Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

iowawhitetail coyote count and random dog hunt pic

Following this thread....looking to get into coyote hunting myself.
I think this (calling coyotes) may be the "next big thing" that everyone is talking about. Especially with the seemingly unlimited numbers of yotes (one behind every tree don't cha know). Although there are many that have done it for years, I am seeing it becoming more and more popular. Either this, or calling coons. I'll admit that I am one of the newbies, having only done a few sits in the last couple of years.

Some people around here that truck/cb hunt all split up after a fresh snow and drive around sections until they find a fresh track going into a section and then drive around it to make sure the track doesn't exit the section.. then they have to figure out who owns it and make some calls if it's on ground they don't already have permission on. then they call everyone in and surround the section and send a few guys in down fence rows and creeks to bust them out and the guys on the perimeter are waiting.

My family used to do similar. Only without looking for tracks on the road (figured there would be some in the areas we did) and without trucks other than to drop people off. I guess you would call it more of a coyote block and drive, like a deer drive, and only on land we had access to. I don't remember this being that effective, but was good experience that taught us how to walk a property for when we started deer hunting. Now I'm getting into calling them, and usually carry a gun while shed hunting just in case.

Crazy how brave the coyotes are getting going right through our backyard 30-40 yards away from the house. So we put a deer carcass out and tied it to a tree. Dad has shot two coyotes from the house over the past week.

Crazy how brave the coyotes are getting going right through our backyard 30-40 yards away from the house. So we put a deer carcass out and tied it to a tree. Dad has shot two coyotes from the house over the past week.

Can I like this post? Ok, thumbs up will have to do. My dad hears them within 150 yards of his house in the middle of the night, and I've seen one traveling mid afternoon at about 90 yards from his house.

One time my brother and I went to check one of my cameras, which was about 100 yards from the road. On the way back to the truck, following our tracks back out, we crossed coyote tracks (thinking from two younger ones) that weren't there when we went in. We even had a gun just in case we saw some! Never did see them.

We had three bedded under our trampoline in the yard one afternoon. Walk through our yard almost everynight just never when we are trying to shoot them.. they aren't even scared of our lab or chessy

Can I like this post? Ok, thumbs up will have to do. My dad hears them within 150 yards of his house in the middle of the night, and I've seen one traveling mid afternoon at about 90 yards from his house.

One time my brother and I went to check one of my cameras, which was about 100 yards from the road. On the way back to the truck, following our tracks back out, we crossed coyote tracks (thinking from two younger ones) that weren't there when we went in. We even had a gun just in case we saw some! Never did see them.

Multiple nights have I woken up to coyotes howling and found tracks in our backyard. Our neighbor has complained about them coming close to her house and waking her up in the middle of the night. Hopefully we can put a dent in them!

We had three bedded under our trampoline in the yard one afternoon. Walk through our yard almost everynight just never when we are trying to shoot them.. they aren't even scared of our lab or chessy

Same, we have a lab and it doesn't bother them one bit. You never know when they are going to come either just have to be there at the right time.

My dad called in a bobcat. Did not have a furbearers license so did not shoot it. He also had a giant bobcat by the barn this afternoon.

They hunted one evening and when they came back a coyote was in the lane. He missed it.

The next night he hit one he called in with howls. Im sure its dead. He didnt look too hard.

The next night they killed one that came right into the flambeau decoy and rabbit decoy.

I have not got out much.

Usually between 1st and 4th shots lol I group hunt yotes use an old H and K 91 rifle semi auto 20 round clip. My group got 4 yesterday

Last edited:
We have usually been out quite a bit by now, but he wind has been abotch. We only hunt on moonlight nights with a caller or hand calls. I think with so many people getting into the sport, tactics have to change. Seems everyone has a Foxpro blaring lighting jack out there. Twice this year I have seen the dogs bolt at the sound of the caller. May go strictly hand calls for the remainder of the season for this reason. Only shot 6 for the year and usually twice that by now. They are a smart critter. Best thing a guy can do I set up expecting down wind action ... Good luck.

Attachments

• image-3380141615.jpg
    image-3380141615.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image-89834609.jpg
    image-89834609.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 77
Got this guy a couple of years ago off my back deck. We had turkeys with poults going through the yard. A few minutes later the coyotes would trot though. I watched this happen for a week before I decided to put my .223 by the back door. A few days later it paid off. I saw the turkeys coming, got ready and 5 minutes later this guy was trotting after them. He was 30-40 yards out, 40 grain ballistic tip. DRT.

yote_zps1ab8ef73.jpg

Mr. Bonker sir,

That...is very cool! If we decide to move again I'll be looking for a property that allows me those opportunities as well!

Our group killed 9 or 10 this weekend. Kicked 4 out of one section and didn't get any of them! Ran right to a timber we don't have permission for.

Made a few sets today, no luck. Hoping for a snow filled full moon in a couple weeks.

Dad and uncle got this one this morning. Came in from over a mile claims my dad. My dad had a good 200 yard shot at it but it was heading right for my uncle so he let it go to him. He shot it at 40 yards.

ForumRunner_20140202_213832.png

Could you use a savage .17HMR for yotes?

also- I have this Saturday 2-8 completely open and a few properties that haven't been hunted for yotes but there are a lot of them there (and a few bobcats)

Anyone interested in going- I have ZERO experience with them but would love to see a bunch taken out

3 properties - 1 near winterest and 2 in southern IA near AFTON/Aripse- lots of ground to cover but I know there are a ton of them there

Top Bottom