Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nonresident Landowners, check out this website.

Re: Nonresident Landowners, check out this website

Iowabowtech,

I think it’s a grave mistake to just dismiss this as a basement run organization, make no mistake there is money behind this and enough money to get a lobbyist to push their agenda at the capitol! Like I said before now is the time to take action. Encourage others to take action. We need to crush this now, in the past most have sat idly by while others fought the battle for them. I think most mean well, but when it comes time for action they let others do it. The IBA isn’t going to be able to hold those that want changes off forever without the everyday hunters help. It all comes down to becoming educated and active. I know 30 hunters here at work, I’m the only IBA member and they just don’t have a clue what we are up against. Over the next few weeks I’ll see how informed I can make them. The real test will be to see what IW members do as individuals. If every member would take the time to educate 5-10 others and they in turn did the same thing. In a short period of time a simple email, phone call or letter to their legislator would go along way in this fight. We have the numbers; we just need to take action.

Sure would be nice to spend a late winter/early spring not having to defend our stance on NR tag increase proposals, just maybe then we could try to lobby to change the regs to help NR landowners get cheaper doe tags so they can manage their properties without going broke buying $100 doe tags. Of course that will never happen if we don’t take a stand now and make they the (Legislature) aware of what we want and what we won’t tolerate. Pretty simple folks, educate yourself then educate others, contact your legislature. The average Whitetail enthusiast hunts year round to be successful now; unfortunately the time has come now that we must also devote that much time to protecting our hunting rights.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it’s a grave mistake to just dismiss this as a basement run organization, make no mistake there is money behind this and enough money to get a lobbyist to push their agenda at the capitol! </div></div>

I would have to agree with Chris on this one. I have met Mickey and know his brother Jason through his occupation in the commercial insurance industry. While I do not agree with their stance on this issue, both are very motivated people and successful individuals in their professional careers. I would imagine that Mickey's contacts in the deer industry are very vast and can/will access the adequate funding necessary to make this organization viable and a challenge to the current regulation structure.

Chris, I will take your words to heart and try to educate my local contacts in the sport.

Many of you have asked what QDMA's stance is on this situation. The Mid Iowa Chapter reached out to corporate earlier this week and received a response late yesterday.

QDMA has reached out to FOI and informed them that they need to remove QDMA from their marketing. We'll keep an eye on this, but we should expect their website to change within the next couple weeks. QDMA has offered to support the research of the facts and mediate if value would be added. It was pointed out that any research would have to be conducted outside any biosness that Dr. Mickey may have due to his relationship with QDMA and I feel they understand that.

The position is not one of taking sides, but let's do the research and determine what is best for the state's deer population. As your only Iowa Chapter, please send me your comments on what you would like from us or QDMA? I will reach out to Randy at IBA and offer our support as well.

I’m not a highly educated person, if you are looking for a deep profound response you looking in the wrong place. When I speak or write it’s from the heart.

Emotions seem to have cooled down a little and everyone has posted their thoughts and as usual there seems to be very little middle ground. Everyone who frequents this site is very passionate about the deer and deer hunting in this state, we are no different than any hunters from any other state.

The IBA had a board meeting last week and FOI was brought up. The non resident landowner issue was discussed and the consensus was; we are very comfortable with the laws on the books and see no reason for any changes. The laws have been in place for several years and much of the land purchased was done so knowing full well what the law was at that time. There have been no sweeping changes made after the fact.

Many non residents and non resi landowners have contacted me asking that we fight any changes to current law. There will always be a few vocal individuals and groups that are looking for financial gain. I just find it sad that money for some individuals is so important that they are willing to dismantle a states management program for the almighty dollar.

I find it interesting that people always want to compare Iowa with other states. Why would Iowa want to be like anyone else? I know Il and Ks has great deer hunting, but ask the residence of those states if they feel like they are being squeezed out. I get emails all the time from residents of Illinois, Minnesota, Kansas and Missouri telling us to never give up the fight to keep the hunting in Iowa as it is today.

I’d like to thank everyone that has supported the IBA and can assure you we will continue to fight for all issues that our membership deem important and necessary. If you feel the same way, we can always use more members and would love to have you sign on.

Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
hoofline.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That was a great post Chris! </div></div>

I must agree with Ghost, very well said Chris! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<span style="color: #CC0000">Please join and support the Iowa Bowhunters Association, united we can make a difference.</span>
<span style="color: #CC0000">For more information about becoming an IBA member&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;</span>Details<span style="color: #CC0000">&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;</span>
398ibalogo_1_.gif

hoofline.gif

</div></div>

ditto

I'm just a guy. One guy. Who happens to be a NR landowner. I bought my piece of heaven in 1998. I lived in Iowa and wanted a place I could hunt forever. It was just a cornfield but I was convinced, if I did things right I could make it a honey hole swarming with all kinds of wildlife.

I put in wetlands, planted about 4,000 trees with a shovel and paid to have 10,000 more planted. Planted clover, sorghum, and with the help of a PH habitat guy, I paid to have 40 acres planted to warm season grasses. Getting better each year.

Cirumstances required that I move out of state. (At the time, I was not aware of the NR issues surrounding deer hunting and tags) I'm not originally from Iowa but I did come to love it. Still do. I was determined that I would still make this piece of land the best it could be. Each spring I loaded up my trailer with a small tractor, bushhog, atv, and gear and drove the 17 hours. I would spend a week planting trees, mowing trails, and contracting with my neighbor to plant foodplots. Then in the fall I would drive again for a week to hunt my special place and see how everything done in the spring would turn out.

When I could hunt a buck I did. When I couldn't I would hunt a doe. Pheasants, ducks, geese, wow, this place has it all.

I did the long drive for two years. I started looking for something closer to my spot. I now only live 5 hours away and travel to Iowa about 15 times a year and do a year round conservation effort. 22 wood duck boxes, 12 goose tubs, 7 acres of food plots, game cams, etc.

I've been strictly a bowhunter for the last 20 years. I love it, it is what I spend all year thinking about. Just like some of you guys. One on one with the deer, 20 yards or less. Nothing better. I put in for the draw and get my tag every three years. I get a doe tag in the other years.

Today, I read Willie Suchy's comments about the NR antlerless tags being all moved to shotgun 1 and 2.

I bowhunt, that is what I do. So now here I sit with this great place that I have carved from a cornfield. NO BOW ALLOWED?

I'm just one guy, and on this Friday the 13th, my passion is turned upside down.

I'm not an outfitter, money is not my object of desire. I'm ok with the regs, but this one does not make sense.

I'm just one guy, I can't change what has occurred but I want you guys to know that it isn't all about outfitters and NR's who come once a year for a week to kill a big buck. I don't know if I'm typical or not for a NR landowner, but I know I'm much different than the NR who doesn't own land or the outfitter who makes money off a lease.

I believe that NR landowners should be able to get doe tags if extras are available in counties that need to have the herd thinned. I believe that a NR landowner should be able to harvest a deer by the weapon of his choice. (I can still get a tag, but I must use a shotgun?). Unbelievable.

I never get into this subject because it is complicated and everyone has a side. I just try to enjoy what I have when I can. But this sharp stick that mister suchy poked me with is just too much and I had to say something.

I'm just one guy.

corygnc

Loc: council bluffs There's 500+ acres along the Iowa River by Tama, Iowa that I am looking at.

Has anyone ever hunted the Iowa River by Tama and if so how is the habitat?

Are there plenty of deer, I've heard the piece is mostly all maples, not many oaks, etc?

I live 3 hours from there and is anyone interested in hunting the farm with me and helping me with food plots, property oversight, etc.?

If have any thoughts reply or call me at 402-880-4779 or email me at [email protected]

Thanks Everyone!
Cory

I would guess Cory as a member of the FOI isnt buying land to hunt just himself....Once again its all about the money. I know one set of stores I am going to tell all my friends and hunting partners to stay away from.

Part of being a Non Resident, regardless of owning land or not, is the fact that you are a non-resident...which means you are NOT allowed the same access to tags that us residents are.

WHY should IOWA change their laws to give Non-Residents the same access to tags (specifically any-sex tags) that us residents do? That's just foolish.

Great thread, I'm off to join the IBA now...thanks for the IBA membership persuasion FOI.

I wanted to point out Tecomates position on this subject. I just watch their program this morning and they had a sit-down discussion at the end. You know like the one where they say high fenced deer should qualify for recognition by P&Y and B&C. Well today I listened to them discuss the destructive controls some states have regarding deer management. Very one sided thinking and not the friends of average Joe hunter in my opinion. It works for me personally in Texas and it should be changed to work for me personally in every other state. It makes me MAD!

Is Jeff Foxworthy on this show? I think he just bought some ground in Iowa in the last year or so. I am sure they would love to get as many hunts in the can from Iowa without having to draw for tags.

Why yes, yes he is. Buy here and accept what you have bought into instead of looking to screw up great state!

Top Bottom