Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Special Season Reality......

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
Ok guys and gals....I have heard it from the Horses Mouth!! this is prlly giong to happen!!! Unless we speak up!!!

it is time to actually pick up your phone and make a phone call voicing your opinion.....

This Special Extension for Shotgun hunters is up before a board of decision makers tomorrow!! So today is the last day to share opinions!

This thing is definately a strong possiblity, however, not set in stone yet!!

here are the facts...

1st or 2nd season shotgunners who did not fill tags will be allowed to hunt December 21st-23rd with shotguns on an antlerless only hunt.

they feel the time frame of this season is important, because the shotgun "momentum" is still rolling and people being off for the holidays will increase the number of hunters in the woods...
the reason to expand the dates is they are off schedule by 10000 deer!!!! and that looks bad to the State Legislature, and we do not want them taking control of deer management in Iowa!!!!

My personal reason to why this is a bad call,
I late muzz hunt, and i wait all year to hunt with a muzzleloader for 3 weekends of the late season. The Shotgunners, whom i have no problem with, already had their chance. the state does not guarante a deer, they guarante a hunt. so i feel this is unfair and will push back the pattern deer will return to after the forces of shotgun drives. i can assure you, the SG hunters who have tags left to fill will be out on a mission trying to fill the remaining tags for all their are worth....thus using drives to fill the tags and pushing back the dates on patternable deer......

that will have negative impacts on the late muzz season and all its hunters, as most of them hunt late season patterns, not taking advantage of deer drives. Having the deer spooky will prevent lots of success for Iowa's Late muzz hunters!!

I am very against this season extension! but offer this alternative, rather than messing up the late muzz hunters, who have traditionally only had a few weekends to make things work, Validate the unfilled shotgun tags for the late season January Antlerless season!!

Here is the number to call:
515-281-5918 (DNR Help Desk)
when your call is answered, let them know you wish to voice your opinion on the potential of this extended December ShotGun season. they will then transfer you to someone with the Iowa Wildlife Bureau, then RESPECTFULLY give your thoughts on either the voice mail or to him in person, if he answers.

Do not get pissed, as it is not ultimately up to him, be respectful and share your opinion as your opinion. They need to hear from us as we are the ones who are affected!!

Please take the time to do this, it is your duty as an Iowa Resident!!

If email is your thing, PM me and ill get you an email to someone who is directly involved!

Good Luck and please speak your opinion!! things dont change if you arent willing to fight!!!!

your calls and opinions are being counted, if you think this season would be better suited during the late Jan. antlerless season....tell them....
i was caller # 23 with that opinion, the more the better!!!

I called and they gave me an email address to send my opinions to cuz they could field all of the calls they were getting. Keep on calling and emailing!

keep it up fellas.....you opinions will be counted!!

(Thumbs Up Graemlin)

I am gonna start calling in all my unfilled antlerless doe tags, maybe that will help bring the quota up.

I am begging you guys, please be supportive of this special hunt. I didn't get a single doe this year, and having a second chance would mean the world to me.

does somebody want to post a poll about this so we can get an idea?

Greg,
Support those tags being valid during the late season antlerless in January, this way nobody looses!!

this season is a bad thing for the guys who LM hunt,

I say this respectfully, and know i mean nothing personal by this:

you opted to buy Shotgun season tags, knowing you could have watched the weather prior to purchasing your tags, which would have allow you to wait for more favorable hunting conditions, unfortunately your tags went unfilled, that was your choice!

it is not fair to the LM Hunters that we should have to share our limited time with Shotgun hunters because they did not fill tags, or to increase the state's harvest numbers.

Guys

Here is the real deal, Just spent over 30 mins with Jeff J from IDNR! This season has absolutely nothing to do with the TOTAL DEER HARVEST Quotas! But it Kind of does. This is a large political item! The deer harvests for gun seasons were down because of weather(so they claim) and legislators are putting a ton of pressure on DNR to fix the numbers. They are not going to allow bow tags to be used, they are just going to use Gun tags.Reason Bow tags are not useable was because the "weather didn't effect Bow season"

Here is what it is breaking down too! DNR is in danger of losing control of managing the iowa deer herd. If this happens and it goes to outside control, the flood gates of NR will be opened and Iowa soon becomes IL!

Here is the main point I gathered, this "extra" season is going to happen! But here is where we need to come together. I was the 34th person to speak to Jeff. 4 people have voted for screw it, they didn't fill their tags, tough luck! 4 people called in support of the season and 26 people have voted for having the season as part of the Jan antlerless season!! I am fine with the season and the Idea, and want the DNR to keep control, but lets pool together and let Bow season and Muzz happen and then hold the season in Jan!

They feel they would get better results if it was held in December! Guys, if you want this changed pick up the phone or get typing.. Vote for Jan!! That season is in place already, why not use it!!! They are going to have the season guys, it is when that we have a chance at!! Choose you battles!! This is one I can live with!!

I know we will here the Shed bucks getting shot theory and I agree, but we can't have it all to ourselves ever. We are going to give a little and they are too! Hopefully!!

Sorry to ramble!!!

P.S. I was very impressed with Jeff and he answered my concerns honestly and respectfully!!! They can be our allies!!!

Assume that since this is during the second bow season that we are still allowed to bow hunt at this time?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Assume that since this is during the second bow season that we are still allowed to bow hunt at this time? </div></div>

Yup!!

That would be a sad day when our very own DNR loses control of our deer herd! That's just what we need, a bunch of legislatures, who most know nothing about our deer herd, but instead only listen to the Iowa Farm Bureau, in control of major decisions affecting deer hunting regulations!

Does this actually seem like a real threat to happen?

I'm not familiar with the situation, so I was just wondering if this has been a common occurence in other states?

This is only going to get worse every year. Greed makes smart men do dumb things!

I think the numbers will win. # of unfilled tags,# of late season muzzy hunters. # BELOW qouta in harvested deer.Which # will be best for the state long term in the controling our deer population.How will OUR hunting be long term if they let more nonres. hunters come in to control OUR deer population?

I like late Jan. season idea, but i don't think people will spend the gas money to drive to Southern Iowa to hunt does.It's Christmas time.$$$$$

LONG TERM IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN JUST ONE SEASON!

Glad i don't have to make the decision. One thing for sure what ever way it goes----we have to live with it!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flatlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I

I like late Jan. season idea, but i don't think people will spend the gas money to drive to Southern Iowa to hunt does.It's Christmas time.$$$$$

Glad i don't have to make the decision. One thing for sure what ever way it goes----we have to live with it!!! </div></div>

To my knowledge, you can use a statewide tag anywhere and the other tags would still be county specific. People would be able to hunt where they hunted during gun season! So they wouldn't have to drive to the limited counties that have the late season.

As to the last statement! Thumbs up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you opted to buy Shotgun season tags, knowing you could have watched the weather prior to purchasing your tags, which would have allow you to wait for more favorable hunting conditions, unfortunately your tags went unfilled, that was your choice!</div></div>

Being the rookie that I am, I thought you were able to hunt all seasons, so thats why I bought first season, thinking if I didnt fill my tag I would go buy a license for second season. Now that I understand how hunting works, I am better prepared for next year and I will hunt 2nd season shotgun instead of first.

As for the weather, I was out there all day every day even in the freezing sleet. You have to buy your doe tags before the quota is sold out, and you have to pick the season in which they can be used, which the sell out happens well before you can predict the weather for that week of hunting.

Could this be the beginning of a serious change to the way Iowa does deer hunting?

I am supportive of whatever extra hunting that I can do, cause having to wait a whole year for a few opportunities to hunt really sucks.

Last season, cleanup crew, anyone with left over tags go for it, count me in.

Top Bottom