Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2014 IW Trapping Thread

This year the coon market is way down. Almost a million coon held over from last year. But with the early freeze ending some people's seasons early hopefully next year is better. You did well on the yotes though

We took in 23 coons and a red coyote into the Groenwold buyer last Wednesday and had a $6 avg for skinned and frozen coon pelts and they would only give $10 for the yote so we kept it.

We took in 23 coons and a red coyote into the Groenwold buyer last Wednesday and had a $6 avg for skinned and frozen coon pelts and they would only give $10 for the yote so we kept it.

Sounds like he was fair with us then. Since I have no experience prior to last year with trapping, I was concerned that he saw us coming a mile away and took advantage of our lack of knowledge.

I'm glad to know that we didn't get taken advantage of. Prices just suck. Again, at least the boys are having fun and spending their spare time in the outdoors!:)

The memories are worth much more than the fur, Wayne. My kiddos and I have had a blast in our first year, as well.

A friends dad averaged $5 for whole carcass coon when he sold last week. These were from further north so I'd imagine the fur was more prime. Sounds about right what you got... but it is a bummer. I was hoping to do well enough this year to re-invest in some more gear but that won't be happening!

The coon market is bad this year but those prices sound a little low. There are some tricks to speed up skinning coon, you should be able to do one in under 10 minutes. I would be happy to help if you are close, I live by Pella.

My partner and I ran last week and had decent luck on coon. We trap on Red Rock and it was freezing up on Friday already so we pulled that line. Our land line shut down with this cold weather, the only thing we caught this weekend was 2 bobcats. Unfortunately they were on a property where the farmer wants them released because they kill turkeys.

The warm up the end of this week should be good, I hope to set some new ground the end of the week and pick up some more coon.

There are some tricks to speed up skinning coon, you should be able to do one in under 10 minutes. I would be happy to help if you are close, I live by Pella.

I not far off, in Newton. We will keep the offer in mind if they decide to take on skinning again, thank you!

The boys scored on their 3rd Coyote of the year today. They caught a chunk of hide in this trap Saturday morning and weren't able to reset it until Sunday. Caught him Sunday night / Monday morning. Had tracks around another set but stayed 3-4 feet away.

1040-nov_17th2014.jpg

Congrats on the coyotes, I would love to get good at trapping them. Hopefully the warm up this weekend gets the coon moving again, I am getting bored checking empty traps every morning.

Try coon calling if your bored!

Although I have personally done very little coon calling...I would think that this coming weekend could be an awful good time to try it. I do know that the recent cold snap has suppressed coon movement in many areas and with a bit of a warm up coming...I think there could be some very hungry rascals that may be pretty vulnerable to the sounds of a free meal.

I'm going to try that this weekend with an electric caller.. Just trying to decide whether I want to take a shotgun or maybe my 17HMR.. Any thoughts?

Either will work, I use a 22 mag and my buddy uses a 17. We aim for the earhole and watch them fall. There are times when they come out of the holes so fast it's hard to get them in the scope and a shotgun would come in handy but most of the coons will come out and investigate first before committing. That leaves plenty of time for a well placed shot.

Although I have personally done very little coon calling...I would think that this coming weekend could be an awful good time to try it. I do know that the recent cold snap has suppressed coon movement in many areas and with a bit of a warm up coming...I think there could be some very hungry rascals that may be pretty vulnerable to the sounds of a free meal.

This will be an excellent weekend for coon calling!

My partner and I do some coon calling and it's a blast when it works. I still love running a trap line and have better luck putting up coon consistently doing it.

Hey Bowman, where are you located.. You can come trap the yotes up here by Ames for me

:D Wish we could. I'm in Newton so just a bit too far. This is our first year actually catching yotes. I will say that we are very pleased with the Bridger Dogless #2 coil spring traps. Very easy to use and have performed well for us this year. We are using ground muskrat as bait, Bobcat gland in the hole, fox lure outside with fox urine outside as well. We found some dead field mice killed by stray cats and put one in each hole as well as a visual attractant. So far, so good this year. We are hoping to knock out a few more this year.

Your wild and crazy coon calling action will come a bit later in the season when the so called "coon rut" is on.
Right now you will see more of a curiosity response that should allow some easy well placed shots.
The end of december into Jan i keep the shotgun on my lap, when it works it can be an absolute charge to the call

Top Bottom