Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

iowawhitetail coyote count and random dog hunt pic

Downed my first coyote ever last night! Went out with a friend and did a couple sets. About 20 minutes into the first set we had two run right to us. I dropped the first one at about 40 yards and we boyh missed the second, multiple times. Hand calls (barks, howls and rabbit distress).

ForumRunner_20140211_104457.jpg

Downed my first coyote ever last night! Went out with a friend and did a couple sets. About 20 minutes into the first set we had two run right to us. I dropped the first one at about 40 yards and we boyh missed the second, multiple times. Hand calls (barks, howls and rabbit distress).

View attachment 2347
Nice job! How many sets did you make this season before you called 'em in? I'm still trying to find time get out.

Nice job! How many sets did you make this season before you called 'em in? I'm still trying to find time get out.

We went out one night the last full moon. It was windy and we didn't see anything. I've done a few daytime sits since then with no luck. Got this one on the first set last night. Did one more set after and heard a bunch but nothing came in.

For you guys hunting at night, what power optic are you running? I've heard that the lower power optics work best. I have a fixed 10X on mine because that's what I had laying around at the time...

For you guys hunting at night, what power optic are you running? I've heard that the lower power optics work best. I have a fixed 10X on mine because that's what I had laying around at the time...

With snow on the ground if you have a clear night and almost full moon you'll be fine. Its about like daylight out there.

I have been using a 6-24x44mm scope backed all the way out to 6power. I would like to upgrade to a 50mm optic for night hunting.

We made 5 sets last night after locating dogs and had multiple dogs within 300-400 yards each time but they wouldn't commit to coming in. They would stay out and serenade/bark/howl for 5 to 10 minutes then lose interest and leave....very frustrating but boy is it fun when it works.

Any thoughts or advice on getting them to commit to coming into distance is appreciated.

I have been using a 6-24x44mm scope backed all the way out to 6power. I would like to upgrade to a 50mm optic for night hunting. We made 5 sets last night after locating dogs and had multiple dogs within 300-400 yards each time but they wouldn't commit to coming in. They would stay out and serenade/bark/howl for 5 to 10 minutes then lose interest and leave....very frustrating but boy is it fun when it works. Any thoughts or advice on getting them to commit to coming into distance is appreciated.

What caliber do you shoot? 300 yards I would put it on the top of its back and squeeze. Did you try challenge barks? Do you use a coyote decoy? In my experience I believe it's a lot like calling turkeys some will fully commit and come right in and others won't come no matter what you throw at em. A lot of times coyotes will hang up just inside the timber when night calling and bark and howl and make all kinds of noise but will never show themselves. Have you tried calling with a buddy? Put one guy 100 yards in front of the caller in the expected coyote path or if you have a fox pro set the caller 100 yards away at 2 o'clock from your position directly up wind of you but relevant to where you believe the coyote will come from. I believe wind direction compared to the section/terrain you hunt is the most crucial part of trying to call coyotes. If there's a a spot where you can set up that gives the coyote the false impression that they can safely get down wind of the call without being in the wide open by using buffer strips, fence rows, small washouts etc. those are going to be your best producing spots year after year.

What caliber do you shoot? 300 yards I would put it on the top of its back and squeeze. Did you try challenge barks? Do you use a coyote decoy? In my experience I believe it's a lot like calling turkeys some will fully commit and come right in and others won't come no matter what you throw at em. A lot of times coyotes will hang up just inside the timber when night calling and bark and howl and make all kinds of noise but will never show themselves. Have you tried calling with a buddy? Put one guy 100 yards in front of the caller in the expected coyote path or if you have a fox pro set the caller 100 yards away at 2 o'clock from your position directly up wind of you but relevant to where you believe the coyote will come from. I believe wind direction compared to the section/terrain you hunt is the most crucial part of trying to call coyotes. If there's a a spot where you can set up that gives the coyote the false impression that they can safely get down wind of the call without being in the wide open by using buffer strips, fence rows, small washouts etc. those are going to be your best producing spots year after year.

I apologize, I wasn't very clear about them holding up. That was a guess in regards to how far out they were. I know sound can be deceiving but I believe they were holding up in cover just as you mentioned. I shoot a 204 with a 40gr Vmax Handload. Our decoy is in the mail after last nights hesitant coyotes.

I really agree with and like the ideas you presented above. We usually call with at least 2 of us and sometimes 3. I really shouldn't complain because we have called and killed on probably 4 of our 12-14 night sets but it is just so frustrating when you know they are there and hold up :mad:

During your night sets are you typically locating before you call in a general area or are you just going in blind or on past visualizations? We have been have much more luck locating from the gravel road and then moving into a spot where we have the wind advantage and can have a shooter away from the call to to hopefully intercept them.

Shots or no shots it is always a blast but boy would it be fun to knock a couple down tonight. Thanks again for the input. Good luck!

Much better luck tonight, just finished at 315 am. My hunting partner and I each killed 1 and we had another set that produced dog visuals but we had some miscommunication and they used a drainage to escape. 5 dogs called in, will post pics tomorrow.

Called a double in last nite but I didn't see them until I already had my fox pro put back in my pocket after 45 minutes of calling. I was on the edge of crp and a cedar grove. I take it was the female that I saw run into the pines so I put out my call again and started with the coyote locator howls and 1 minute later the male came out and sat down 60 yds away. The 85 grain varmit tipped bullet out of my 25-06 gave him a snow nap. Sold him that nite and got $20.00. I use to call alot but this was my first time out this year so i was happy. Had been getting these yotes on my cameras so I knew they were in the area.

You guys hammering them at night...you using a spotlight mounted on the scope once the yote is in range?

No you'd be amazed at what kind of light a scope will bring in. Id say 5 days plus or minus the full moon and your good to go. I use a 50mm scope and it helps a lot but 40mm is fine. Once your eyes adjust it's all about spotting them with the naked eye. Then you can see perfect once you bring them into the scope.

No you'd be amazed at what kind of light a scope will bring in. Id say 5 days plus or minus the full moon and your good to go. I use a 50mm scope and it helps a lot but 40mm is fine. Once your eyes adjust it's all about spotting them with the naked eye. Then you can see perfect once you bring them into the scope.

Awesome, just the info I was looking for. I was contemplating getting one of those Primos 350 yard spotlights that attaches to the scope but I'll roll with just the scope and see how it goes...I have the 50mm on my AR.

When there is no moon what do you guys roll with for seeing them at night?

Awesome, just the info I was looking for. I was contemplating getting one of those Primos 350 yard spotlights that attaches to the scope but I'll roll with just the scope and see how it goes...I have the 50mm on my AR.

When there is no moon what do you guys roll with for seeing them at night?

Spotlights are illegal for yotes in Iowa fyi. You can see fine with full moon.

Brock - I haven't had any luck seeing them at dark without a nearly full moon and snow blanket. So each night I pray we will have clear skies and snow when the full moon is around....boy I thought my wife hated deer season, she really hates clear skies and night dogs! After a rough year of deer hunting this has been a great way to get out and enjoy the outdoors

Here is a few of the pics from this year, pics aren't great as some were just fwd'd to me on the phone and are compressed

1st dog of the year, patrolling a good friends feed lot
picture.php

Brothers Night Dog
picture.php

1st Night Dog in Nov
picture.php

Last Night's Dog
picture.php

Last Nights Combo Shot
picture.php

Called in my first coyote last night. He got to about 30 yards and being left handed I had to reach across the gun to turn the safety off. He noticed something ups then and got nervous. I rushed to get a shot and missed a wide open easy shot:(. But I am definetly hooked on moon light hunting

We have the snow but also had a front come through last night. Too cloudy to go. Looks like you guys are slaying them!

Looks like Friday night is going to be the night to go if the clouds clear off. Hourly forecast says fresh snow tomorrow morning then clear skies at night. I think the full moon is on Friday too.

Top Bottom