Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

size for youthhunters

Nacho, I don't know you from Adam, but I'm guessing you don't have children and if you do they aren't walking yet??? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

listen guys........I am not taking anything away from the kids first experience here....

I am adding to the experience by giving them a good opportunity to make a clean kill and jump start their love for the outdoors..

I know most of you will never change your minds on this, as I never will.. This is how I was raised and how I will raise my kids...

When I shot my first buck I appreciated that so much due to the fact I had to prove that I cold shoot a deer before I could shoot one... My dad taught me to make clean kills and that the experience is what it is all about...

Basically it is better to shoot a Doe and work hard at it then to shoot a 150 class buck out the truck window...

Those are the values my kids will have...

I will leave it at that...

Good hunting to everyone...

I read Bobby Worthington's book earlier this year. He set his kids up in places where he thought that they WOULDN'T see any deer so that when they did, they would appreciate it more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nacho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I kill Deer, not Mamas and Daddys............. That is what I will teach my kids...</div></div>

I think that is a good thing to teach them.... except you are teaching them to kill a doe before a buck. Am I missing the contradiction?

Ok, i have been doing some thinking about this topic and have even talked to a close friend of mine and he brought up some good points.

My passion is not pulling the trigger, its about sharing the experiences out in the woods with my best friends. My wife, Kathry, and hopefully, and Lord-willing, my son, THA5. and Nacho...... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

what i dont want is for my son to not appreciate the outdoors. what that means for me is that i need to include him in every aspect of the hunt, so he understands that there is work that goes into a hunt.
-Setting up and checking trail cameras, i want him to be excited to veiw the card for the first time like i do, sorta like. Christmas.
-i cant wait to have him on my heels walking through the steamy summer timber as we set up treestands, i cant wait for the times when im looking down and seeing him trimming branches that dont necessarily need to be trimmed.
-i cant wait for me and my little man watching deer movies anxiously awaiting the approaching season, and playing 20 questions with him as we watch.
-i cant wait for the tap on my shoulder as he is up before me, wanting me to get my lazy butt up outta bed.
-i cant wait to tie his boots and button up his shirt for him as we embark on his first time to the woods as the hunter.
-i cant wait to see the look on his face when he smokes that first deer..... whatever it may be.
-i cant wait to wipe the tears of my face as i witness him enjoy something that is a lifestyle for me and a passion that defines me.

this is why i love this site, i was able to read, and re-read many of the opinions posted and ideas shared and was able to learn from this. one thing that continues to stand out in my mind is the comment - "I can't imagine looking in my son's eyes and telling him 'no' on a buck because it was too large." i guess that would break my heart.

so will i allow it, and love it no matter what it is. if he gets the "illness" that plagues us all each and every August, i dont think what gets shot will be the issue. the issue is sharing that experience with some one i love 'deerly' (sorry about the pun /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

if hunting turns out to not be my boys thing, so be it! ill support him in his endeavours no matter the road he chooses.

each one of us has an opinion on this topic as it is a case by case basis, and no one can tell another man how to raise his children, or how to introduce them to hunting. how we introduce the sport to them is the challenge. whatever is growing out of the deer's head at the time is going to be the last thing on my mind as Tommy pulls the trigger for the first time. There is not a "blanket answer" that covers everything....

I think what Nacho is implying is that in his area, (i know cause i have witnessed it) the vast majority of hunters in ND shoot for the sheer thrill of killing and there is no passion involved. and yes, the truck window makes a great gun rest for these guys..... rather a chance to hang horns on the garage wall and do nothing more than brag about it. He wants his future kids to love the sport as he has grown to love it, and not be above killing slick heads.

I get it!

I may revoke my statement that my son will be restricted to a certian deer, as my prayer for him is to see WHY i love it so much, and i can only hope he is instilled with the same passion and respect for the animal that haunts my dreams......

i cant wait for those days!

nothin' but love!

Nice post Thomas, that's what i love about this site. We can have a debate about a topic that we feel strongly about but it doesn't turn ugly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sorry bushman, but I'm still ugly. </div></div>

aint that the truth

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sorry bushman, but I'm still ugly.</div></div>

But you have a nice personality!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I think what Nacho is implying is that in his area, (i know cause i have witnessed it) the vast majority of hunters in ND shoot for the sheer thrill of killing and there is no passion involved. and yes, the truck window makes a great gun rest for these guys..... rather a chance to hang horns on the garage wall and do nothing more than brag about it. He wants his future kids to love the sport as he has grown to love it, and not be above killing slick heads.

</div></div>

I hear ya on that one and I can see where he is coming from - I've seen the same thing up there and have heard my friends in ND talk the exact way you describe - most of them are lucky if the buck ever makes it to the garage wall from the pile in the corner - definetely a different mentality up there when speaking about gun season.

No worries - after this weekend there will be a ton of new harvest pics on the site from all the youngins out there so I'm sure the mood will change around here. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sorry bushman, but I'm still ugly. </div></div>

The determining factor in that statement Nanny is if you are a Hawk fan or a Cyclone.........I know I'm opening up a can after this weekend but I still stand by the clones.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-i cant wait for the tap on my shoulder as he is up before me, wanting me to get my lazy butt up outta bed.

I can see that happening....... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

-i cant wait to tie his boots and button up his shirt for him as we embark on his first time to the woods as the hunter.
</div></div>

Did you finally learn this much needed skill? Wives are such wonderful teachers arean't they! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Just messing with ya Tom. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I missed last years hunting season so this year is my daughters first year to be the deer "hunter". She has helped me many times setting stands, checking and moving trailcams and all the other "pre-season" stuff. She has also been pheasant hunting with me since she was about 5 and even carried her BB gun just so she had a gun too. There is no way in heck that I would tell her she hasn't "earned" the right to shoot a buck. She knows that I shoot alot more does then bucks, she even tells Mom that "you can't eat horns". The only "rule" I have is that it has to be a mature deer, no spots, no spikes.

Beyond all this....I'm a push over when it comes to my baby girl, and I have a hard time telling her no. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd rather drive to Ames than Iowa City, if that tells you anything. </div></div>
It tells me you don't like the price of gas. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd rather drive to Ames than Iowa City, if that tells you anything. </div></div>

It just tells me that you want to fit in with the rest of the ugly people in Ames... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

HedgeRow9-5-08318.jpg

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif So? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

That was a pretty good burn........punk.

Ghost,

It is crazy how much you and your son look alike in those pics!! Congrats!!

I think whatever deer the kid wants to shoot, that is the one they should shoot. What I hate seeing is these QDMers that won't let a kid shoot a buck because it is a "Up and Comer". I think that is ridiculous. Let the kids shoot, get them addicted. Killing big bucks comes with age and experience or better said the desire to hunt something more challenging. It really doesn't matter the size of the deer, the kids look at them the same way.

I think alot of people get bent out of shape when a kid goes out and whacks a giant and they have hunted for 15+ years and never shot anything comparable. The kid may not know what he shot, but I bet the smile on their face is just as big as a veteran hunters smile.

Either way I like the views of this post. If you don't want the kid to shoot a big one, and you know how to hunt, set them up so they don't, because lets be honest, the kid is most likely not setting theirselves up in the first place. Of course if the kid started when they are 9 by the time they are 15, they should know what a good spot looks like /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom