Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Special Season Reality......

there will be a meeting on this tomorrow, thursday, dec. 13, on the 4th floor of the wallace building. meeting starts at 8:30am, and will hear from the public at 10:30am. so, if anyone has free time, GO TO THAT MEETING. i truly feel that anything we do will be shot down, the main thing that could sway the vote, is a highly visible physical show of support.

and, i agree, that we already have a season in place for harvesting does. january. make any unused anysex/antlerless statewide tags valid for an antlerless deer, statewide. and, to boost sales in counties that still have many tags left, cut the prices. hell, make it a new rule, any county with antlerless tags left on jan 1, prices are cut to $5, with a dollar going to HUSH. its not a loss of funding, if those tags were to go unsold (as they normally are)

again, if you are able, GO TO THAT MEETING

<u>IF</u> I'm understanding this correctly, they're really opening up a can of worms by holding this meeting tomorrow. If they make a decision and it gets out, it seems to me that the 2nd season shotgunners will have ample notice to buy up all the antlerless tags for use on the "New Special" season which includes the dates of 21,22,23 December. They can call all those newly purchased tags non-used from 2nd shotgun season (since it's still active) even though they may have only bought them all up because of the announcement itself. The only way I could see the DNR getting around this would be to only allow tags purchased up to and including the day of the meeting as valid for use in the special hunt, which is messy. That's not even taking into account the obvious drawback for the LM guys. Am I missing something with my facts/theory here or does that just sound like a cluster waiting to happen?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JOHN DEERE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got another solution. Why not let hunters fill any unfilled tag from any year? I have a mug full of all my unfilled tags at home. Plenty of late season tags. </div></div>

cause then doubleA would be runnin around with 35 deer tags tryin to fill them!!!!

and my e-mail has been sent!!!!

Re: Special Season Reality, (UPDATE!!)

Those of you who sent emails and called
Thank you!!!

wanna do some more???

I just got off the phone with Willie Suchy, (He returned my phone call by the way, which was really nice of him!!!)

He and i had a long conversation and it sounds like this season is pretty much gonna happen, unfortunately!

But, i offed this alternative.....
i said, since we as late season bow hunters and Late Muzzleloader hunters are having to sacrifice our usual tactics to compensate for more deer moving in an unnatural pattern, due to the onslaught of the shotgun hunters, we should be compensated as well!

He asked what i meant....
i said, add three days to the regular season, ending it on the 13th of January rather than the 10th, so the three days that were compromised in December would be "given back"

We also realized that the late antlerless season starts and would compete, but we both agreed that the competition would be less as there arent may counties that have available quotas for that season.

He liked this idea and felt it was a fair "trade" and he promised me he would fight for that compromise tomorrow at the meeting. no promises as to whether or not it will pass, but more opinions from all of you might be needed!!

Id rather keep things the way they should be, but if we have no choice, i like this idea better than just sharing a whole weekend....

so...

those of you who have been emailing, send another email to the two individuals mentioned preveously.

its not too late to continue the pressure......i plan on sending another email

Re: Special Season Reality, (UPDATE!!)

Just another thought to throw into the mix is the 1st season guys who have already disposed of their tags thinking they were worthless only to realize they could have been back in the game. Man, are there going to be some PO'd people. I really wonder if they've thought the ramifications of this idea through. No matter if you like the idea or not, this is going to be a PR disaster for the DNR.

Re: Special Season (UPDATE)......

I have spoken to 4 different shotgun hunters today about the new season. ALL of their responses were "Can't shoot a buck, so why would I go?" I think that this may be a mind set for quite a few (I said quite a few not ALL) hunters.

I have sent a few email today, basically emailing what Thomas has said, thanks for the info buddy, and I have actually been quoting you, so I hope you know what you are talking about. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Re: Special Season (UPDATE)......

At work I heard on the radio that this WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. They didn't say anything about a meeting tomorrow. I think this meeting tomorrow is useless. Sounds to me like their minds are made up.

The deer up here are really grouping up and pounding the food sources and everyone is talking about all of the big bucks they're seeing. I'm sure there will be some big bucks that fall during this STUPID season.

If they want to even out the numbers. Make all doe tags during the late antlerless season $2. Or send a memo to all NR landowners stating they can buy doe tags this year. These are the properties that need the herd thinned.

IF it goes through then I guess my late muzzleloader buck tag will be easier to fill if a bunch of guys are out stomping all over the place.

Still cheeses my ass that they're pulling it out like this.

That is absolutley the truth. I dont understand all the complaining. The dnr is not out there to help you kill your buck of a lifetime nor do they care. They are doing what they think is best for the deer population.It seems people are only thinking about themselves and not looking at the big picture. A few groups out for three days isnt going to ruin a 24 day season

Smackdown, I think alot of people realize this. DNR probably has a quota to meet on the deer population. I would much rather them hunt 3 days in December, than to allow unlimited non-res. My dad is a non-resident, and I love hunting with him, but he will come every year, anysex or antlerless, to hunt with me.

wow.....ummmmmm... geez i dont know what to say...

so all the county quotas will still be in affect? cant use a tag from a different county?

I spent what time I had between clients today taking phone calls and talking to DNR people. I agree with Tha4 the season will happen, but that shouldn't stop anyone from voicing your displeasure.
I know these changes can be made by a code or rule change, so they are tougher to act against.
The number one thing the hunters in this state need to be doing is talk to your legislator and tell them what is happening in your area, either you aren't seeing the numbers of deer you used to see or that you are losing places to hunt.Just let them know what is happening in your area.Right now all they are hearing from is FB.
The guy or gal that spends much time here at IW are the hardcore hunters that will get involved, but all have buddies or friends that will just stand back and do nothing. We have to get everyone fired up and willing to make that call or send that email.

Mr. Elkhunter (don't know your name). You have an address or an email that I (we) can sent a letter to. I, for one, would be willing to write a letter or email to legislator, just don't know where to sent it.

I really think we need to pick and choose our battles ... no this does not settle well with muzzleloader and bow hunters.

But since we apparently need does killed this really isn't a bad idea - I know of several groups that were impacted by the weather and the harvest was down in areas of high deer numbers. Shotgun hunters are the staple for doe harvests and if the goal is to truely bring the deer/doe population down, which seems clearly the case to me they are on the right track by giving Iowa sportsman one more chance. Yes it is an inconvience for me and other archery and muzzleloader hunters but the intention is good and we should at least recognize this.

Again we really need to pick and choose our battles ... if we fight this one it may weaken our voice/argument for other much more important legislative initiatives.

I don't guess I against it. I try to do my part in doe harvest during the Thanksgiving and late antlerless seasons. By the way elkhunter, I wasn't being a smarta@# in the earlier post, but would really like to have an address.

Guys, I feel for you all. I can only say that you all need to do anything in your power to help the IDNR maintain control of their ability to run the show.

In 2001, the Kansas Legislature took over control of our wildlife. The almighty dollar was the driving factor in every statute passed, and the NR floodgates were opened. For 7 years we have been fighting for the state to allow the KDWP to govern themselves and to do what is best for the wildlife, not the bottom line.

In 2008, the KS dept of wildlife and parks will be back to running the show, but they will have big brother hanging over their shoulder watching every move. It is an improvement over the way it has been in recent history, but it is far from perfect.

This year's late muzzy season is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Look at the long term effects of what your Legislature running the show will be and focus your fight on making sure that this does not happen. Your politicians will get a taste of big NR tag money and will DESTROY YOUR DEER HERD in short order. This is where your fight is fellas.

Top Bottom