Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Special Season Reality......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear this all the time up here in MN because the gun season is so "short" - that's what the gun hunters say - if you want more time in the woods then start bowhunting or get a muzzleloader and hunt the early or late season. You have a lot more options that just gun season and don't have to wait a full year for the next gun season to come around. </div></div>

As for me bowhunting, I have a torn rotator cuff injury, so don't know as I could do it. Crossbow sure, but Bow Hunting and Shotgun hunting are as different as Catfishing versus Bassfishing.

If I am having trouble taking a deer with a shotgun, what makes you think I would be sucessful with a Bow or Muzzleloader...Jeez... Let me get proficient with one method of hunting before I try to expand my skills.

Bowhunters get 2 full months to hunt, shotgunners only gets 1 week. How is that fair? I think they need to merge the shotgun season into 1 season, and have it 3 weeks long. Maybe that would also spread the hunters out a little more and there wouldnt be such a rush.
</div></div>

Um - yeah.
You're preaching to a site predominately made up of bow hunters -bow hunters who also gun hunt because they can - but asking how it is "fair" that bowhunters get a longer season isn't going to help you get your point across. It sounds like you just started deer hunting - sit back and learn before you go complaining about things that are "fair". You'll see why things are done the way they are if you hang out here long enough.

I didn't say you were inproficient with the gun, not everyone kills a deer every season every year out, it's hunting, it happens, it's no big deal. How would bow or muzzleloader hunting help you? It would give you much more time in the woods to help you become a more proficient hunter overall. You have much more time to actually learn about deer and their habits when you're hunting an animal that is not being chased by an army of orange.

I know a few bowhunters with rotator injuries - you start small, build it back up, heck, you only need to be able to draw a bow with 30lb draw weight now days to harvest a deer - and with the let offs that bows have you could make it happen.

Anyway - this got off topic.....I'm in agreement with later season not doing much good overall - jkratz hit the nail on the head, but if it gets approved and you get to go, good luck to you.

Greg, I think that if the season was 3 weeks long, it would cause all the hunters to hunt the opening weekend. It is usually the best, deer are still patternable, and unspooked. The splitting the season up helps keeps the woods less cluttered. By giving only 5 days of the best time to shotgun hunt, or to give 9 days to hunt. People have to make a decision, and alot of people like the extented time of the 2nd season, with the other half wanting to get out there early.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greg, I think that if the season was 3 weeks long, it would cause all the hunters to hunt the opening weekend. It is usually the best, deer are still patternable, and unspooked. The splitting the season up helps keeps the woods less cluttered. By giving only 5 days of the best time to shotgun hunt, or to give 9 days to hunt. People have to make a decision, and alot of people like the extented time of the 2nd season, with the other half wanting to get out there early. </div></div>

took the words right out of my mouth nanny

I personally love having the two split seasons the way they are. I am confused on why they are wanting to add this special doe only season...is it just for one year? Are they taking that time away from the late muzzleloaders and bow hunters then? Its gonna be dangerous..just stupid...when will we know if it got voted in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">“Because we have immediate access to harvest numbers, we are able to determine right away where we are at in terms of the harvest and our goals. This system of being able to collect data immediately is a very powerful tool in helping us manage the deer herd and maintain Iowa’s world class status for deer hunting,” said Herring.

So far, deer harvest data indicates the harvest is 34,000 deer below last year at the same time and below the target goals of the DNR’s Wildlife Bureau which has been carefully monitoring the harvest rates.

“With the new harvest reporting system, it gives us the ability to suggest changes like this that will allow us to get closer to our harvest goals and provide Iowans with additional recreational opportunities,” said Herring. </div></div>

With the real-time reporting system, this could be a future trend.

I posted this on the original "Special season" thread and One Cam said basically the same thing. It's not about $$$ or protecting your own season at this point, it's about harvest numbers. If the insurance lobby sees harvest numbers are down, they're going to be pushing the legislature to do something about it, which could open the door for more NRs, rifles, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like it or not, the bottom line is most of the deer harvested are taken during the shotgun seasons. With the weather the past two weekends, that harvest hasn't taken place. I'd personally rather see a special season to deal with the situation now, rather than have the insurance lobby look at the low harvest numbers and say we need to open it up to NR's, rifles, etc.

Do I really want shotgunners out during MY late muzzleloader season? No. But I'd rather share a few days now than lose far more in the long run. </div></div>

We all better hope the season is successful or we're ALL going to lose.

I wish there was a number people could call if they wounded deer without recovering them. I know a number of people that shot deer opening morning, and could not follow the trail due to snow. If it is numbers they are concerned with, then all things need to be considered.

If EVERYONE registered every deer shot, maybe this wouldn't be an issue. I'm sure they use some factor to add to the actual number of reported kills to arrive at a best guess number. If surveyed someone who doesn't register his kill is probably not going to admit it, so I'm pretty confident the harvest number used is much lower than the actual number. Call in and register your harvests next year (and this year)to avoid this from happening again. It's is required after all. Do it by the book or is all just poaching.

I just got off the phone with a lady at the DNR office it is 12:30 right now and they are having the meeting as I type this. I sent a couple of emails and tried to call and voice my concerns.
I hope to see the season open after Jan. 10
I wait my turn, I think it is the only fair way.

I disagree with selling more out of state antlerless tags. How many nonresidents will pay the extra amount to hunt in Iowa for a Doe. I think these licenses lead to more out of state hunters having a reason to come to Iowa and shoot a big buck illegally. If it was possible the state should follow every out of state hunter with a antlerless license and see how many want to spend the money to shoot a doe.

nanny, for residents, the antlerless tag pool has been county by county for a couple years now. not sure on NR. it needs to be done this way, to try to steer more hunters to areas that need more hunters. unfortunately, these are also the areas where hunter access is the hardest to get

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Japman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disagree with selling more out of state antlerless tags. How many nonresidents will pay the extra amount to hunt in Iowa for a Doe. I think these licenses lead to more out of state hunters having a reason to come to Iowa and shoot a big buck illegally. If it was possible the state should follow every out of state hunter with a antlerless license and see how many want to spend the money to shoot a doe. </div></div>

not to get off topic but we talked to our local DNR about this subject and he said there will be a change in the regs next season. The way I understood it is that NR hunters won't be able to come to IA with antlerless only tags, the reason for the change is because of the bad apples that were hunting here with antlerless tags but harvesting bucks. I guess NR who draw buck tags will be able to purchase doe tags. I have not heard anything more about this but this is what we have been told.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoessHillsArcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Japman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disagree with selling more out of state antlerless tags. How many nonresidents will pay the extra amount to hunt in Iowa for a Doe. I think these licenses lead to more out of state hunters having a reason to come to Iowa and shoot a big buck illegally. If it was possible the state should follow every out of state hunter with a antlerless license and see how many want to spend the money to shoot a doe. </div></div>

not to get off topic but we talked to our local DNR about this subject and he said there will be a change in the regs next season. The way I understood it is that NR hunters won't be able to come to IA with antlerless only tags, the reason for the change is because of the bad apples that were hunting here with antlerless tags but harvesting bucks. I guess NR who draw buck tags will be able to purchase doe tags. I have not heard anything more about this but this is what we have been told.</div></div>

That makes much more sense, I know there are some who hunt out of state for does, but I think very few, especially during bow season.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teeroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nanny, for residents, the antlerless tag pool has been county by county for a couple years now. not sure on NR. it needs to be done this way, to try to steer more hunters to areas that need more hunters. unfortunately, these are also the areas where hunter access is the hardest to get </div></div>

Teeroy, last year non-residents had a certain # that could be bought, but they had to chose a county that still had a quota left. Adams county still has a ton of antlerless tags left, I really believe it is do to the why they changed it. Instead of a pool #, then having to choose where to go, they did it like us residents have it, certain # of non-resident tags for each county, which I can see the up side for them doing this, but right now I am seeing the down side.

Since you are so involved in IBA, Troy, I think it would be good for a Non-resident to be able to purchase (IF DRAWN IN FOR ANYSEX) as many antlerless tags that they want. Maybe something that could be brought up. If they shut off the antlerless tags only to non-residents, but let the ones who have drawn an anysex tag purchase as many as they want (county quota still has enough). I don't see a down side to this, if anyone does, chime in, lets keep it civial though.

Top Bottom