Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

leased ground

I don't shop at Wal Mart or lease.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How much do you love something when you wont do what it takes to do it? I would sell my home if I needed to to hunt a year. My friends know it, my family believes it and you better believe I wouldnt bat an eye at putting all available resources on the line to hunt.</div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Somebody move this one to the legends forum......

I own the ground I hunt, I don't share with any of you. what is it that I'm doing that is so much better for hunting than someone that leases a property?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: River Bttm Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't shop at Wal Mart or lease.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How much do you love something when you wont do what it takes to do it? I would sell my home if I needed to to hunt a year. My friends know it, my family believes it and you better believe I wouldnt bat an eye at putting all available resources on the line to hunt.</div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Somebody move this one to the legends forum...... </div></div>

if you disagree please enlighten me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just would like to pose one question. All you anti-leasers out there who are looking at the bigger picture and protecting average joe hunter by not leasing, How many of you would take someone to your spots? Do you have the rights to the ground? By you locking it up it is just the same as leasing correct?? Just that I have the garauntee that I have that farm for a year when I write the check.

Ignorance is bliss. How much do you love something when you wont do what it takes to do it? I would sell my home if I needed to to hunt a year. My friends know it, my family believes it and you better believe I wouldnt bat an eye at putting all available resources on the line to hunt. How much do you love it??
</div></div>

I'm going to have to take the bait. Before I do, I'll say again, I don't begrudge anyone that does lease, just not a fan of the effect of it and if I were in a place where I had to do it, i would,...if i could.

Would I take someone to my spots? likely not, because I prefer to hunt alone.

Do I have the rights? Right to hunt yes, but along with many and I mean many other people. Some spots less, some more, but very little of the land I hunt is even posted. I get permission anyways b/c i feel it is the right thing to do but I'd bet in the 5 weeks of rifle season, well over 100 other people snoop around on it. The posted stuff is stuff that pretty much anyone with a relationship with the landowner similar to mine will get access to as well. So, permission yes, rights no.

How much do I love it? Not sure I can explain, I try and convey it when I talk about my hunting trips or shed hunitng etc. My wife would acuse me of loving it to a point of almost unhealthiness.
How much do i love it, what would I do? HMM tough one to answer. I know this much. I don't love it enough where my family or the well being of my wife and children and our home would ever take a backseat to it. It may seem to them that it does at times but if forced to choose, I'm choosing the blond haired girl I fell in love with and the 2 wonderful little boys she gave me.

It doesn't matter to me how well off everyone is and all that jazz, we are what we are and are people first and foremost despite our bank accounts. That said, I've been a teacher for 9 ys. I don't know what teachers make in the U.S but in Canada they don't get rich. my wife makes about half as much as me. We have a mortgage, student loans, childcare bills, vehicle payments, fuel prices that far exceed the ones you guys can't believe you're paying, a gallon of milk costs $5.50, 12 beer $25.00. I'm not crying the blues, we don't do without anything we need and we are allowed some stuff we could do without but in all honesty, the wolves are as close as they were 9 yrs ago. We try put a bit of money away each month for our kids, some months we can't, some it's more. You guys know how it goes.

If I had to pay to hunt, would I be able to?? Maybe, but not without taking away from my family and that I am not willing to do. If my kids want to play hockey, or take up guitar, or golf, or 4h, you can bet they are going to. They're not going to be wishing they could just so daddy can go hunt whitetails.

I feel blessed to live in a beautiful, game rich area. I feel even more blessed to have a beautiful home and family. There is nothing outside of my family that I love more than watching the sun rise above the pines to the east or set below the spruce in the west. The sound of the geese off the river, I'll carry to my grave with any luck. Hopefully I'll always have the blessing of watching a mature whitetail sneak his way back to the cover, or boldly step into an alfalfa field as the night begins to take it's hold because...man I love those things.

I'm not sure if I've answered your ?'s gundog, I may have rambled a bit much, but dang if I had to choose, I am an avid whitetail deer hunter second to proud father and husband.

To leasers and non leasers alike, be safe this season, good luck, shoot straight and don't let this passion or obsession cloud your view of what is really important in life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The days of sealing the deal with a handshake and a beer are few and far between. Most of us in our 30's and older were raised that way. Now it's a handshake and a check. </div></div>

This is pretty much how it is now even with the guys in their 50's and 60's that farm, they are also asking for money, it comes from the instant gratification that has been pounded into everyone's heads. Most people are looking for a shortcut and leasing land is just another shortcut to that gratification by saving time getting to know the guy who's land your hunting on. Meet him once and just send checks after that. It's a money driven world now and if you don't want to pay up then you will have to sit this one out, me I'll quit hunting and find something else to do that is cheaper.

Double A,

Does the guy that lets you hunt the 400 acres for free know that you are willing to pay to hunt? What happens when he finds that out?

Not trying to whore out land. Sorry if anyone thinks that but thought some of you guys would be interested in the land. And I can't control the dollar amount I was trying to do everyone a favor. No there is nothing in this for me!! Sorry if I mislead you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wegner36</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own the ground I hunt, I don't share with any of you. what is it that I'm doing that is so much better for hunting than someone that leases a property? </div></div>

Wegner,

You are very fortunate to be in the situation you are in. You and your kids have nothing to worry about.

Nothing better is being done but I can see in the future unless you do own or hunt public land a lot of our kids of today will not be hunting.

You know I have no problem with owning or leasing each person has their own reasons but it will restrict what can be hunted in the future. Of course the more leasing the higher the dollar amout (supply and demand). If the price gets up to $200.00 an acre which it can in the future only the select few will do it.
We are making our own problem. IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gundog870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just would like to pose one question. All you anti-leasers out there who are looking at the bigger picture and protecting average joe hunter by not leasing, How many of you would take someone to your spots? Do you have the rights to the ground? By you locking it up it is just the same as leasing correct?? Just that I have the garauntee that I have that farm for a year when I write the check.

Ignorance is bliss. How much do you love something when you wont do what it takes to do it? I would sell my home if I needed to to hunt a year. My friends know it, my family believes it and you better believe I wouldnt bat an eye at putting all available resources on the line to hunt. How much do you love it?? </div></div>

Gundog,

You can come hunt with me. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

As far as loving something so much:

You are still young.

I love it also but with four kids and a wife priorities will change your life also someday. Birthdays, anniversaries, kids football games, mortgages, car payments etc. which will all be heading your way in the future.

You will see. Just enjoy the freedom while you can. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

602_image_09_1_.jpg

nuff said

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
602_image_09_1_.jpg

nuff said </div></div>

Don't read then. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

I just gotta ask, and I'm not pointing to anyone, just asking a question.

If the farmer or landowner called you on the phone on November 5, needing help for the next 3 days doing something on his ground. You have taken vacation for hunting early rut, but only have 4 days to hunt. Would you help that landowner out, or just tell him/her that this is your vacation that you've waited all year for?

I, for one, have done this for one of the landowners that I used to hunt on. I believe friendships and helping others out, by far outway hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I, for one, have done this for one of the landowners that I used to hunt on. I believe friendships and helping others out, by far outway hunting. </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Bottom Line people...........most land owners buy land as an investment....

Most landowners purchase land to turn a profit...

Most of them do this by farming it, renting it out or having it in CRP..

Now if I am a farmer and I have 500 acres and only 300 of that is tillable, then I am really only making money on 300 acres of land.. Well if I leased out the 200 untillable acres, then I am making money on all my land and maximizing my investment..

This is the same reason you see all the acres of CRP disappearing.. If you can make twice as much renting the land out to another farmer or farming it yourself, why would you leave the land in CRP??

Again it is an investment and for a lot of landowners, there only means of income...

Both sides have to be looked at here..

I understand both arguements, but both sides have good points.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If the farmer or landowner called you on the phone on November 5, needing help for the next 3 days doing something on his ground. You have taken vacation for hunting early rut, but only have 4 days to hunt. Would you help that landowner out, or just tell him/her that this is your vacation that you've waited all year for?

I, for one, have done this for one of the landowners that I used to hunt on. I believe friendships and helping others out, by far outway hunting. </div></div>

I am actually going to be helping the farmer do some siding here in the next couple of weeks. I know it is not the rut but still helping him.

Have no problem helping anyone no matter what time of the year it is. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I currently do not lease any land. I did put in a bid for a lease but I wasn't the highest bidder. I was one who said I'd NEVER EVER pay to hunt, i have strong feelings against leasing. Why then did I put in a bid? Because the land available is only available through leasing. It's a unique situation in that it's not owned by a farmer it's owned by the County...but it isn't county conservation land. SO the whole you can't beat them, you have to join them thing came into play. It's land that I've always wanted to have the rights to hunt and I was trying my best to make a dream come true.

Reason two, is pretty simple math for me. The land I tried to lease is 120 acres m/l...the current price of decent ground in my hunting area is nearing $4000/acre so a conservative estimate would be $3000/acre. If I wanted to buy 120 acres at $3000 an acre it would cost me $360,000...quite a bit out of my price range. I know the 120 acres I tried to lease went for $2000. SO lets do this math, shall we. At $2000 per year to have the exclusive rights to hunt 120 acres I would be able to hunt the same land for around 180 years at that price. Given my family history I won't live to be more than 80...so leasing this land would afford me a savings of a few hundred thousand dollars.

Not exactly a bad choice or a rich-man's-option-only when you break it down that way.

I DO NOT agree with where leased hunting is taking us and the land in Iowa...but it's a reality that isn't going away. If the situation is right the only problem I'd have in leasing land would be budgeting for it.

Sure I'm like everyone else, I'd love to own my own land...but that is certainly impractical when looking at acreage prices these days. I try to be sensible, realistic and usually over-evaluate everything before i committ.

I know prices are always subject to be increased from year to year...but I know for sure I'd never be able to own 120 acres for the bargain that leasing the same ground would give me. Perhaps my situation is unique and if so, then so be it. It is what it is.

Top Bottom