Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

RUT REPORT

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
I thought is would be nice to have a post to refer to over the next couple weeks.... please indicate activity that you are seeing, time of day, region of Iowa, and weather conditions.

Sat. Oct. 30th: 4 bucks sighted between 1-1:30 pm (1 beautiful 160" 8pt) very windy... Northeast Iowa... also nice buck near dusk chasing doe.

Monday Oct. 31st.. 2 (120" 8pts) cruising around 10am... variable winds... Northeast Iowa... at dusk spotted 150" 8pt. scent checking some does in clover field.

Great Thread,

Friday Oct. 28--- 3 bucks seen total, 1st at 4:15 PM, a 145" 10 pointer checking a scrape, 2nd 125" 8-pointer checking a scrape at 5:30, 3rd 180-190" 10 point working a major scrape and rubline at 6:00

Saturday Oct. 29---- 7:00-9:00 AM, 7 different small bucks (largest 100" 8 pointer) seen chasing does or cruising by themselves. 9:30 AM 145" 10 pointer with a hot doe

Monday Oct. 31--- 3:30PM 120-130" 8 pointer working a rubline just a minute after a rattling session. Was interested in some grunts but never approached

Sunday Oct. 30 3 small bucks working does between 6:30 and 9:00 a.m.
Wife then "needed" to go to a craft show so the hunt was over
frown.gif
Better this weekend than next.
grin.gif

Oct.24-Nov.1
The 24th i went out and seen 7 does and one very small buck. 9:30AM

25. Spooked up 6 does and a Nice 8 point was right behind them. 10:00

Oct-26. Seen only 3 does and no bucks 11:00

Oct-27. Seen 4 does and 2 bucks. One was a small 3 point with one horn and a small spike. 5:00

Oct-28 2 does. 11:45

Oct-29 Seen 1 doe and that was twords dark. 6:00

Oct. 30 saw 3 bucks. One small 8 point. 3 Does. And one spike All between 4:30-6:00

OCt-31 Seen 4 Doe's and the same spike as the 30th

Nov.1 Seen one Doe and One 8 point when i walked in and didnt see a deer after that. Went out around 4:00 and seen 5 does around 5:15-6:00. But no bucks!
confused.gif

Sorry to change the subject Cornfed but you look familiar. Were you the one I sold that Lone Wolf to on Saturday afternoon? In Waukon at Sportsmens Unlimited. I think you mentioned a nice eight you seen that day. If so good luck on tagging one of these northern brutes and stop in when you do. I'd like to take some pictures for the wall...

My job requires that I travel quite a bit around the state in an area between DM to IC, up north to Waterloo and back west to Ames. That's a chunk of central/east-central Iowa there!
Anyhow, I can usually get a good feel for the rut by running down some isolated county roads this time of year. This morning I saw 1 buck south of Ames cruising between timbers in a corn field @ 9:30. It's the first "big" buck I've seen in the daylight this year.
When the chase phase really kicks in I'll see a lot of does running. This is totally non-scientific but it's typically an average of 1 deer per 3 miles travelled...about 20 per hour when running down the highway.

Today I saw exactly 6 deer in a 90 mile trip.

Still early!

NE Iowa
Oct 31st-AM One hunter in the tree that I cleared, changed stand site, no other activity.
PM Windy!!! two 1 1/2 y/o interested in my decoy
Nov 1st Am till 1PM, only had two bucks come in both to rattling, one at 9:30, and One at 10:30, PM windy no deer

Not a lot of rut sign in my areas as compared to past years. However, did locate on scrape about the size of a car on some public ground! Wish I had my camera.

oct 30 no deer in woods all of them by my truck as i was driving home seen buck chasing doe in the field
nov 1, small eight checking scrapes

Nov 1 AM - Saw nothing from my best "rut" stand.

PM - Had a decent 8 (needed another year) under my stand at 3:00. Saw two dinks cruising just before dark and 3 does all alone.

Nov 2 - heading out right now - will let you know.

Fletch

Nov 2. Seen nice 8pt with his nose to the ground at 6:30AM. Had two bucks fighting 60yards from my stand at 7:15AM but couldn't tell how big they were?

In the last 4 days, every buck I have seen was checking or making scrapes! One shooter close to 150 but not close enough. I'm gonna pull out the decoy this weekend in a corn field. I'll keep you all posted.

Nov 2 -Saw two big boys lastnight 5:15pm - one did the snort wheeze (which I had never heard in the wild before) at a smaller buck.

They both checked their scapes and moved on with out offering me a shot.

Also saw 1 fork and 1 basket 8.

Nov. 2 AM until 10:00 I saw 3 bucks, 1 at 7:00 small basket 8, 1 at 7:45 a shooter 130-140" 8 and 1 at 8:38 another shooter 8 in the 140-150" range. All the deer were cruising, and only the last was in shooting range, but he snuck in on me and I couldn't move, which sucked but it was still an exciting hunt.

Also on my way to my hunting area had 8 does cross the road in front of my car in a single file line

Nov 2 AM Had one 2 1/2 year old buck cruising by at 7:45. At 8:15 heard a grunt and a 120" 8 pointer chased a doe under my stand. He did a snort wheeze at a spike and button buck, and then bullied the doe out of sight.

[ QUOTE ]
snort wheeze

[/ QUOTE ] The deer i shot 2 years ago did that. I was shocked.

Nov-2 Went out around 11 and didnt see a thing. I should head out around 8:30 like i use to. The bugs were awefull. Im gonna head out tonight and see if the deer are moving. Its to hot out right now to hunt. It was 80 when i came into town
crazy.gif

Oct. 31st - Afternoon - Saw 3 forks and a young doe, all together, on the way in. As soon as I got settled in a strong 120" 10 point went buy at about 150 yds. cruisin for does. Saw another doe about 30 min before shooting light was over. Fresh scrape about 30 yards from my stand.

Nov 2nd.

While at work watched a buck chasing a doe in the corn field. 250-300yds out we could see rack, nice and wide, appeared thin but at that distance probably not. This was about 7:30AM

Checked a scrape line on the way in at 2 P.M. One was super fresh appeared if it was just freshened up.
Tried rattling and grunting and can estrous. Nada. About 5 P.M. seen two seperate bucks chasing two seperate does. Unsure of size too far out with out binos. Big bodied 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 yr olds. Looked my way when rattling or calling but two occupied with chasing the does around. One set left after about 10 min the other two dinked around 100yds out. Payed no attention to my attempted snort wheeze, just looked then went back to business. Busted me on my attempted sneak out, I'm still hunting them tomorrow just from my climber where they entered the field. Hopefully tomorrow will be a harvest report.

Nov-2 Saw a HUGE 8 Point tonigh. He was about 75 yards away. He was following the fence line. I looked back and all i could see was bright horns. Then he walked on top of the dry river bank. HE WAS HUGE. was a 8 point bug he was tall and big!

Nov 2 - PM Hunt

Hunted with buck decoy - buck scent around decoy.

4:45 - 5 does come into food plot.

4:50-5:30 - 2.5 year old 8 point chased a doe around the woods and into food plot.
After he saw the decoy he came in to look, smelled the area and decided he would lay low and eat the rest of the night in front of my stand.

5:15 fork horn and basket 6 came out together worked scapes and came to look at decoy. They decided to chase each other around and leave all the does in the food plot alone.

Nov-3 Went out to the stand about 2 hours earlier than i usually do. Saw the huge 8 again. About 75 yards away! He didnt hear or notice me when i came in. I got up in the stand, looked to my left and their he was with two doe's! He chased the doe into the evergreens and never came out. After that i saw a small 8, A small 5, And 8 does. Its starting to pick up more and more each day
grin.gif
Tomorrow morning ill be back out their around the same time and see if i can get him to come it!

Top Bottom