Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2014 IW Trapping Thread

Two questions.....................

We are looking at some cheaper electronic callers to cover yotes and coon. What coon sounds do we want? The one we are looking at only has coon pups in distress as a coon option.

2nd question...... does anyone have coyote trapping tips for frozen ground? I will need to pull steel stakes soon to prevent having to leave our foot holds out all winter. So far salting the dirt hole sets is preventing freezing but for how long?

Thanks in advance!

We use boar fight and distress for coons and my brother has the cheaper fox pro but not sure on the model.

And as far as traps one thing we do is use cable stakes with a ring so we can take the trap Off after frozen ground and mark the trap with flagging tape to come get it after the ground thaws.

We use a foxpro spitfire for calling coons and it works great. We start out with coons fighting and if that doesn't bring them out switch to coon distress. If you plan on calling coyotes and coons with the same caller then I would spend a little more money and get a better model of foxpro. The spitfire doesn't have the range you will need for coyotes on windy days. Not saying it won't work for calling coyotes because we have called plenty of them in with it but there are days when you need a little more range. The caller will pay for itself in no time.

I have a foxpro fx4 and play coon fight or coon distress or coon pups in distress early in the season and mostly coon fight later in the year.

Glycol and peat moss or truly dried dirt for trap beds once the ground freezes for good.
I use the pogo anchors 90 percent of the time for land trapping and if i have to pull traps ill just mark where the anchors are at and pull them later. Have had to use the pickup to pull a few of them.
You should be able to work a steel stake loose enough to pull it. You may have to make a big pry bar that works like a claw hammer but they should come out

Thanks for the tips guys. We pulled our dirt sets today as they were frozen in after the rains yesterday. With Thanksgiving this week and Gun seasons opening a week after, we're likely done until Christmas. We'll try some of the tips given here and keep you all updated.

As for the peat moss tip, do you mix in dry dirt or go 100% peat moss?

Depends. Some guys run all peat I believe. I also know of some guys using dirt and putting a square of insulation under the pan when freeze is coming to ensure the trap will fire.

Buckwheat hulls work great for frozen ground trapping. Apply your pan cover, bed the trap with some dry dirt. Cover with hulls then more dry dirt to blend. I have been using "underalls" with my MB-550's. It is a scent free foam piece that goes under the pan.

With the warm up last weekend finally got some fur moving again. Even rembered to take a few pictures:D
picture.php

After getting 6 coons in this trap circle got a little tore up. After a short clean up in the crick he was clean and down the line I went.
picture.php

Buckwheat hulls work great for frozen ground trapping. Apply your pan cover, bed the trap with some dry dirt. Cover with hulls then more dry dirt to blend. I have been using "underalls" with my MB-550's. It is a scent free foam piece that goes under the pan.

Skully, are buckwheat hulls sold locally or do you have to order them? And, can you elaborate a little more on the "underalls?"

Skully, are buckwheat hulls sold locally or do you have to order them? And, can you elaborate a little more on the "underalls?"

I use Minnesota Trapline Products Inc., They sell 23 pound bags of the hulls for $29.95 but they last a long time. The underalls are just a scent free piece of foam that fits under your set trap pan. You sift dirt over the set but the foam keeps a void under the pan so it will trigger when stepped on. Then there is no need for a pan cover and zero chance of dirt getting under your pans. They do add a little pan tension since the animal has to depress the foam and the pan to set off the trap. It is not an issue with coyotes though. Hope that helps.

We just use a piece of polyester batting that you can get from walmart under the pan.. works good and keeps the dirt out.

Been having a little luck chasing yotes around. Keep in mind that with this thawing and freezing weather we've been having you need dry dirt and some sort of antifreeze to keep your sets working. This set should be money, just a matter of time....

picture.php

Coyotes are not the only critter that likes tainted beaver meat! :)

picture.php

Had this big ol dog in a snare.

picture.php

Take a kid trapping when you can. My cousin's daughter tagged along one morning and we all had a blast! Good luck to all still chasing the fur!

picture.php

Mason's first beaver

We have a creek that runs through our 2 acre backyard. This fall the beavers showed up and built a dam using willows off of our sand bar. My 6 year old son and I thought we would give trapping a try. After 6 days we finally caught him in a snare. 36.6 pounds. Mason was super excited. The only bad thing is Mason wanted his first animal "on the wall" like Dad's trophies so we will have a taxidermy bill instead of a fur sale. Oh well it was a lot of fun. Video, pictures and memories are worth it.

2866-photo_1.jpg

Here is a link to a short video. After checking 5 days in a row Mason thought it was empty without even checking. His reaction was priceless after he realized he got one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8_2sW3OaN0

Ran into Bonker in the fur buyer's parking lot. His motorcycle was broken down so he borrowed his wife's car for the day! LOL!!!

picture.php

Top Bottom