Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

leased ground

WOW!!! That was some good stuff fellas, this guy is going to lease this but he wants all he can get for it. He will send aerial photos to you if you pm your phone#'s to me then I will give them to him. I can tell you he really wants at least 3000 for a year. Just want to throw in it's got lots of a-corn tree's,pear tree's,beans,alfalpha. And he is a beer drinker.

Ok this one is for Kaare. It is a break down on what it cost a farmer now days to plant an acre of corn on RENTED ground.

Rent 225.00

P&K 131.00 (thats just a maintenance)

Chemical 49.00 (thats using a RR program)

Insurance 21.00

Seed 95.00

Nitrogen 87.00

So this is a per acre cost, which totals to 608.00, not counting fuel and equipment depreciation.

Say you get a good yield of 185 bu/A @ a price of 6.00, that will equal 1110.00 per acre, with a return of 502.00 per acre.

Not to bad if you ask me, but there are many, many different variables that come to play into this as well, lesser yields, fuel, equipment, and most important thing of all, timing of planting and harvest.

Can you imagine what it would be like if the state let an out-of-stater buy tags over the counter? Every good inch would be bought up or leased.

Game over for us residents.

Where are we at in the state legislature on this issue right now? I know it was a hot topic last year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Avidhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He has no idea what it's worth the last time I heard the going rate was 10$ an acre. Am i to far off or should it be less? </div></div>

They were getting that 10 years ago but most folks in the know are getting anywheres from $20-80 an acre. Most farmers/landowners advertise to get high dollar.

If you can rent it for 10 bucks an acre...I'd get a long term lease, although I have seen leases broken and re-broken where competition from outfitters is intense.

I've seen fights break out, tree stands sabatouged, phone threats...you name it, all over leased land....

no thanks......... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

When the day comes you that you can't hunt without leasing ground, I'll hang up my bow...and I bet many others will do the same. Outfitters want Iowa to become the next Wallstreet. Of course we've seen what happens when free markets run unchecked. The invisible hand is pretty unforgiving and uncaring. Unfortunately there won't be anyone to bail us out...

SO SUPPORT THE IBA - JOIN TODAY! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif </div></div>

Yeah, giving up is usually the best option! </div></div>

I really don't see how you can say this is "giving up". I for one agree with Avidhunter. It is an extreme way to put it but I will not buy into the notion that battling big money should be the grounds behind the sport I love so much. I will not, ever, lease ground.

I agree with a lot of guys on here that say they can understand why some people do it; I understand why they do it too. Not everyone is a hunter, and free money is appealing to anybody, so I find it hard to knock a guy for doing it. But, I don't feel so bad about knocking on the guy that is forking over the cash to said land owner. To me, <u>that</u> is giving up.

Land of the free. ha. not anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWilk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Yeah, giving up is usually the best option! </div></div>

I really don't see how you can say this is "giving up". I for one agree with Avidhunter. It is an extreme way to put it but I will not buy into the notion that battling big money should be the grounds behind the sport I love so much. I will not, ever, lease ground.

I agree with a lot of guys on here that say they can understand why some people do it; I understand why they do it too. Not everyone is a hunter, and free money is appealing to anybody, so I find it hard to knock a guy for doing it. But, I don't feel so bad about knocking on the guy that is forking over the cash to said land owner. To me, <u>that</u> is giving up.

Land of the free. ha. not anymore.

[/quote]

Do you own land? Or do you help work a farm for land? do you hunt public? I guess without knowing your situation, I can't speak for you. Nor can you for me. But I guess to me, and my family working hard to have little extra money to take part in the one thing I truly enjoy is just fine!

I can't buy, yet, but I like having my own piece. I don't whine about others messing up my hunts because I have my own ground. And I have it the only way I could find it!

My point is this, why the heck is leasing what causes people to draw a line?????????? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Land prices are through the roof, and I am yet to see someone say.." that SOB, his grandpa left that land to him and he made 100,000 dollars of it just cause it was willed to him" But I do hear, why should a farmer make extra money by leasing ground? I guess I don't see the difference. People are out to make money in this world weather it be through leasing, selling, t.v. shows, magazines, Websites....etc........

SO I would like to hear why the line gets drawn at leasing? Why is that so unethically? Why would you not lease? SO your saying that you can put a price on you hunting enjoyment and that price is say 1000.00 per year?

Not attacking you DWILK, I am just asking...

I guess I pry lease because I am a worthless lazy person who would rather pay to lease then spend 2000 grand on gas driving around talking to farmers, doing labor at farms.....etc...
That is pry why, Yup, I am a lazy hunter, who has almost 30 different Stand sets, Plants plots, and manages a company or 3.....

Not sure whythis topic works me up, but I just can't imagine how people who love hunting so much that the check a whitetail website daily can say they would give it up if they had to lease. Just seems like a kid sitting in a corner when he didn't get a cookie cause he didn't finish dinner!

Roast away folks, I am headed out of state tomorrow to hunt.. Bad news is, on the way I am stopping to look at a property for lease...(seriously)

I like good discussion, please no one take offense, and I will try not to as well. That is What these sites are all about... difference in opinions!!!

P.S. Didn't proof read so I am sure have of that doesn't make sense, but I am trying to pack!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW!!! That was some good stuff fellas, <span style="color: #FF0000">this guy is going to lease this but he wants all he can get for it.</span> He will send aerial photos to you if you pm your phone#'s to me then I will give them to him. I can tell you he really wants at least 3000 for a year. Just want to throw in it's got lots of a-corn tree's,pear tree's,beans,alfalpha. And he is a beer drinker. </div></div>

Isn't there a classifieds section on the site for pimping crap? I mean if you have a question about leasing fine, but don't use the forum to whore out land.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point is this, why the heck is leasing what causes people to draw a line?????????? </div></div>

Andy,
I appreciate what you are saying and respect your opinion. People don't hate leasing, they hate what it is about. It is about the erosion of what was. It is about the deterioration of friendships developed over time, handshakes and helping others when they need a hand. It isn't about hating people that lease, it is about disliking where it is taking, not a sport, but an instinct in humans. Something so primitive that it is about who we are. Putting a price tag on it creates competition for a limited resource and stirs emotions in people. Nothing more nothing less.

I just think it is a hard topic to really get upset about it. I know that I will do what it takes to hunt.

Its the same as gas prices..... Ill still pay em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point is this, why the heck is leasing what causes people to draw a line?????????? </div></div>

Andy,
I appreciate what you are saying and respect your opinion. People don't hate leasing, they hate what it is about. It is about the erosion of what was. It is about the deterioration of friendships developed over time, handshakes and helping others when they need a hand. It isn't about hating people that lease, it is about disliking where it is taking, not a sport, but an instinct in humans. Something so primitive that it is about who we are. Putting a price tag on it creates competition for a limited resource and stirs emotions in people. Nothing more nothing less. </div></div>

NAIL-ON-THE-HEAD.

Nothing against lessees or leassors, if you got the land to lease or the money to lease it, as long as the laws remain as is, then have at it, but it signals a change in away of life that some of us cling to. I say this from the experience of one neighbor leasing and another that sold the land for hunting value. I had permission to hunt both pieces.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I appreciate what you are saying and respect your opinion. People don't hate leasing, they hate what it is about. It is about the erosion of what was. It is about the deterioration of friendships developed over time, handshakes and helping others when they need a hand. It isn't about hating people that lease, it is about disliking where it is taking, not a sport, but an instinct in humans. Something so primitive that it is about who we are. Putting a price tag on it creates competition for a limited resource and stirs emotions in people. Nothing more nothing less.</div></div>

Bang on!!! I've said it before, to me life is most about family, human relationships and the closeness of community. I have seen those things take a back seat in places, sure hope they never do here.

I'm going fishing this weekend and b/c of it will miss out on a "party" with my ball team. Most of them are landowners who I get permission from, others are just guys like me who maybe don't hunt but if they do, have permission there too. There'll be good food, good drinks, alot of laughs, little kids playing together, wives mingling on one side of the quoncet, men on the other. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif There'll be talk of moose season which is on now, where there are lots of grouse to shoot, the damn weather and how it's hindered haying and harvest. There'll be remenissing about the years ball games and tournaments and the gatherings that we had afterwards. I'm sure they'll talk about "Gunderson" and the buck he shot with a silly bow and arrow. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I kind of regret that I won't be there. It's an important part of my life. It's not just the ball,..or the hunitng, it's the friendships and the attempting to maintain a closeness within a community in a small rural area, the opportunity for my children to get to know other children that come from families with the same ideals as I.

It will sadden me beyond words if my children are not able to raise their children in a world such as I am lucky enough to raise mine. Sorry for the emotional discharge.

Limb, You can sugar-coat it all you want but it is simply about people LOSING HUNTING LAND (often times land they've hunted for years for free) because of a lease.

This is compounded when outfitter's enter the mix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Single Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This is compounded when outfitter's enter the mix. </div></div>

Bingo, most have bottomless pockets, where as normal everyday sportsmen have limited amount of cash to spend on such things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point is this, why the heck is leasing what causes people to draw a line?????????? </div></div>

Andy,
I appreciate what you are saying and respect your opinion. People don't hate leasing, they hate what it is about. It is about the erosion of what was. It is about the deterioration of friendships developed over time, handshakes and helping others when they need a hand. It isn't about hating people that lease, it is about disliking where it is taking, not a sport, but an instinct in humans. Something so primitive that it is about who we are. Putting a price tag on it creates competition for a limited resource and stirs emotions in people. Nothing more nothing less. </div></div>

Couldn't have said it better myself. I find it hard to "hate" anyone in this world, and honestly DoubleA, I respect you for having an opinion. I'm sure if I met you, we'd get along. And I agree, respectively arguing is a great way to get perspective on issues. I don't have a grudge against you. I guess what it boils down to is exactly what Limb Chicken said. I love to hunt; I love the nature of it. I know people that truly love to hunt can understand at least one of the true bases behind it, the connection between you and mother nature, and I just don't like to think about competition and money to be one of the factors that determines whether or not I am able to get out and do what I love.

I'm not an old guy. I haven't been around a long time, but it seems as if times are changing exponentially. I know everything is bound to change, some for the better, some for the worse. Maybe it is cheesy to say, but I miss <u>Iowa</u>, where friends, neighbors, and hard work define people. I just hate the thought that someday Iowa is going to be just a state full of hunt clubs and outfitters and money driven hoorah. There is a place for that sure, but in a money driven world, it is easy to see a monopoly of all the resources towards the high dollar hunting industry. I just see leasing as kind of the "marijuana", the gateway drug, to big money hunting and the loss of what I feel hunting is all about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I pry lease because I am a worthless lazy person who would rather pay to lease then spend 2000 grand on gas driving around talking to farmers, doing labor at farms.....etc...
</div></div>

Man I feel sorry for you DoubleAA if thats really what you have to do. Did you ever think about possibly sharpening up on your people skills? I don't understand why people think its so hard to find a place to hunt without paying! IT'S NOT THAT HARD PEOPLE! If you really have to drive that far and waste that much in gas money, and you get turned down that much from farmers, then you are doing something wrong! GET THE POINT!

This topic really eats away at me, and many of you know this from previous posts that deal with leasing.

I just don't understand why people do it!

DoubleAA, if you don't mind me asking what county are you from? I am from Marion county, but do most of my bow hunting in Monroe county, you know, the county where the almighty world record was shot. Ever since that buck was shot, the amount of pressure in the area has went up, the number of non-residents buying ground in the area has tripled, and the amount of leases has risen exponentially.

BUT.....

For some odd reason, I can still seem to find places to hunt....private places, and good areas too. Do you know how much money i've given to the farmers I hunt on? $0.

I make a point to let them know how much I truly appreciate them giving me the chance to hunt their farms. I show them that I care about their property by not driving all over the damn place. I close gates, and I respect their ground as if it were my own.

There are other hunters who hunt the same areas I do, but thats part of hunting, and i'm ok with it. I would rather see it that way, then get to the point where people are starting to lose opportunities to hunt (as leasing does cause).

The point I am trying to make is that if I can find places to hunt in a county with 'prestige' like Monroe county carries, i'm sure you could find a place to hunt as well in your area.

I'm sure all of you are aware with the fact that each and every year the number of hunting licenses stay stable or decline. People say it is because children are lazy, and like to play videogames all day. There is no doubt about it, society has changed, but I think part of the reason is because the opportunities that were once there for all of us growing up are now gone. Most kids can't walk out there back door anymore and go shoot squirrels or chase rabbits. What got us hooked to the outdoors was the little things, which many people nowadays don't get to experience due to the lack of opportunity to hunt! I don't care what you say, or think, but leasing is without a doubt contributing to the lack of opportunities our youth are able to experience. But....I guess AA leases, so his kids will have a place to hunt.

It's all about the money nowadays, and it makes me sick. It's depressing.

If I offended any of you who lease, then I'm sorry...wait, actually i'm not.

Don't act surprised when the hunting clubs start to take over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gundog870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just think it is a hard topic to really get upset about it. I know that I will do what it takes to hunt.

Its the same as gas prices..... Ill still pay em.</div></div>

The money monsters have you brain washed then buddy..

You dont HAVE to pay to hunt! No matter where you are or who you are! And you never will HAVE to. Thats just the greed that is ruining it for EVERYBODY, and eventually even leasers themselves. Read above.. ^ Sureshot explained it well.

I hear all the time about how people who lease property get outbid on their lease each year and have NO PLACE to hunt.. OUCH.. Sure makes a guy confident in giving your money to someone instead of giving them your trust /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif . It sure feels like a safer side doing the truly so hard, nail biting, nerve wracking, back breaking work of drinkin beer with a guy and talkin to him about who you are and what youre really for. The true dedication shows and guys usually seem to like that. And if they dont, suck it up and look somewhere else, after awhile you should have a few places to hunt and not have to worry about it. Unless the social skills are lacking??? I know if I tried offering money to some of the farmers I know in my area they would slap me!

I have had numerous properties to hunt since I can remember but every year I always go ask on atleast three more. Sure I get turned down sometimes but hell I know I am on the top of the list on many that dont want me to go in just yet and I know enough guys that if all my property would somehow get leased out or burned to the ground I would still have a place to hunt, no money involved. So why ruin what it should be? By offering money?

OMG

Seriously, the whole lazy thing was a sarcastic comment. SO let me answera few of your questions!

I am in Black Hawk county!

And as far as people skills, I own and operate 3 successfully business, am a regional sales Rep for Another huge cooperation in the hunting industry. If youcare to question my social skills I can show you many many many pages of national, and regional sales awards from the insurance and printing industry. Feel free to ask any of my customers from my archery store how my "personal skills" are!! I work from 630 in the morning till 10 at night Monday through Friday and Saturdays from 9 to 5! Sundays I hang stands, film hunts, and edit hunts, and manage the land THAT I LEASE!!!!

As far as the comment about my kids hunting, and me taking away from other youth..... well lets see, yup, my kids(kid) willhave a place to hunt, no matter the finicial sacrafice for me. Yup I care that much! Also, I hold an annual drawing at my archery shop where I take a youth or two out to MY LEASE and film and guide them on a hunt. I am also involved in a program called TAKO(who sponsors at NO COST my Production company).. TAKO stands for TAKE A KID OUTDOORS and me and my staff will spend a few weeks each summer working the camps and teaching archery, all donated!! So I feel I do plenty for the youth! So to question that is just wrong!

I do more work things for friends family and farmers than I care to mention, but I DO NOT EXPECT TO BE GIVING ANYTHING!!! I will always pay my share and work my way through, that is how I was raised and I built my companies! P.S. all were scratch start companies. As a matter of fact those neat Posters you all have of all the IOWA WHITETAIL deer.... yup, those babies were done by me!

So I don't have all the time to look for farms, but guess what, I do have over 400 acres I can hunt that I pay 0 dollars for.... But If there is a particular farm I come acrossed that I would like to hunt, but can't afford to buy, then your DAMN SKIPPY I'll lease it!!! Would you all be bent out of shape if I just bought the farm? Would I be helping hunting if I bought up 500 acres instead of leasing the 200 I have?

I guess I may be screwing people out of their hunting, but guess what, the 25 tags I buy this year to manage does on my lease will help our great state by more land that will be public. Then you can all feel free to hunt that.....

Now here is a question for you, if your farmer said, I have let you hunt for x years, and I would like a little something back, are you going to tell him to piss off? Well then I think you can work on your people skills!!!!!!!

I can see where people get made about cooperations leasing land, but you are the same people who buy everything from WALMART and big companies to save yourself 5 bucks... so I ruin hunting, you ruin small businesses?

I know that is a stretch, but I feel being anti leasing is a stretch too!

I love getting fired up!!! But i'm sure I'll calm down when I get in the stand!!

I would like to know how many people reading this thread either "Assist farmers" buy presents for them, or give money to continue to hunt their land!! Speak up, you people are as bad as me!

Also, I guess the truth is, in a way, all land owners are ruining hunting. Cause if they didn't own the land they hunt, I could hunt it for free.... Same thing, I am just taking the more affordable route!!!!!!!!!!

*keep smiling we are only a week away for all B.S. aside and deer start dying*

I just would like to pose one question. All you anti-leasers out there who are looking at the bigger picture and protecting average joe hunter by not leasing, How many of you would take someone to your spots? Do you have the rights to the ground? By you locking it up it is just the same as leasing correct?? Just that I have the garauntee that I have that farm for a year when I write the check.

Ignorance is bliss. How much do you love something when you wont do what it takes to do it? I would sell my home if I needed to to hunt a year. My friends know it, my family believes it and you better believe I wouldnt bat an eye at putting all available resources on the line to hunt. How much do you love it??

Whenever I got permission to hunt someones land I would give them a couple roasts and some salami even if I didn't shoot the deer on there land.
I'm hunting with a new group this year and if the farmer wanted some help I would be there. Then again even if I wasn't hunting on his land I would help.
I guess I'm bad to AA.
Seems like the big issue is change noone likes it but it's going to happen know matter how much you fight it. The days of sealing the deal with a handshake and a beer are few and far between. Most of us in our 30's and older were raised that way. Now it's a handshake and a check.

Top Bottom