Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

iowawhitetail coyote count and random dog hunt pic

I don't either but I still go. Haven't had ideal conditions while out, always super windy.

We called one in last weekend, he went down wind of us and the party was over. I wonder how many times that happens and you don't know it?

I killed a female pup during 2nd shotgun season. I've been out twice calling them, no luck so far. I'll start hitting it hard here in a week or so. They are real thick in southern Iowa. Have to administer a little fawn protection.

What do you guys use for your best distress call? Cottontail? Jackrabbit? Fawn? Woodpecker?

3 dead yotes for Startown12 and his crew all in one day.
picture.php

Minnesota

Last edited:
What do you guys use for your best distress call? Cottontail? Jackrabbit? Fawn? Woodpecker?

First night I ever went out moonlighting and calling, I called in 5 (2 pairs and a single) all with a mouth distress cottontail call in 3 different spots.. only have called in one more since and have tried electronic callers a few times with no success... First time must have just been one helluva night! I didn't even know what the heck I was doing and they were just running in. Maybe more people are using calls now and they are becoming educated in my area?

A show called "Dead Dog Walking" had an episode where they kept track of how many stands they completed before having any success on one of their trips. They had great ground that had been pre-scouted and they had good weather for calling. I think they did over 20 stands before they got a yote! Its just like any other type of hunting, some days you are covered up, other days you just have to enjoy being outdoors when nothing seems to work out.

I recently read an article that said in the midwest, experienced callers typically average 1 response out of every 8 sets. That seems like a lot of nothing, but when it does happen it's well worth it I'm sure.

My brother and I have killed 3. We truck hunt with cb's when there is snow but we do a fair amount of calling too. Our group we truck hunt with has killed ten or so. Calling has been tough. Only seen 2 in about 12 sets. Missed one and never got a shot at the other one. Can't wait for a snow on the ground and a nice full moon. Hands down best times to call coyotes.

I have a couple properties I deer hunt that are LOADED with yotes- never hunted them but would be willing to take someone with lots of experience there hunting some day or night? Could go to 4 different properties in union, ringgold or Madison county.

My brother and I have killed 3. We truck hunt with cb's when there is snow but we do a fair amount of calling too. Our group we truck hunt with has killed ten or so. Calling has been tough. Only seen 2 in about 12 sets. Missed one and never got a shot at the other one. Can't wait for a snow on the ground and a nice full moon. Hands down best times to call coyotes.

Can you explain the truck hunts? I have a few buddies that hunt this way. I still dont really understand. You just run dogs?

A group of guys with trucks and CB radios surround a section with a coyote in it that they have seen and release a dog usually trained to follow coyote scent at the last known track and use a tracking collar to keep tabs on the the dog. Then either the coyote gets kicked up by the dogs or gets cornered and the guys move in for the kill.

We have used dogs. Some people do. We don't have any dogs at the moment. One guy has some wolf hounds that are all catch dogs not trail dogs. We are a group of mostly farmers and salesmen that either own or have very good relationships with a lot of landowners. We drive around cover, usually just draws and fence lines as there isn't much timber around where we do this. We honk the horns or will shoot a couple rounds into a tree to jump the coyote. Then the chase is on. I know a lot of people on here will get all judgmental and think we are always trasspassing or all kinds of other things. But I can assure you we have permission on all ground we go on. We usually even ask every time before going in, even of the land owner says we don't need to. It is a lot of fun, and no one gets to crazy. Been tough this year with no snow. Haven't been out but a couple times.

I don't either but I still go. Haven't had ideal conditions while out, always super windy.
Yeah, the wind has prevented me from going a couple times. Although it seemed to die down when I would want to be out, but by then my day was occupied by something else. Was gonna do a sit last Sunday, hoping to find a quiet spot before the wind was too high, but checking trail cams and walking a couple fence lines looking for sheds took too long. Not many pics on the cams and no sheds either! My grandpa saw a couple yotes in one area I was thinking about calling in while choring, but didn't get a shot at either one. And I usually get one or two on camera each card pull, so I know they're around. Just gotta get to sittin and callin!

We have used dogs. Some people do. We don't have any dogs at the moment. One guy has some wolf hounds that are all catch dogs not trail dogs. We are a group of mostly farmers and salesmen that either own or have very good relationships with a lot of landowners. We drive around cover, usually just draws and fence lines as there isn't much timber around where we do this. We honk the horns or will shoot a couple rounds into a tree to jump the coyote. Then the chase is on. I know a lot of people on here will get all judgmental and think we are always trasspassing or all kinds of other things. But I can assure you we have permission on all ground we go on. We usually even ask every time before going in, even of the land owner says we don't need to. It is a lot of fun, and no one gets to crazy. Been tough this year with no snow. Haven't been out but a couple times.
I know people who road hunt both ways too. My wife's family usually does it without dogs I believe, but people who do the next section over run dogs. I think her family gets some that the dogs run out and no one shoots. Most of the time they just drive and/or sit watching for something to move, then get to a position where they can cut it off and get a shot.

Some people around here that truck/cb hunt all split up after a fresh snow and drive around sections until they find a fresh track going into a section and then drive around it to make sure the track doesn't exit the section.. then they have to figure out who owns it and make some calls if it's on ground they don't already have permission on. then they call everyone in and surround the section and send a few guys in down fence rows and creeks to bust them out and the guys on the perimeter are waiting.

I like the pic of the AR and the hilly back ground. I have a 60's era colt that has some vc blood on it I think?

Top Bottom