Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public Land Slobs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's coming to the point where a handfull of you are going to have to agree to disagree because posting the same opinion over and over isn't getting anybody anywhere and the back and forth arguing isn't as amusing as it was 3 pages ago.

Back to the original topic, it annoys me to no end to find screw in steps and trash all over the timber from slob hunters.

Well said, Muddy! You all should come out here and see the trash left on National Forests, National Parks, Widlife Refuges, and BLM land by hunters, hikers, meth heads, campers, illegal immigrants, and every other idiot who has no respect for the land or the laws. We always end up cleaning others' mess from our campsite and surrounding area when we take off for a weekend in the forest. Of the human-caused wildfires, the VAST majority of them are started by careless hunters and campers who leave trash laying around next to improperly extinguished wildfires, at least up in these parts. Human-caused wildfires in the mountains and grasslands along the US/Mexico border in southern AZ is a WHOLE other matter. At least be glad you don't have to deal with that mess!

It's coming to the point where a handfull of you are going to have to agree to disagree because posting the same opinion over and over isn't getting anybody anywhere and the back and forth arguing isn't as amusing as it was 3 pages ago.

Back to the original topic, it annoys me to no end to find screw in steps and trash all over the timber from slob hunters.

I agree. Lock this thread, and throw away the key. :rolleyes:

Agree to disagree.

My friend from work fell out of one of our two tree stands we had set up at Pike Run in Muscatine County and broke his back. Lucky he can walk again. I finally got up the energy to get them and they were both gone, like one month after the season. I would like to see them have to be marked somehow, but that can just be removed. If I hunt public again I will probably bring in a climber after preparing a tree and marking it with my gps.

There's no need to lock the thread unless it becomes nasty, which I'm confident it won't. At this point people can hopefully just let the thread rest and sink comfortably to the bottom of the forum.

We call them thieves...if you don't like the stand hanging to long... Remove it and leave it at the tree then...you're taking longer to get on here and complain than what it would take to pull it down. Another victim hit there head on a stand? Tree stand strikes again!! ;) Tree stands 4 whiners 0

I could care less what happens on public land! I don't hunt it! I do walk a little of it on occasion! Most of the deer hunters on public around me go about 1/4 mile from the parking lot and thats it! And if you think most of the trash left on public is left there by deerhunters .......Well Your probably wrong!!!! Ya got, walnut hunters,mushroom hunters,birdwatchers, flower sniffers, and some minie studs taking your 15 year old out to look at the stars!!!! Just saying!! Probably not all left by deer hunters!! :confused:

flugge said:
It is legal to take stands down after season, its in the regs... and the local officer told me that after multiple calls telling him about stands still up a month after season, he said take them down and they are yours...

I don't think it is stated in the hunting regulations or any other Iowa laws that tree stands still on public land after the season are free for the taking. No more so than cars parked in a no parking zone are free for the taking.

i hunt only public land in Iowa and have been truly blessed with some of my best ever hunts and kills. this fall as i was walking along a field edge to get back to my stand i was appalled to find a blind right along the edge of the field...it wasnt finding the blind that made me mad it was the 6 pack of empty bud light cans in it..i dont know who mixes deer hunting with drinking at the same time but hopefully they moved on

Just finally got around to reading this.....too funny. My opinion (like anyone cares) is #1 - follow the rules! Is a treestand gonna hurt a tree? no, not immediately anyway. But the bottom line is, IT'S THE LAW!! Regardless if it's bothering anyone, it needs to come down after season. If you want the law to change, take your argument elsewhere, I guarantee whining on IW will not get it changed. #2 - If a stand is hanging illegally, take it down, report it or just keep it. I would probably just take it down, but I don't see any problem with keeping it. By having left it out there, it's clear the owner doesn't care about it or want it. If you have time to put it up and hunt, you have time to take it down. And the argument about keeping an illegal tree stand being like stealing an illegally parked car.....come on! Is picking up an illegally placed pop can in a ditch and redeeming it stealing too??

Two wrongs don't make a right! Just because some one broke the regulations and left a stand in a tree does not make it right to steal some one else's PROPERTY. Taking something that is not yours is breaking the law ANY way you look at it.

i hunt only public land in Iowa and have been truly blessed with some of my best ever hunts and kills. this fall as i was walking along a field edge to get back to my stand i was appalled to find a blind right along the edge of the field...it wasnt finding the blind that made me mad it was the 6 pack of empty bud light cans in it..i dont know who mixes deer hunting with drinking at the same time but hopefully they moved on

Those darn muzzle loader hunters:way:

LYON said:
Just finally got around to reading this.....too funny. My opinion (like anyone cares) ...

You should have stopped at this point....does an illegally placed can have any value? Other than the 5 cents? If tree stands were a nickel it wouldn't be a problem...

actually I will agree with LYON, simply follow the rules, enough said... end of discussion. Have a great day and enjoy this amazing weather we are having and drink a drink to relax :drink1:

flugge said:
actually I will agree with LYON, simply follow the rules, enough said... end of discussion. Have a great day and enjoy this amazing weather we are having and drink a drink to relax :drink1:

You believe in theft as well?

bowhntin, let it go, you ain't changing their opinions anymore than they are changing yours.

muddy said:
bowhntin, let it go, you ain't changing their opinions anymore than they are changing yours.

Just a little criticism... Can't take it you shouldn't post your opinion... Everyone has an opinion an deserves to share it but in return expect a little criticism...THEFT is not the answer here boys...

Cooter said:
Dude here is the contact numbers for you call them your self and see who is the doing something illegal. The guy leaving the stand up or the guy taking the stand that has been left up.

Give them a call and get back to us cause telling you what the laws are is not sinking in. :rolleyes:

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Law%20Enforcement/dnrlemap.pdf

-}}}---------->

Clearly understand the law...do you know what taking something that has value, that clearly belongs to someone else, meaning it is not yours...means?

Bwwhntin- give it a rest, pretty much all of your posts since you have joined have been here except a handful, obviously this has struck a nerve. The DNR is the LAW. Its in the regs treestands MUST be removed 7 days after season. If the DNR finds out about them, either they take them and auction them off, or they tell you to take them. So is the DNR stealing? Nope, they are simply giving everyone the same opporitunity to hunt. Is it fair that someone can leave there stand up year round in the same spot so no one else can hunt it? Did you know on Public ground that If I beat you to YOUR stand, since its on public I can legally hunt it, and if you harrass me you can get charged and not me. There are a lot of laws and regs and more to it than just being a hunter. RESPECT the PUBLIC ground. Enough said, and like I said before.. Get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom