just gunna make them old grumpy people.

but 3000 more hunters in one year is gunna put a lot of hunters here without a plan, so put a plan in place and make it work for all.

I don't see the state putting a plan in place for this big jump in numbers.

Hood

[/ QUOTE ]

Hood,
Here is what you just said

"please don't open up the NR tags because I'll lose the public ground I have all to myself to hunt. Open it slowly so I can use the little money I have to be a worthless outfitter and profit off it. I don't want to be hurt in this and lose my hunting like others will. and oh yeah we have to give these poor farmers in timber communities a chance to live a better life because they are to poor to live."

First off I envy those farmers in those types of communities. They have gotten along for years w/ out all these outfitters and NR money. They don't need the extra income because they already have the best life.
You want these tags to go up slowly so you have a chance to become a outfitter and turn IA into Pike county IL. Ask the resident hunters how much them and their kids like Pike county now that it is the little chicago for hunting.

You are a self derived sick individual and I feel sorry for you and the people who have to put up w/ your half wit ideas. You are nothing but the devil in sheeps wool and the name the Hood suits you.
Now please take your crooked ideas and send them back to archerytalk or where ever else you roam.

Top Bottom