Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

leased ground

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turtL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently do not lease any land. I did put in a bid for a lease but I wasn't the highest bidder. I was one who said I'd NEVER EVER pay to hunt, i have strong feelings against leasing. Why then did I put in a bid? Because the land available is only available through leasing. It's a unique situation in that it's not owned by a farmer it's owned by the County...but it isn't county conservation land. SO the whole you can't beat them, you have to join them thing came into play. It's land that I've always wanted to have the rights to hunt and I was trying my best to make a dream come true.

Reason two, is pretty simple math for me. The land I tried to lease is 120 acres m/l...the current price of decent ground in my hunting area is nearing $4000/acre so a conservative estimate would be $3000/acre. If I wanted to buy 120 acres at $3000 an acre it would cost me $360,000...quite a bit out of my price range. I know the 120 acres I tried to lease went for $2000. SO lets do this math, shall we. At $2000 per year to have the exclusive rights to hunt 120 acres I would be able to hunt the same land for around 180 years at that price. Given my family history I won't live to be more than 80...so leasing this land would afford me a savings of a few hundred thousand dollars.

Not exactly a bad choice or a rich-man's-option-only when you break it down that way.

I DO NOT agree with where leased hunting is taking us and the land in Iowa...but it's a reality that isn't going away. If the situation is right the only problem I'd have in leasing land would be budgeting for it.

Sure I'm like everyone else, I'd love to own my own land...but that is certainly impractical when looking at acreage prices these days. I try to be sensible, realistic and usually over-evaluate everything before i committ.

I know prices are always subject to be increased from year to year...but I know for sure I'd never be able to own 120 acres for the bargain that leasing the same ground would give me. Perhaps my situation is unique and if so, then so be it. It is what it is. </div></div>

Makes sense, if you were going to lease that ground for the rest of your life. Were they willing to sign a lease over to you until you die?

It makes sense until 3 years down the road some yahoo offers double what you paid for it.

Just a thought, and not aimed at you, just happened to be a good reference /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turtL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Because the land available is only available through leasing. It's a unique situation in that it's not owned by a farmer it's owned by the County...but it isn't county conservation land. SO the whole you can't beat them, you have to join them thing came into play.

</div></div>

turtl-

What kind of situation was this that the county could or would lease out publicly owned land for hunting? Don't know the situation, but that just seems wrong.

wilk, I wanted to get a year under my belt first and make sure a carpet yanker didn't happen by the following year and then ask for a 5 year contract. At then end of that 5 years I would assume that it would be re-evaluation time and like I said before...I'm sure the prices are subject to going up, but it would still be cheaper than trying to buy my own 120 acres.

TimeKiller, I'll send a PM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gundog870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just would like to pose one question. All you anti-leasers out there who are looking at the bigger picture and protecting average joe hunter by not leasing, How many of you would take someone to your spots? Do you have the rights to the ground? By you locking it up it is just the same as leasing correct?? Just that I have the garauntee that I have that farm for a year when I write the check.

Ignorance is bliss. How much do you love something when you wont do what it takes to do it? I would sell my home if I needed to to hunt a year. My friends know it, my family believes it and you better believe I wouldnt bat an eye at putting all available resources on the line to hunt. How much do you love it?? </div></div>

Gundog,

You can come hunt with me. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

As far as loving something so much:

You are still young.

I love it also but with four kids and a wife priorities will change your life also someday. Birthdays, anniversaries, kids football games, mortgages, car payments etc. which will all be heading your way in the future.

You will see. Just enjoy the freedom while you can. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

</div></div>

Ain't that truth Risto. Gundog - do as he says - enjoy it while you can!!! Trust me! I said those exact same things, but it changes.

You don't have to have hundreds of acres to kill deer. I have 15 acres and kill deer every year out of it and see good bucks every year. If I want to give it a break or go somewhere else I'll hit some public land for a couples days. Most of the public ground around me really doesn't get much pressure during bow season. The first buck I grunted in a nice 2.5yr 8 point was on public ground about 8 in the morning and he came in from an open corn field about 200 yards away. We won't discuss what happened when he passed at 15 yards. I see deer and turkey in them everytime I get in there.
IMO it's not how much you have it's how you manage it cover food ect give them what they want.
Finacially I'd rather pay $200-$300/mo for 20 acres that I can manage the way I want than give someone $2000 plus for something I have no say in. Or worse put the time and money into some food plot and habitat enhancemnt to lose it in a couple years. I guess the next renters will thank you though.

Let's take Turtl's example a step farther.
At $3000/acre and 120 acres, your total cost is 320k. In most cases the maximum term of a land loan is 15 years. That makes your monthly payment, with a reasonable rate, somewhere around $2500/month or 30k per year!!! Now if it's good hunting ground, you're not going to be able to cash rent all of it so lets say 80 acres is tillable/rentable ground. At the said going rate of $225 cash rent that will give you $18k "income" which will be used I'm assuming towards your land payment. That leaves you $12,000 shy of break even at year end. So if you can lease that ground for a fraction of the cost, say $2000, (or less than one months payment!!!) you're actually ahead by 10,000 at year end. This also does not take into consideration property taxes, insurance, etc...
The end result is: by leasing it will cost you around $166/month, while puchasing will cost on avg. $833/month w/out variable other expenses. It's simple math...simple to calculate, difficult to afford!
So if you were big on investing (which has also been established as to why people purchase land), you could take that that extra "saved" 10k annually and turn a good profit every year, by continuing to compound that over the next 15 years (life of the loan) you would be able to pay cash for your dream land at the end of the 15 years based on your investments. Logical, but not really feasible for most.
By purchasing the land at the end of 15 years, yes, you would own a tangible asset, but you're also taking a risk that prices will remain the same or improve (which history has shown will hold true over time) but there are risks with both sides. Leasing you run the risk of working hard to establish something and losing it, sometimes without warning, to a higher bidder.
15 years is a long time, no one can accurately predict what things will be like then, so is it still wrong to condemn someone willing to bust there tail in order to pay (lease) for a place to hunt? Or is it actually a wise "investment" as well?
It's all in the eyes of the beholder. Relationships, even enough to lease ground, take time to establish with landowners. Life is short...let people do what they wish with there time and money and be thankful we all have an opportunity, in one form or another, to do what we love to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How much do you love something when you wont do what it takes to do it? I would sell my home if I needed to to hunt a year. My friends know it, my family believes it and you better believe I wouldnt bat an eye at putting all available resources on the line to hunt.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you disagree please enlighten me. </div></div>

Somebody obviously needs to!!!
A university would have a hard time trying to do that though!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Selling your house to hunt? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Plain and simple - YOU are out of your mind. To enlighten you there are needs and wants buddy(I can't remember when I learned this but it wasn't in secondary school, pre school prolly. Round the same time I learned about my 5 senses)... I WANT to go hunting every minute of everyday. But realisticly its impossible and it just leaves me dreaming about it when I can't get out there. I NEED to eat, sleep, and have.... shelter? Was that one? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

But I guess if you are really dedicated enough to helping ruin the sport with your BRIGHT leasing idea of selling your house then DO IT! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif Hopefully you are now enlightened, but I don't know too many enlightened hobos. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

And for all of you who think leasing is so great heres a read for ya;

http://www.imbmonsterbucks.com/hunting-land.htm

If you are one of those guys that read that and said I should fill that application out, YOURE A JOKE. Leasing is only helping greedy bastards out like this that just lease out their own lease, total exploitation. Its guys like this that are ruining it for everyone. So next time you go out to your hunting lease and this guy is sitting on your farmers front porch preaching to him how much more money he can give to him than you can, you will realize you are doing everything you HATE!

I feel dumber for even having to explain to someone why its not good!!!

Top Bottom