Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

iowawhitetail coyote count and random dog hunt pic

Could you use a savage .17HMR for yotes?

also- I have this Saturday 2-8 completely open and a few properties that haven't been hunted for yotes but there are a lot of them there (and a few bobcats)

Anyone interested in going- I have ZERO experience with them but would love to see a bunch taken out

3 properties - 1 near winterest and 2 in southern IA near AFTON/Aripse- lots of ground to cover but I know there are a ton of them there

Bdahms - I don't want to play "internet DNR officer" here and I am not saying this in a critical tone, but since you indicated that are new to coyote hunting I thought I would mention that in case you were not aware, the bobcat season is now closed. Almost every furbearer closed on Jan. 31. (You can still trap beaver until April 15th I think, but all other trapping is closed now.) Coyotes are open to hunting 24/7/365 though.

Good luck on the coyote hunting!

Bdahms - I don't want to play "internet DNR officer" here and I am not saying this in a critical tone, but since you indicated that are new to coyote hunting I thought I would mention that in case you were not aware, the bobcat season is now closed. Almost every furbearer closed on Jan. 31. (You can still trap beaver until April 15th I think, but all other trapping is closed now.) Coyotes are open to hunting 24/7/365 though.

Good luck on the coyote hunting!

Thanks for the heads up- I have actually had ample opportunity to shoot bobcat this year but I do not own a furbearers license and I'm aware of the regulations on dates. I was just mainly explain what we have on The property. Coyotes on my main concern, I just don't have any experience calling them in

Last edited:
BDAHMS send me a PM, I love to call dogs on new properties. I'm not the greatest but like to have fun.

Gave it a try on Sunday...did a pregame sit around 4:00 - 5:00. Nothin. Saw a few tracks tho. Was gonna do a couple sits that afternoon, but time got away from me. Hopefully get a chance to go this weekend too, but don't want to burn up too many "approved" outings before I start shed hunting. Thinking early morning might be good, as I have some pics from just before daylight/dawn timeframe.

What's everyone's thoughts on how long to wait after hunting a property to try again? Would a week later be ok, considering I didn't see anything (given the possibility that they could have just outsmarted me)? Maybe this doesn't belong on a count thread.

Made 5 sets this afternoon, called 3 up in one set but brush and a fence got in the way!

Dang Matt, looks like we need to team up and I can share with you what I know about coyote calling. :)

Nice work! Looks like a blast. Let me know about march 2nd. I have 2 more properties to stop at- 6 total

Yeah, it always looks good there but nothing yet. Did pull a guy out of your farm lot stuck in a drift. His full sized Chevy needed my Nissans help.

That aught ta generate a response.

Yeah, it always looks good there but nothing yet. Did pull a guy out of your farm lot stuck in a drift. His full sized Chevy needed my Nissans help.

That aught ta generate a response.

What kind of wuss vehicle was he driving?;)

I've been in and out of the lane with my Honda Civic.

I know. He thought I was stuck at the end and bladed a bit, then got stuck turning around. It was pretty comical as my truck was half the size of his. Bald guy, knew you.

Saw a couple yotes while driving yesterday morning. Two about 70 yards off the highway in a field around 9:30. No idea whose land it is or if they would grant access. Would have been a cool spot and stalk tho!

Did a sit yesterday afternoon...no yotes. Had a few crows fly in tho.

Our group got another 7 this weekend. Heading out to do a couple sets this afternoon then going to try tonight with the bright moonlight. Should be good tonight!

Top Bottom