Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

iowawhitetail coyote count and random dog hunt pic

Made 3 sets late last night. First set had one sneak in to 30 yds. When I clicked the safety off he was gone. Happened fast. Walking out from that set we spotted another one across the highway that was coming in. We messed with him for a bit but gave up. 2nd set yielded a lot of answers but no sightings. 3rd set was a bust. As we were leaving to a 4th set we spotted one from the highway and he wasn't so lucky. Got setup quick where he was headed and let him come on his own. They were active but I'm still upset we didn't capitalize on the first one.

I made an attempt last night as well. Heard one on the first set but no sightings. Nothing on the second set either. I then did a little gravel travel to see if I could locate any by stopping and calling every couple miles. Nothing.

what do you guys typically do to locate them? Howl? Barks?

Honestly thought about crying yesterday as we lost a good majority of our snow but we went after them again last night anyway.

1st couple sets the dogs were way off in the distance after locating in large sections and none appeared. Next set we located near the road and dropped down into the fence line. We had a good cross wind and the gravel road as our back drop. We were confident they wouldn't cross the road to wind us, the dog below snuck into about 85yds and we simultaneously shot, dead dog! Young Male with a beautiful pelt. Next set we called in 3 but with the clouds that rolled in around 1am and lacking snow we weren't able to seal the deal....THANK GOD it snowed again!
Double .204'ed this guy, amazing how well you could hear both bullets smack!
picture.php

Talked me into it

Following this thread has given me the motivation to give it a go. I was looking out the window around 3 a.m. this morning, moon was so bright I could almost see a half mile across the snow covered field. I thought about going out, but didn't know exactly where all my gear was.

Fixed that this afternoon, found the rabbit squealer, got the Rem 700 out of the safe, found the box of handloads a friend twisted up for me. From the label on the box:

7MM Rem Mag, Fed Mag primer, 64.3 gr of IMR 4831, 100 gr HP, 3,100 FPS. I hope the moon is as bright tonight as it was last night. :D

My brother just had a coyote dead to rights 110 yards with the .308 no idea we were there. Pulls the trigger...click. Bolt wasn't locked in.. Locks the bolt pulls trigger . Click. Misfired shell. Poor kid never has good luck..

Let alone we watched the thing walk straight to us from 1000 yards out.

Top Bottom