Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

size for youthhunters

"career" was a bad word to define the last 16 years i have spent in the woods chasing these critters professionally??

and you havent heard "yelling" yet Kent /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

let me rephrase for you 'simpletons'.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

"worked VERY had to get to where im at now as a devoted deer hunter"

Also, it is easy to say you will let your kids shoot whatever if they had not had the opportunity to shoot a big buck...

It would be like telling my kid he could date a super model if he wanted to, but if he has never had the opportunity why tell him that???

My son has killed three doe in the past. I would have let him take what ever he wanted to. My first deer was my biggest and I have been after one bigger every year. It just makes me hunt harder. I don't normally post pictures but this is a deer that is directly under my son's treestand. This is his target buck. He is 12 years old. I was going to let him use his bow this year during youth season but since I seen this on the trail camera, I told him he is using his shotgun.

SUNP0078.jpg

in all honesty, i hope he whacks him!!!

i will always celebrate success with any youth, but for me and my son, his first tag will be a doe tag. after that, the sky is the limit.

good luck!

I'm taking some kids hunting this weekend, and really don't give a crap what they shoot. If a 200 inch buck comes in, I definitly not going to tell them they can't shoot it, because they haven't "earned" their doe tag yet. Have I shot a 200" deer? NOPE, probably not going to this year either, or next for that matter. Still not going to tell a youth that they can't.

I respect your opinion Nacho, I'm just trying to understand it. So basically, they have to earn the right to kill antlers? Would you let them shoot a button buck?

Also, how would a kid or first time hunter feel if a doe walks in with 2 little ones at her side and the youth hunter shoots the "mamma"? I would rather them kill a 45 inch buck than a doe sporting two spotted ones at her side, UNLESS, they understand the management and the reason that female deer need to be killed.

If your kid doesn't understand why Does need to be killed and that it is ok to shoot one even if it has fawns then they shouldn't be hunting...

If your kid doesn't want to shoot the "mama" then maybe they shouldn't be hunting...

I will teach my kids that hunting is conservation and in order to conserve the species Does need to be harvested..

If they have a hard time killing a "mama", wouldn't they have just as hard of time killing a "daddy"?

I kill Deer, not Mamas and Daddys............. That is what I will teach my kids...

And since when are there spotted fawns running around in October??? Not up here there isn't....

A buck is the trophy of the deer hunting world...it haunts our dreams to kill a big one...

Trophys need to be earned to be appreciated...

I guess I'll drop out of this one, one of the youths we are taking out is just now getting into hunting. She is a young girl, and understand alot of things, but she is still a KID.
She will be the one to make the call on what she shoots, and we will be there to make sure the shot is at a good angle, ect..

And yes at the "range" she is deadly, but has never havested an animal.

Youth season is this weekend SEPTEMBER 20. Looks like they still have spots to me.
PondLevi9-14-08275.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having your kid shoot a 150 inch buck for their first deer makes their expectations unrealistic and it teaches them that bucks are all that matters... Teaching kids that it is the hunt that is the most important, not a set of antlers is my first reason for having them shoot a Doe </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A buck is the trophy of the deer hunting world...it haunts our dreams to kill a big one...

Trophys need to be earned to be appreciated... </div></div>

Josh,
Are there two different people that have your user name?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nacho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Trophys need to be earned to be appreciated... </div></div>

I was going to stay out of this one until this - you have gotta be shittin me Nacho. That is the biggest bunch of word vomit I've ever heard. I shot a 170" 16 point buck when I was 15 years old - I'm not going to lie - it was the first buck I ever saw in the woods deer hunting and I got DAMN lucky. Of anything I've killed that TROPHY is more appreciated than ANYTHING I have ever shot because of the circumstances surrounding that hunt. From that day forward I have been OBSESSED with the outdoors, it didn't make me think for one minute that I was always going to get a buck that big - the man that took me when I shot that buck still tells the story of my eyes as big as softballs when I ran to tell him what I'd just shot - I used my grandpas 60 year old Stevens pump shotgun that didn't even have a bead on the end of it to kill that buck and that alone means more to me than anything I've shot since then. I have appreciated that buck and that hunt for 17 years - did I earn that buck - hell no, I got lucky - do I appreciate it that someone took me hunting because my dad didnt, you can bet your ass. I've always appreciated your posts and never had an issue with you, but on this one - get over yourself.

This is my last post here...and trust me, I'm not taking any of this personal. Matter of fact, I have been laughing while reading most of this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trophys need to be earned to be appreciated...</div></div>

In 1979 when I started deer hunting, shooting does was considered a very bad thing. Almost 95 percent of all tags issued in Iowa were "Buck Only" tags.

Do you really think that because I didn't shoot a doe first that I didn't appreciate my first deer?

Do you really think a kid will somehow be ruined as a hunter if he shoots buck first?

Wipe the milk off your lips and think about it people.

Kids will learn more from your attitude and your respect for the outdoors than anything.

Create the highest percentage opportuntity for your children to be sucessful and to have a positive first deer hunting experience.

First1.jpg

837gabefirst.jpg

WTF????

I don't see what you are trying to say????

Bucks are trophys and need to be earned and the hunt is the most important thing not the set of antlers....

Once a hunter has earned the right to hunt a buck then they will appreciate the harvest that much more..

Everyone dreams of big bucks.....what is your point???

Of anything I've killed that TROPHY is more appreciated than ANYTHING I have ever shot because of the circumstances surrounding that hunt.

Exactly my point......It was the hunt that you remember, not the buck you killed... So why would it matter if it was a Doe you shot instead?????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nacho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WTF????

I don't see what you are trying to say????

Bucks are trophys and need to be earned and the hunt is the most important thing not the set of antlers....

Once a hunter has earned the right to hunt a buck then they will appreciate the harvest that much more..

Everyone dreams of big bucks.....what is your point???

</div></div>

If you were talking to me do you seriously need me to explain my point to you?

So to a 10 year old kid a doe won't be a trophy?

So I didn't earn the right to hunt a buck when I was 15 so my level of appreciation for it should be lower than what it is? For the love of God Nacho.

Yes, everyone dreams of big bucks, whether they shoot one for their first deer or not - that is the POINT!

Ghost - nice post man...I love that pic of you.

Kids will learn more from your attitude and your respect for the outdoors than anything.

Your right they will.............

That is why I know my kids will be raised right, because I will make dang sure they learn things that are right..

Wipe the milk off your lips and think about it people.

Listen to your own advice...........

Dang Kent 1979, your gettin old /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Just joking bud, you look like a 25 year old.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nacho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of anything I've killed that TROPHY is more appreciated than ANYTHING I have ever shot because of the circumstances surrounding that hunt.

Exactly my point......It was the hunt that you remember, not the buck you killed... So why would it matter if it was a Doe you shot instead????? </div></div>

Do you honestly believe what you are writing?

Nope, I don't remember the 170" deer on my wall at all, don't appreciate it one bit, and should have passed on him to "earn" the right to shoot a TROPHY.

The 170" buck magnified the whole experience 10 fold - is that something you want to take away from a youth on their first time out?

I make my little guy eat his veggies before he can have a cookie.
Yeah thats right, I make him EARN it.

I'll hopefully teach him right from wrong and how to EARN respect.

Maybe when he gets a little older we'll talk about saving for a house and EARNING for a living.

The conversation we probably won't have, will be the one that talks about EARNING A DEER!

The idea is to present the outdoors to them and let them enjoy it, with the hopes that they will appreciate nature and the fun that it has to offer.

Tell me again... what ecactly is wrong with your son/daughter harvesting a big one right out of the gates... and while your at it explain to me the basics of quantum physics.

Get real.

Nacho,

I honestly deer hunt for the love of the outdoors and the thrill of the hunt. If I happen to take a trophy that's just gravy but it's not what i seek. I seek the expereince. The hunt is what i crave. By not alowing a kid to take a "trophy" as a first deer you are putting a bunch of bones on a pedistal. This is completely backwards in my opinion. I love big racks as much as the next guy but i don't lust after them. I don't think a kid needs to earn the right to shoot a buck (unless you are in an earn a buck zone.) The philosphy just seems out of line. One of the best hunting memories was my dad, shooting a button buck, with a hawkin that i put my blood sweat and tears into building. It didn't matter that it was a button buck. What mattered was the expereince. That's just my thoughts, i know i'm not going to sway yours.

THe other issue i have is denying your child. I can tell you with 110% certainty that if one of my little girls looked up at me and said "daddy, can i shoot that one?" There is no way on earth that i would be able to deny my little girl, both as a hunter and a father. I know that harvest would just fuel her love for the outdoors.

Ghost - I love that picture, you have to post that next to gabes 1st harvest photo!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nacho,

By not alowing a kid to take a "trophy" as a first deer you are putting a bunch of bones on a pedistal. This is completely backwards in my opinion.
</div></div>

My thoughts exactly.

Top Bottom