Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MN hunters sue Scentlok

Hardcorehunter

UL Shelter/Stove Geek
http://www.startribune.com/outdoors/story/1438361.html
http://www.kare11.com/news/ts_article.aspx?storyid=265815

Snake oil is going to court.
grin.gif

Re: MN hunters sue Scentlok and Scentblocker

Can't say I didn't see it coming. Wheather it works or not the law suit was bound to pop up somewhere along the line.
I personally cannot say that I have been persuaded either way. I own a bunch, but never seen a difference from before I owned it. I am and always have been very in touch with sent elimination and wind direction, so maybe that carries over from before I owned Scent lok.

i think most of it is proper care for the clothes your gonna wear. i could see these fools wearing the stuff for a week straight in their house and then going out and expecting it to work. just more idiots trying a get rich quick scheme

[ QUOTE ]
just more idiots trying a get rich quick scheme

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about the manufacturers of the people who bought it?

We have known for years that the stuff is totally bogus. It is such a huge money maker that no one has been willing to come forward and confront them. It's about time.

im not entirely sure that people on both sides of the spectrum can say for sure if this stuff is for real or not. i believe it is a piece to the puzzle and if it builds your confidence, then use it. but dont tell me it completely eliminates human odor.
im not against it, and i dont believe its the end-all be-all.
so i dont think people are idiots for selling or buying it. there is a place for it, and i feel it can only help if you are very disciplined with your scent!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just more idiots trying a get rich quick scheme

[/ QUOTE ]

We have known for years that the stuff is totally bogus. It is such a huge money maker that no one has been willing to come forward and confront them. It's about time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Most hunters do not read forums or know anything about the science of carbon reactivation. Due to these hunting forums, I became educated and researched all I could about carbon and how to reactivate it. The science of carbon and its' ability to be reactivated in a homeowners' dryer is not what Scentlok claims. Scientific facts on carbon reactivation are not up for debate; science is science. Good for these guys in standing up for hunters and the hunting community. I hate seeing fellow hunters duped or young hunters watching some tv celebrity that has their hunting show paid for by a bogus product, and no other product produced for hunters can be totally proven not to work scientifically as Scentlok. True hunters don't try to screw other hunters with bogus junk imo.

[ QUOTE ]
im not entirely sure that people on both sides of the spectrum can say for sure if this stuff is for real or not. i believe it is a piece to the puzzle and if it builds your confidence, then use it. but dont tell me it completely eliminates human odor.
so i dont think people are idiots for selling or buying it. there is a place for it, and i feel it can only help if you are very disciplined with your scent!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, very well put!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, very well put!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Well put.

It will definitely be interesting to see the outcome. It will be easy to prove that the stuff is phony, however in Theory, it should work. So will the judge go by Theory, or Reality? I see Mythbusters getting involved
shrug[1].gif

Nobody can MAKE you buy any product. How many of you bought a "Deer View Mirror"?
grin.gif
If its sounds to good to be true you can bet your donkey it probably is. Rogain says It can keep me from balding but I'm not about to run out and buy the crap. McDonald's hot coffee didn't burn people, clumsy sue- happy idiots burnt themselves! If you bought something that made you feel more confident about your hunting set up then it was money well spent I guess. Just don't sue somebody because you were dumb enough to buy the magic beans!
893soapbox-thumb[1].gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm talking about both sides. i get so sick of cryer/whiners with lawsuits on every little thing, there are so many things out there that say one thing and do another that is ridiculous, i'm not fond of that either, i guess it's a give and take, some sell bogus crap and get away with it, some have bs lawsuits that get awarded with ungodly sums of money, it would just be nice if men were men, i mean real men. not what society wants people to conform to these days.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm talking about both sides. i get so sick of cryer/whiners with lawsuits on every little thing, there are so many things out there that say one thing and do another that is ridiculous, i'm not fond of that either, i guess it's a give and take, some sell bogus crap and get away with it, some have bs lawsuits that get awarded with ungodly sums of money, it would just be nice if men were men, i mean real men. not what society wants people to conform to these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that. Well put.

I agree with everyone, if it makes you confident, buy it, that is all that really matters. Plus the scentlok clothes are really nice quality. I am sure most of us have some kind of ritual that we all think gives yah a little luck
smile.gif
But that is for a different post for a different time.
smile.gif

I wear scent blocker and Agree with what everyone says! I wear it because I believe it works! I still soak myself down with scent killer and other products that could be B.S. as well. But the truth is, It could all be bull or it could all work. In my opinion, most of it depends on luck and the deers attitude!

Here is a good example! Ever drive by a KFC, or something and almost crash because you wanted to get some SOOOO Bad based of the smell! Then the day after eating it and getting Food poisoning, you drive by again. Same smell, different result and feeling!

I know people who have killed huge deer with no cover scent and while having a chew! Heck I've shot nice deer in Tennis shoes because I was late getting to the stand.
It may help it may not. I like it, and figure if it helps than good, if not, then I guess I just paid more for Plain clothes I would have needed anyways!

Just my two cents.

grin.gif
grin.gif

After all these years of seeing products come and go it always baffles me how little hunters really think. I mean just stop and THINK.

It can easily be scientifically proven that the activated carbon clothing doesn't work. It probably will be proven in court, despite the fact that the manufacturers will have all kinds of "testimonials" from their believers. Because ti will be proven by science, not blind faith. And then you have guys saying, hey if it gives you confidence, go ahead and pay the outrageous prices for it. COME ON! If you have confidence in something that doesn't work, you are making decisions based on your confidence in something that does not work... is that going to increase or decrease your chances of getting a deer? THINK about it. In my ignorance I used to hang my hunting clothes on the clothesline thinking that would help reduce scent. Then 20 years ago as a full time trapper I really started to analyze what we beleive about the way human scent affects animals.

Think about this. Deer are not scared of the scent of gasoline, or diesel, or cigarette smoke, or chewing tobacco, or your clothes, or your laundry detergent, or your deodorant, or the bakery you just came from. They are afraid of HUMAN SCENT! You aren't going to consistently get within range of them if you rely on gimmicks and "confidence" in something that doesn't work!

Think about it. I mean REALLY think about it.

A lot of people got suckered before any of the scientific information on carbon suits started circulating. However I still believe in "buyer beware" and can't fricken stand all these sue happy greedy people we have now a days.

The hunting / shooting industry has had an exorbant amount of crap in their market place over the years. Gimmicks, gimmicks and more gimmicks. Anyone that's been around a short while can see that. Like I said, buyer beware.

[ QUOTE ]
After all these years of seeing products come and go it always baffles me how little hunters really think. I mean just stop and THINK.

It can easily be scientifically proven that the activated carbon clothing doesn't work. It probably will be proven in court, despite the fact that the manufacturers will have all kinds of "testimonials" from their believers. Because ti will be proven by science, not blind faith. And then you have guys saying, hey if it gives you confidence, go ahead and pay the outrageous prices for it. COME ON! If you have confidence in something that doesn't work, you are making decisions based on your confidence in something that does not work... is that going to increase or decrease your chances of getting a deer? THINK about it. In my ignorance I used to hang my hunting clothes on the clothesline thinking that would help reduce scent. Then 20 years ago as a full time trapper I really started to analyze what we beleive about the way human scent affects animals.

Think about this. Deer are not scared of the scent of gasoline, or diesel, or cigarette smoke, or chewing tobacco, or your clothes, or your laundry detergent, or your deodorant, or the bakery you just came from. They are afraid of HUMAN SCENT! You aren't going to consistently get within range of them if you rely on gimmicks and "confidence" in something that doesn't work!

Think about it. I mean REALLY think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very well put. I have read page after page on hunting forums where guys refuse to acknowledge the SCIENTIFIC FACTS regarding carbon and its' ability to be reactivated. They always make statements that it "Gives them confidence" or " The clothes are good quality so who cares whether it works or not". Why should a consumer pay extra for carbon clothing, when science says it can't be reactivated in a homeowners dryer? Imagine all the sweaty guys with cologne on trying those Scentlok clothes on in a sporting goods store, while their nagging perfume laced wife, holding their child with a crappy diaper, watches dad try on the carbon clothing. What little carbon in that clothing is saturated with odor before it even gets to the woods. If a rabbit foot in your pocket gives you confidence, go for it, but please don't tell me that the rabbits foot gave you an edge when it came to hunting whitetails. The info is readily available on carbon and how to reactivate it. If you choose to bury your head in the sand and ignore the facts, then you are a lost cause.

On another note, I don't believe that these guys are out to get rich by suing Scentlok. I think that they are educated men that know the facts on carbon and think that enough is enough when it comes to duping the hunting public.

Top Bottom