Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

size for youthhunters

RichardM

I was just thinking about if you took a kid on a youth hunt to one of your spots and a monster steps out within range would you let them shoot it if the youth hunter was (NOT your kid or close relative). I would have no problem letting a kid shoot a 120 or 130 inch deer but were do you draw the line or do you just sit back and watch the show. To me it depends on the kid i guess and how big the deer is i dont know what would you do.

I want to see you deal with the look that kid gives you when you tell them they can't shoot it. Let the kid shoot, its one of the best hunts you will ever expierence! And you will have just become a lifetime hero to some young hunter.

I can see not taking the neighbor kid to your favorite honey hole, I cant see telling him he cant shoot a deer cause I wanna keep it for myself.

When taking a kid hunting, I believe you let them make the decisions about how it goes...what to shoot, where to sit even sometimes, when to leave, etc...

I believe in a little persuasion /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif but allowing them to take ownership will make them feel like a champ! Great topic...thanks for sharing.

I'm taking my son out next weekend and it's up to him what he shoots or doesn't shoot. I'm not telling him he couldn't shoot something cause it's to big. That's just the luck of the hunter what shows up. Even if it wasn't my son it would be up to them to make the decision.
How would you feel if you sat in a blind or whatever and had a nice buck walk out and you were told no he's to big for you.
Think how you'd feel then multiply that and that's how that kid will feel.
I don't think that is a good way of getting a young kid hooked on hunting.

stuff happens its the whitetail gods who make the decision on who shoots what give a kid a chance we need more young ethical hunters to pass our passion on to. but you could allways pray for buck fever

let the kid hunt. monster buck , luck of the draw. your honey hole ? god`s creation . good deed, happy kid , priceless

I would definately let any kid I took hunting shoot any deer they want too. Besides if they do shoot the monster in your honey hole. Its your scouting and persistants that gave the kid the chance. Should feel just as proud of the deer as the youth shooting it.

You could just give that monster a little wave hello /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif
Just kidding, either let them choose or don't take them to you honey hole. I have taken my daughter and other kids out and try to put them in the BEST position I can to be successful. You can't buy the look in their eyes when they drop their prey, deer, phesant, turkey it doesn't matter. It's ALL GOOD /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

If you have to ask yourself that question in the first place maybe you shouldn't be taking kids out to hunt. That seems like a very selfish thought...your kid or the kid down the street... I think you are really missing the point.

How do you judge a teacher? By the success of their students. Some of my best hunts were when someone else was shooting! Let them shoot.

I knew that this post would stir the pot up a bit but it is something that alot of people would never think about untill it happens if it were my son or just about anyother kid i can think of go ahead and shoot but there is a down side for shooting a really big deer and that is rumor mongers that like nothing more than to accuse your good deed for for something other than what it really is. I have herd it a few times before when a seven yearold shoots a monster deer in the youth season that they didnt really shoot it or the adult was trying to get the deer out so the neighbor could not get it and why put a kid in the middle of something like that and ruin there special hunt. As for the comment of maybe you shouldnt be taking kids hunting in the first place who the hell do you think you are trying to attack my carrecter my post may have come out the wrong way but there is always more than one way to see the situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As for the comment of maybe you shouldnt be taking kids hunting in the first place who the hell do you think you are trying to attack my carrecter my post may have come out the wrong way but there is always more than one way to see the situation. </div></div>

I stand by my previous post...and I understand there are diffrent ways to each situation, but explain how you tell a young hunter that a deer is to big for him or her to harvest..a young hunter you are supposed to be mentoring and teaching the right way to hunt...the ethical way...not trying to attack your "character" so lets not make this a personal attack...to good of a web site for that...but I am curious to hear your side.

Well there is one thing that we do agree on and that is i shouldnt be giving kids spelling lessons. I personally could not tell a kid that he or she cant shoot a deer becuse of its size and the only reason i bruoght it up in the first place is that last year i took this great kid out hunting and he got his first deer and i couldnt have been any prouder of him if he was my own kid the problem is his mother is a real piece of work and i know that if he shot a really big deer witch in most cases means big money that she would have sold it in a heartbeat and were would that leave the kid maybe a new bike or something i guess not all people are that way and i cant protect anyone from things that are out of my hands. I think we are on the same page as far as youthhunting is a great way to get kids into hunting and show them there is something else to do with there time and try to pass on something good that might change the way they see the world. I know that this is not the case for most people and the kids can enjoy the deer they shoot for the rest of there lives but for some they can enjoy it till the check is in hand and its sad but thats just the way it is. I see what you are trying to say and i agree with you i hope you see were im comming from i dont think a kid should miss out on hunting becuse his parents are complete loosers but i dont think that they all need to shot giant deer to have a great hunt.

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif Good luck if you will be taking a young hunter out next weekend. I'll be out with my 10 year old son...can't wait

I think everything happens for a reason and if a young hunter is lucky enough to have a once in a life time deer step out and give him a shot, bombs away!!!!

If I took someone elses kid out, I would let them shoot anything as long as they had taken a deer sucessfully previously..

I wouldn't let a total rookie shoot at a big buck for their first deer..

The same will go for my own kids....they will harvest a doe for their first deer and then they get to shoot a buck...

Does are usually easier to come by, so they will more then likely give them a better chance to make a good shot on their first deer..

Once they knock that first one down, then they can shoot whatever walks into range..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nacho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I took someone elses kid out, I would let them shoot anything as long as they had taken a deer sucessfully previously..

I wouldn't let a total rookie shoot at a big buck for their first deer..

The same will go for my own kids....they will harvest a doe for their first deer and then they get to shoot a buck...

Does are usually easier to come by, so they will more then likely give them a better chance to make a good shot on their first deer..

Once they knock that first one down, then they can shoot whatever walks into range.. </div></div>

I don't understand the thinking behind this at all.

Top Bottom