Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Land Leased by a IW Member (UPDATED)

Steve-O

World Member
For all to know this is just a fun, though I am upset, some good things come to a end

And I need to start thinking twice about inviting you guys down to my place for the Gathering
grin.gif

Found out today that a place I bowhunted this year and hope to bow hunt next year was
leased up by a IowaWhitetail Member or I think a member, he showed up to the Gathering last year anyway.

All I am asking is if you read this will you let me hunt
grin.gif

And I am going to try to get in there before you sign the contract and get all of your sheds because I know you are a Shed head
grin.gif

So lets carry on the conversation.

How could you do this to one of your own?
grin.gif

Re: Land Leased by a IW Member

Wow. If all that is true, you had alot more smiley faces in your post than i would have had.

Talk about a kick in the Nads.

Ouch! I feel for you. In the past three years I have lost two farms to out of state hunters leasing/buying them, and it sucks! Unfortunatley, this is becoming somewhat common here in Iowa (leasing land). I read a magazine article in the magazine Deer and Deer hunting a few months back that predicted that "American Hunting" is starting to move towards Europes style, where only the rich can hunt. Atleast we've got a lot of public ground to hunt in Iowa....
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ouch! I feel for you. In the past three years I have lost two farms to out of state hunters leasing/buying them, and it sucks! Unfortunatley, this is becoming somewhat common here in Iowa (leasing land). I read a magazine article in the magazine Deer and Deer hunting a few months back that predicted that "American Hunting" is starting to move towards Europes style, where only the rich can hunt. Atleast we've got a lot of public ground to hunt in Iowa....
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Only about 1% of the total land in the state! LOL

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. If all that is true, you had alot more smiley faces in your post than i would have had.

Talk about a kick in the Nads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh it is a kick in the Nads but what does a guy do except move on.
I guess also sometimes you know who your friends are, really arent when it comes down to good ground.

I just dont want to create any waves..........................yet.

I havent really talked to the guy who leased it (who lives over 2 hrs away) and if you were at the Gathering a lot of you more then likely took him as a nice guy, which really surprised me.

This property is with in sight distance of my house to give you a idea, and 10 minute walking distance to the east side of the timber.

Also, this is true, have no reason to lie, just talked to the landowner about 3 hrs ago about shed hunting and he told me this

I wouldn't lease land down there around your place with that terrible poaching problem you have been having. What is the count now Bwhntr4life? Didn't you say you found 13 bucks over your way with their heads cut off recently? Smart move for that guy. You would be better off finding a new place to hunt anyways.
confused.gif

If he knew that was where you hunted...that is just low. There are plenty of places to hunt with out affecting other people.

Well I dont know if it was quite 13 but maybe close.
Has been quite a few but in southern Iowa on dead end roads and only 1 game warden what do you expect?

[ QUOTE ]
If he knew that was where you hunted...that is just low. There are plenty of places to hunt with out affecting other people.

[/ QUOTE ]

He knew because when he was at my house, he asked me where I hunted and if it was around here and I said yep just behind my house, you see it I hunt it.

Me and my big mouth.

you shouldn't have to hide where you hunt. thats like stealing your horse back in the day. it just goes to show you how disrespectful people are. i feel a lynching coming on
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
you shouldn't have to hide where you hunt. thats like stealing your horse back in the day. it just goes to show you how disrespectful people are. i feel a lynching coming on
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It is getting to be that way anymore, hate to say it. Respect for the person who hunts it is out the window when there are big deer around the area.

wow, if Im understanding this right ...
Are you saying this fellow drove 2 hours to come to the shed gathering, hosted by you, asked you about the ground you hunt, then aproached the landowner with an offer to lease? If this is the case, what exactly was it that attracted him so strongly to that exact piece of property? Big sheds, large deer photos or mounts? Im just having trouble figuring out why he would target that exact piece of ground 2 hrs from home.

[ QUOTE ]
wow, if Im understanding this right ...
Are you saying this fellow drove 2 hours to come to the shed gathering, hosted by you, asked you about the ground you hunt, then aproached the landowner with an offer to lease? If this is the case, what exactly was it that attracted him so strongly to that exact piece of property? Big sheds, large deer photos or mounts? Im just having trouble figuring out why he would target that exact piece of ground 2 hrs from home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer your first 3 questions= Yes, yes, and yes

Nope no sheds were showed from the property( I didnt have any out from any of my properties) Nope no photos that I showed and yep 2 mounts from the property but he never saw them.
Just word of mouth and that there are big deer every where.
He might of done some more investigating (spot lighting, talking to more of the locals etc.....) I dont know exactly why he would pic this exact property. I will ask him when I see him. Im sure he will be out there looking for the sheds.

Only thing I could think of is that it is the largest track of timber in that square.

I have only told a few people what is on there but there is a group of shotgun hunters(who are local) that hunt it as well. So maybe he caught them while they were hunting it.

Some people just drive around during shotgun season and talk to people for this very reason.

I will tell you why, it's because some people don't know how to hunt. They take the easy way out. Think about it, that guy has to put in zero work, besides cutting a check knowing he will be in a quality area. The real hunters are guys who find their own spots on their own instead of hoarding in on people, after gaining their trust, with their fat wallets and taking their ground.
blush.gif

That's why you gotta be like my roomate (Scott I.C) He won't even tell his mom about a deer he saw or what part of the state he is even hunting. He doesn't trust her and she lives 7 hours away
blush.gif
Sometimes I wonder what he sees
grin.gif

Ummm... that officially stinks!

I say you "out him" so the rest of us can boo him for you.

Top Bottom