Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

size for youthhunters

I prefer not to comment on some of the opinions in this post.

The "rules" for me and my kids are very strict.....

Rule #1 - Lets have a great time hunting together and you decide what deer you want to shoot. Whatever you shoot, be proud of it and give thanks for the opportunity.

Rule #2 - Go back to rule #1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer not to comment on some of the opinions in this post.

Rule #1 - Lets have a great time hunting together and you decide what deer you want to shoot. Whatever you shoot, be proud of it and give thanks for the opportunity.

Rule #2 - Go back to rule #1 </div></div>

Pretty much sums it up right there!

I really don't understand your thinking Nacho. If you take a kid hunting, and they see a deer they want to harvest, why not let them?

Remember that there are lots of people who don't take anyone out hunting period- let's make it easier to do. I guess for me, if all of you who have posted take kids out and some DO or DON'T let them shoot certain deer, I guess personally, I DON'T CARE as long as people are taking the kids out. One could easily argue either side here, one side could say that "off-limits" deer teaches manangement at an early age, the OTHER SIDE could say- shoot anything that makes the kid happy and get into hunting.

I don't think what you choose to let them shoot is 1/100th as important as the fact that you took them out and let them experience hunting. I totally understand the argument BUT if we are arguing about what kids are shooting BECAUSE all of us have this to think about BECAUSE we are all taking kids out- great problem. Let's make sure we are all doing something to make sure we are getting kids out there - whether we choose to be picky on what they shoot OR shoot whatever for a 1st deer.

I honestly don't think you can knock either side if they are bringing kids hunting- for instance- if I discouraged hunters from limiting the kids SO the hunter adults decided to "bag bringing them" because they thought it would hurt area, hurt management (maybe they are hunting heavily managed land in their mind) or whatever- that's not what we are trying to do here. Whatever gets people to bring kids out, who cares what their thought process is once they are out either way.

IT AIN'T ABOUT YOOOUUU! It's about getting a young person to enjoy the outdoors and enjoy the experience of hunting...
Not allowing them a chance at a big buck would probably turn them off, if not piss them off. Let em shoot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Single Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IT AIN'T ABOUT YOOOUUU!</div></div>

EXACTLY... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

what about spoiling them? or giving them an unrealistic view of hunting by allowing them to shoot a big buck right out of the gate......?

do you think their appreciation for the sport will dwindle as a result of "peaking" immediately? could this not instill longterm participation because it was "easy"????

i dont know, im no expert
what are your thoughts on that?

The first deer I ever shot when I was 13 is still my biggest buck to this day. It did not spoil me or turn me off in any way. If anything, it made me want to get out even more the next year to try and better my previous kill. IMO there is absolutely no negative side to letting a youth shoot a big buck on their first time out. I think those that say there is, are either jealous that they didn't get to harvest the animal, or they are just plain greedy. Either way, it all comes down to what Single Coyote said, "IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU!"

My first deer was a Doe and I was happy to take it...

I never expected to take a buck for my first deer and I was very proud of that first Doe..

My wife shot a doe for her first deer as well and she was happy that she got to shoot a doe first... She herself said that she wanted to get a notch on her belt before trying for a buck..The next year she got a bigger buck then I have ever shot...I am still very proud of her for that..She proved to me that she could handle the pressure and make good clean kills...Now she has bragging right in our house and I couldn't be happier...

I got my first Muzzleloader buck tag this year and I plan to use it to fill my antlerless tag during the rifle season before I hunt a buck with it... I want to get a kill with it before I try to go after a trophy buck...It gives a hunter a lot more confidence to have a notch on their belt before they go after a buck...

Having your kid shoot a 150 inch buck for their first deer makes their expectations unrealistic and it teaches them that bucks are all that matters... Teaching kids that it is the hunt that is the most important, not a set of antlers is my first reason for having them shoot a Doe... Does almost always offer better shots for beginners and usually go down a lot easier then a buck.. I would hate to have my kid wound a deer and loose it for their first one...I know it is part of hunting, but that would not be a good way to start them out..

I like to shoot deer, I don't care if they are does or bucks...That is the way I want my kids to be raised...It doesn't matter what you harvest but that you get to go hunting in the first place...

The only requirements that my son will have (in a few years) is:
1. SAFETY - Handle your weapon in a safe manner.
2. PRACTICE with your weapon - know your effective range.
3. HAVE FUN! - THATS WHY WE DO IT!

If you are thoughtful enough to take a youth hunting, then you ought to be cool enough to let them enjoy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like to shoot deer, I don't care if they are does or bucks...It doesn't matter what you harvest but that you get to go hunting in the first place...</div></div>

There...you said it yourself! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I prefer not to comment on some of the opinions in this post.

Rule #2 - Go back to rule #1

</div></div>

Exactly!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

"No son, you can't shoot that buck, it is way to big, I don't want you to be spoiled"

Yeah, right...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having your kid shoot a 150 inch buck for their first deer makes their expectations unrealistic and it teaches them that bucks are all that matters... Teaching kids that it is the hunt that is the most important, not a set of antlers is my first reason for having them shoot a Doe... Does almost always offer better shots for beginners and usually go down a lot easier then a buck.. I would hate to have my kid wound a deer and loose it for their first one...I know it is part of hunting, but that would not be a good way to start them out.. </div></div>

Teaching your children that the hunt is the most important thing should be done well in advance of their first youth hunt experience.

It could be their only opportunity for a big buck they ever have. All you can do is light the fire, they have to have the passion and keep it going. I highly doubt you will tell your child he/she can't shoot a large antlered deer should one present the first/best shot. I don't know if you have children but I can tell you my experience as a parent, you have a vision of how certain things will play out and what your reaction will be but it doesn't happen that way. Chances are a big buck won't present a shot when my son, daughter, nephew, ect go on their first youth hunt but you can bet if I am in the blind/stand I am absolutely not going to tell them what they can/can not shoot. Maybe when to shoot but not what to shoot. I don't want that hanging over my head that I took a opportunity away from them to shoot a mature buck. My kids have been with me enough in the field to know that it isn't that easy. I try to create opportunities not dictate them.

Just another view from the bleachers. I understand where you are coming from and respect your opinion but don't agree... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I think I can speak for any hunter in saying that we all get excited to see a mature buck in the field.

If you let your son/daughter shoot that big deer when you are with them, and they can witness the excitement you get from it, it will only fuel the fire in my opinion. What better way to get a kid pumped up about hunting than letting experience something you rarely get to experience and having them witness the excitement you get out of it.

If you can't get excited about a big buck unless you are the one that gets to shoot it, then you greedy. Plain as that.

That is why my kids will have an antlerless only tag for their first tag...Then you don't have to worry about telling them they can't shoot a big buck....they will know they can't before they go out..

I stick by my opinion 100%...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

"No son, you can't shoot that buck, it is way to big, I don't want you to be spoiled"

Yeah, right... </div></div>

Hey son, you want to shoot a doe this year to help with management? No Dad, Does are for wussies, men only shoot big bucks not wussie does...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nacho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is why my kids will have an antlerless only tag for their first tag...Then you don't have to worry about telling them they can't shoot a big buck....they will know they can't before they go out..

I stick by my opinion 100%... </div></div>

I'm with Nacho on this one......
and that DOES NOT make me a poor father for teaching my son the importance of earning a buck, as my father did me! I worked VERY had to get to where im at now in my career as a deer hunter, and that is not because i was given free-be's. and i appreciate and give thanks for every animal i kill!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want my son to appreciate his opportunities and share my passion. i will enjoy his look of pure excitement when he downs his first "slicky"

as Limb said, but in return. i can appreciate you opinion and choice to have your son or daughter shoot whatever, but i respectfully disagree!

So when your sons reach dating age I can see you saying " Don't date her boy, shes to pretty! Start out with an ugly one and work your way up. You don't deserve a hottie just yet!" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I'm kidding of course but I still can't wrap my head around that kind of logic. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif Making sure a young hunter is a proficient marksman BEFORE the hunt should lay to rest any doubts about their ability to make a clean shot on ANY animal. One more, would you ask your son to loose his first pee-wee football game so he doesn't expect to win every time? You'd hate to ruin him. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Thomas...quit yelling...I can hear you just fine and good luck with your "Deer Hunting Career".

Also, for the record, my two kids have killed 9 does and 0 bucks.....but not because I dictated a "doe only" hunt.

There is no right or wrong answer on how to raise your children to become great Outdoorsman.

Some of us dream of it, and some of us did it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom