Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

leased ground

enis

I work with a guy that has 135 acres in Van Burean county Iowa.He wants to lease it out great hunting ground along the Des Moines river. Not that fond of the leasing around our area. Most of the ground around me is getting leased only for the HORNS.And that sucks,this ground has been hunted by our family for generations and mainly for the meat.Of course everyone would love to have a trophy.I guess money talks.Not going to be good for the herd control.Anyway I hesitated to do this but is there any respectable hunters wanting to lease ground in Van Burean county. He claims it hasn't been hunted for 35 years.

Not that I have a chance in hell of doing this, just curious - what kind of price tag is he talking for the lease for a year? I love that area of the state.

He has no idea what it's worth the last time I heard the going rate was 10$ an acre. Am i to far off or should it be less?

It just amazes me that people down there will pay $10 to hunt a piece of land...

Heck up here people pay $40-$50 an acre to rent the land for farming...

What is land rent down there, like $250 an acre??

Right now, there is a guy renting river bottom ground just west of me for 321 an acre. Most decent farms go for around 225-250 an acre for farm ground.

As for leased ground, I've heard anywhere from 6 an acre to 40.

Prime southern Iowa hunting land is averaging $20/acre. The going average for hunting land is near $10-15 an acre.

I would think $10 and acre is on the cheap side, $15-$20 would be more likely.

I would guess he could ask between $2000 and $2500 for the year for hunting rights...add in a double-dip of renting for farm usage and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand why the current CRP payments don't compete...which is exactly why the number of acres in CRP has been on a steady decline. Suppose there's any correlation between this and the pheasant populations?

If I had that kind of $$$ laying around right now in this market I'd probably use it for something besides a hunting lease.

Off topic...how can anyone make a living if they're renting say a quarter section of tillable for $250 an acre. That's 40,000 dollars by my calculations.

150 / 200 bushel corn @ $6 - $9 per bushel and soy beans @ $10 $12. But that doesn't take into account fuel, seed, fert, ect...

Corn, for example. 150 bushels per acre (bad crop in some areas) x $5.00 per bushel (it's been a lot higher) = $750/acre gross revenue. Yes, input costs are high as well, but as you can see, it certainly is possible to pay $250/acre cash rent and still make a decent profit. Now, if crop prices fall....that's the risk.

NWBuck

Man, I'm going to lease some land in Lee county that's prime and all timber for about $17 an acre, I think I need to up it!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I don't like it BUT when you have expensive land to pay for, sometimes you just have to pay the bills! I understand both sides of the argument though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He has no idea what it's worth the last time I heard the going rate was 10$ an acre. Am i to far off or should it be less? </div></div>

They were getting that 10 years ago but most folks in the know are getting anywheres from $20-80 an acre. Most farmers/landowners advertise to get high dollar.

If you can rent it for 10 bucks an acre...I'd get a long term lease, although I have seen leases broken and re-broken where competition from outfitters is intense.

I've seen fights break out, tree stands sabatouged, phone threats...you name it, all over leased land....

no thanks......... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He has no idea what it's worth the last time I heard the going rate was 10$ an acre. Am i to far off or should it be less? </div></div>

They were getting that 10 years ago but most folks in the know are getting anywheres from $20-80 an acre. Most farmers/landowners advertise to get high dollar.

If you can rent it for 10 bucks an acre...I'd get a long term lease, although I have seen leases broken and re-broken where competition from outfitters is intense.

I've seen fights break out, tree stands sabatouged, phone threats...you name it, all over leased land....

no thanks......... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Amazing what some people will do just to hunt; bring money into the equation and you are just asking for trouble. Its a sad day where money is driving something that is supposed to be fun. I don't know about you all, but I consider it a blessing to be able to hunt and get away from all the mumbo jumbo money driven world

If you're paying say $25 dollars per acre for say 100 acres or $2500 a year. Isn't it more fesible to go out and buy your own land? If you could get 20 acre for $3000 an acre that you OWN.
Wouldn't that make more sense seems how you will be paying about $200 a month for each. Granted you have less land but you also don't have to worry about having a place to hunt every year and wether the price will go up on the lease or possibly losing all together.
I agree with DWILK if you put money in the equation everthing goes down the pooper.
Pritty soon hunting land will be like a 10 million dollar house do you need it or really use it? No. But you can brag about having it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saskguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Off topic...how can anyone make a living if they're renting say a quarter section of tillable for $250 an acre. That's 40,000 dollars by my calculations. </div></div>

I'm at home right now, but once I get to the office tomorrow, I will put it down for you how they do it. Limb was a about right on the price, average corn price, if they marketed it right, will be around 6.75 per bushel. This years crop will be a little off in our area as for bushels per acre, but will still produce a decent crop, and federal crop insurance will kick in on some farms.

So off topic again, is then the argument you hear so often that a farmer needs to lease to make ends meet a little misleading? I'm not trying to get into the right or wrong argument just putting some food for thought on the table.

Posts about leasing make me feel very fortunate, even more than I already do.

Needs to lease is harder terms, helpfull is more like it. With the record high fertilizer prices, a farmer would have to lease his ground for 140 bucks an acre, just to pay for fertilizer.

Top Bottom