Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

leased ground

I have 320 acres that I lease and I pay $2100 for everything except the shotgun season on 240 of those acres....

I probably won't lease it next year because I have close to 1000 acres that I can hunt for free just by talking to landowners and asking permission to hunt...I just bowhunt and I can attest that finding property to bowhunt is a lot easier that hunting all season...When I talk to them the first thing they ask is am I going to shotgun hunt and when I say no they say go ahead...

I love Iowa...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saskguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So off topic again, is then the argument you hear so often that a farmer needs to lease to make ends meet a little misleading? </div></div>

I find it hard to believe that a farmer "needs" to lease to make ends meet. Margins are not that tight. Most often it comes down to the business question of "Why not?" If you have the ability to make a few more dollars per acre with minimal effort and it does not impact your interests, seems like a business no-brainer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWilk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He has no idea what it's worth the last time I heard the going rate was 10$ an acre. Am i to far off or should it be less? </div></div>

They were getting that 10 years ago but most folks in the know are getting anywheres from $20-80 an acre. Most farmers/landowners advertise to get high dollar.

If you can rent it for 10 bucks an acre...I'd get a long term lease, although I have seen leases broken and re-broken where competition from outfitters is intense.

I've seen fights break out, tree stands sabatouged, phone threats...you name it, all over leased land....

no thanks......... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Amazing what some people will do just to hunt; bring money into the equation and you are just asking for trouble. Its a sad day where money is driving something that is supposed to be fun. I don't know about you all, but I consider it a blessing to be able to hunt and get away from all the mumbo jumbo money driven world </div></div>

Here in Central Iowa it is real hard to find ground to bow hunt now. I just lost my last privet spot. I'm working on another piece of ground close to home, but it's getting real tempting to throw some $$$ down to lock up some ground!

you know da*^ well what i think.....

but i aint getting into it!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thomas.......... what do you think........... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nothing more entertaining then a fired up $ </div></div>

grumble.gif

Hey, I can understand why guys lease, no guff about it. But b/c my dad pounds about 1200 acres of crop in each yr I just don't buy the lease to make ends meet argument. I'm no dummy when it comes to input costs and returns.

i guess i dont see how one individual can determine what another needs or doesnt need to make ends meet....

maybe they have HUGE Dr. bills

maybe still paying for the sins of their youth (plastic money)

maybe they have a large college loan or two to pay for

maybe they have a huge Devorce settlement to pay into....

Child support????

etc., etc., etc.,

im suffering from the top 3, and if i was farming, and i could make some more money by leasing my ground to better help make MY ends meet, rest assured i would and feel no guilt for it!

Different strokes for diff't folks. Like I said, I get why guys lease, not attacking you bud, don't take it so personal. Just happy as a clam to come from the land where it isn't necessary, for either side.

i wasnt directing that at anyone in particular, and i wasnt takign it personal.... just stating reality.

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

and i dont lease ground......
yet.....

Kaare,
Another thing that comes into play down here is the availability of land. There would be no reason at all to lease down here if a guy could still buy land at $600 an acre to farm or as a piece of recreational ground. Competition for land is pretty stiff to farm and as soon a piece comes up for rent it is gone.

The thing that really scares me with all the leasing is that our kids will never be able to hunt private land in the future except for a fee.

As far as the farmers if I was not a hunter you are darn right I would let someone hunt it for a price I think we would all do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The thing that really scares me with all the leasing is that our kids will never be able to hunt private land in the future except for a fee.

As far as the farmers if I was not a hunter you are darn right I would let someone hunt it for a price I think we would all do it. </div></div>

it's to the point where we can't hunt land without a fee in most cases!

I don't think we are to a saturation point yet.

It is more difficult I agree but with a little legwork I
think people can find places usually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kaare,
Another thing that comes into play down here is the availability of land. There would be no reason at all to lease down here if a guy could still buy land at $600 an acre to farm or as a piece of recreational ground. Competition for land is pretty stiff to farm and as soon a piece comes up for rent it is gone. </div></div>

I totally understand what you are saying. That is why I said I don't begrudge anyone who does it. I got my eyes on opened a bit this summer when I was down there, I saw more population from Dubuque up to the MN border than I'm going to see this weekend in travelling approximately 350 miles one way to do some fishing. I can only hypothesize that the further south one goes, the more populated it'll get.

Don't think I'm bad mouthing anyone that leases b/c I do understand why they do, I would do it if had to. I just get reading these threads and lots of people that lease always seem to want to justify it with them helping the farmer make ends meet. I'd just rather see a guy say he's paying to play as opposed to attempt twisting the situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't think I'm bad mouthing anyone that leases b/c I do understand why they do, I would do it if had to. I just get reading these threads and lots of people that lease always seem to want to justify it with them helping the farmer make ends meet. I'd just rather see a guy say he's paying to play as opposed to attempt twisting the situation. </div></div>

I completely understand what you are saying. Relationships are still the basis of where I hunt and will remain that way unless the unforeseen happens. I talk to the folks I hunt on about their feelings on leasing and they just laugh, they are friends and would never let a business transaction get in the way of our relationship, I am lucky they value a friendship and a good time spent together over the dollar. It is a part of rural America that is rapidly changing and I am guessing will be totally changed by the time my children are my age but I will purchase as soon as the right piece comes available so they shouldn't have anything to worry about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He has no idea what it's worth the last time I heard the going rate was 10$ an acre. Am i to far off or should it be less? </div></div>

They were getting that 10 years ago but most folks in the know are getting anywheres from $20-80 an acre. Most farmers/landowners advertise to get high dollar.

If you can rent it for 10 bucks an acre...I'd get a long term lease, although I have seen leases broken and re-broken where competition from outfitters is intense.

I've seen fights break out, tree stands sabatouged, phone threats...you name it, all over leased land....

When the day comes you that you can't hunt without leasing ground, I'll hang up my bow...and I bet many others will do the same. Outfitters want Iowa to become the next Wallstreet. Of course we've seen what happens when free markets run unchecked. The invisible hand is pretty unforgiving and uncaring. Unfortunately there won't be anyone to bail us out...

SO SUPPORT THE IBA - JOIN TODAY! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Avidhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He has no idea what it's worth the last time I heard the going rate was 10$ an acre. Am i to far off or should it be less? </div></div>

When the day comes you that you can't hunt without leasing ground, I'll hang up my bow...and I bet many others will do the same. Outfitters want Iowa to become the next Wallstreet. Of course we've seen what happens when free markets run unchecked. The invisible hand is pretty unforgiving and uncaring. Unfortunately there won't be anyone to bail us out...

SO SUPPORT THE IBA - JOIN TODAY! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif </div></div>

Yeah, giving up is usually the best option!

Top Bottom