Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nonresident Landowners, check out this website.

Re: Nonresident Landowners, check out this website

Hellickson/FOI is using the QDM philosophy as a smoke cloud to make his group seem more appealing. Bottom line, all FOI truely want is liberalized NR licensure. Many members (or future members) of this group will see financial gain if that goal is achieved.
Does anyone believe FOI will continue on after a change in NR regulations? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I'm sure there have to be some QDMA members who see through the cloud and resent the way FOI is using QDMA philosophy to politically motivate people for a cause independant of the QDMA mission.

Thanks for clarity! It does look like FOI are trying to look like you two are aligned to me. One example is this right on their main page where it DEFINES FOI's organization, last paragraph on Friend's of Iowa's website defining THEM (not QDMA):

""The QDMA is dedicated to promoting sustainable, high quality, white-tailed deer population, wildlife habitats, and ethical hunting experiences through education, research and management in partnership with hunters, landowners, natural resource professionals and the public" We welcome your support of this issue.""

This is under the defining banner of who FOI is, looks to me like they are trying to portray as one in the same or at least confuse when you 1st read about them, had me thinking they were aligned. Of 4 paragraphs, it references QDM in 3, the 4th paragraph is entirely QDMA, it really seems to me they are trying to make the appearence of the 2 organizations being intertwined and supportive of eachother. The only way I knew different was thanks to Lindsay's post above which 99% of people are not going to realize/distinguish. I surely think the MAJORITY of people who read their website are going to think the 2 organizations support eachother and are on the same political side of the isle, each of the Board Director's makes a point to tell everyone their affiliation with QDMA as well. Just my fair observation and interpretation.

Mr. Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to register on this site and reply to this thread.

I am a Life Member of the Quality Deer Management Association. I became a Life Member because of the fantastic educational opportunities and what I believe is the basic philosophy of this Association.

The basic philosophy of the QDMA, as I see it and without reviewing all the mission statements, goal statements and vision statements, is a philosophy of healthy deer herds through co-operative efforts between land owners, hunters and State Regulatory Agencies.

Unfortunately to the members of iowawhitetail, QDMA has been inextricably linked to Friends of Iowa. All it took was for the QDMA initials to be used by the owners of FOI and de facto support for FOI by QDMA was given.

Your statement, while appreciated, stopped short of what members of this site wanted to read. We, of course, wanted to read a resounding rebuttal and denial to all that FOI is attempting to do to the resident hunters of Iowa.

I understand the Association can not appear to support any of the organizations involved in this issue, but this may be an instance where if you aren’t with us, then you are against us.

Another sad point to be made is simple “guilt by association”. FOI sited QDMA therefore QDMA is in agreement with FOI.

I do hope that by reading your post and then revisiting the FOI site, members of iowawhitetail will find neither of these issues to be true. Hopefully this will be a classic case of “Post hoc ergo propter hoc”, because of QDMA then FOI.

I also fear that QDMA has started to get a reputation as a “Landed Gentry” organization that supports hunting for the wealthy land owners and subsistence for the masses instead of an educational and support organization for all. This, at best, is unfortunate. I don’t know how you would go about reversing this ground swell of sentiment, but support for the residents of Iowa on this issue by simply requesting FOI to put a denial of direct association or support from QDMA on the FOI site and a reciprocal statement on the QDMA site would be a great start.

Oh yeah, nice plaque by the way.

QDMA Membership #86541

The ‘Bonker

Folks,

My name is Mickey Hellickson and I am one of the board members of the Friends of Iowa organization.

First, roughly 20% of the Iowa landscape is owned by a non-resident. This means that they control hunting access to 1/5 of the state and likely around 1/5 of the state's deer herd. For the sake of Iowa's deer herd, doesn't it make sense for these non-resident landowners to have access to more deer tags with fewer restrictions?

Second, I challenge anyone on this site to name a state east of the Missouri River where it is HARDER for a non-resident to get a deer tag?

Third, if you live in Iowa but own land in any of the surrounding states, you can get a non-resident deer tag for that state much more easily than you can in reverse.

Fourth, I think it would be extremely selfish for me to uproot my family, quit my job, and move back to Iowa so that I can more easily get a deer tag.

Finally, this is obviously a hot issue and there will always be opposing sides who will never find common ground. I won't attempt to change the mind of some of the folks on this site. However, I strongly believe there is an injustice in the way non-resident tags are now issued and instead of standing around and complaining, I am helping to do something about it.

What's funny to me is that all of these non residents think there's a booner behind every tree in this state and that if they come here they'll kill a huge buck guaranteed.

As a whole, local resident hunters in Iowa have been so passionate about deer hunting in the last 10 years with managing herds that we now have more and bigger bucks than ever. If other states' natural resource departments would just embrace the same ideas and encourage residents to shoot does over immature bucks, they would start seeing similar results.

Its fine the way it is now, and plenty of nonresidents get tags the way it is. I wish people would just stay in their states and try to manage their herds effectively and if they get an Iowa tag every 3 years or so, hey you won the lottery. If you're a non resident and own land, and don't want the pain of waiting that long for a tag, freakin' sell it and buy some land in your state.

I'm gonna go get a beer. Be right back.

Problem is Mickey, that 1/5 of the state is overpopulated by deer because of NON-RESIDENT LANDOWNERS. Before they have always had the option of coming to the state and taking a doe with archery tackle, party hunting where they could legally kill a buck or holiday tags where they can get a reduced price on tags. So why is it still overpopulated when they (NON-RESIDENT LANDOWNER) has had all this opportunity to manage their land?

Another question Mickey, and tell me man to man, if the non-resident quota is lifted, are you going to benefit from it through guiding? NO BS man up and say yes or no.

I still believe for the most part that NR landowners being able to get tags every year will increase deer numbers DRAMATICALLY. 1/5 of land owned by NR's could and likely will go to 2/5's or more. Most of those NR's are here to kill giant bucks and rarely kill near enough does, if the regulations change in anyway you propose, I don't think that will change, you'll see deer numbers increase.

The only ground I see with proper amounts of deer shot is the ground hunted by residents. Of the 10-15 NR landowners around me, I'd say almost all somehow gets hunted every year and all are far more overpopulated (big buck hunted). Give them all the doe tags you want and most will still come out for mainly peak rut, shoot a couple does over the season and leave. While NR landowners having great access, tons more land will get leased up, land prices will sky-rocket, more people will come to kill a giant buck and doe numbers will increase. You state Illinois as some great example of how things are wonderful, I see a nightmare.
I won't write a novel why i think so BUT bottom line in my opinion is FOI getting its way means: HIGHER deer numbers, vastly more leased land (less access to land), more land bought up & far higher prices for hunting land, no access for lower/middle class and youth hunters, NR & outfitters buying and controlling most the good hunting land and FOI's interests seeing the gains of the mighty Dollar one way or another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fourth, I think it would be extremely selfish for me to uproot my family, quit my job, and move back to Iowa so that I can more easily get a deer tag.
</div></div>

...and it wouldn't be extremely selfish to create environment that would reduce a huge amount of available hunting ground for the average Iowa resident?

No need to answer, we all know where you stand on the class issue.....

You are the most selfless person I've seen in a while. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

See you in the Iowa Legislature Mickey. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Oh, and someone PLEASE respond to Mickey's 1 through 5 points with a solid, factual response that easily points out the flaws in it as well as why Iowa shouldn't change much of what HE has problems with. I'll do it if no one else does (obviously respectfully as he did).

Mickey,

You are an educated man. If a law were to be passed that allowed nonresident landowners to hunt every year, or lets just say they doubled or tripled the NR quota increasing the chance of drawing, How much of the state do you think NR's would control hunting access as well as the deer herd then? Would it remain the same, increase to 1/4 or maybe 1/3 or possibly decrease?

I honestly don't think that you would forecast a decrease or for that number to change and I highly doubt that you would admit that you would expect an increase in NR control across the State. What benefit do we see from just giving up access to the limited ground we have?

I am not against non-residents coming and hunting our state, but there has to be rules and limitations. If you want to see where we are coming from. Drive on up here, put on a pair of blue jeans, drive around anywhere and knock on some landowners doors and say, "Hi my name is Mickey, and I would like to hunt your ground this fall for deer, without getting out the pocket book. I highly doubt all that ground you got down in the southern part of the state is all locked down just because you asked nicely.

I think it would be an injustice if we didn't try to protect what we got. We don't have to go on out of state hunts to have the chance of a lifetime on a big buck. We invest in our own state because the chance of a lifetime could just be in the next section over.

I think alot of the other states throughout the country could have better deer herds, but unfortunately that takes change and that is something nobody wants.

Good post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OrionWhitetails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

First, roughly 20% of the Iowa landscape is owned by a non-resident. This means that they control hunting access to 1/5 of the state and likely around 1/5 of the state's deer herd. For the sake of Iowa's deer herd, doesn't it make sense for these non-resident landowners to have access to more deer tags with fewer restrictions?

Second, I challenge anyone on this site to name a state east of the Missouri River where it is HARDER for a non-resident to get a deer tag?

Third, if you live in Iowa but own land in any of the surrounding states, you can get a non-resident deer tag for that state much more easily than you can in reverse.

Fourth, I think it would be extremely selfish for me to uproot my family, quit my job, and move back to Iowa so that I can more easily get a deer tag.

Finally, this is obviously a hot issue and there will always be opposing sides who will never find common ground. I won't attempt to change the mind of some of the folks on this site. However, I strongly believe there is an injustice in the way non-resident tags are now issued and instead of standing around and complaining, I am helping to do something about it.

</div></div>

First, NR landowners have had chances to kill doe's and doe's only through archery and late season tags, along shotgun hunting and party hunting killing a buck. Now the law has changed and and the deer #'s are still going up.

Second, That is why Iowa is the most sought after to deer hunt, because it's not a free for all and the IOWA DNR has done a great job for Buck management, letting the residents do all of the "grunt" work, such as killing doe's and planting plots.

Third, When you bought the land in Iowa, you knew the law, and if you didn't, that is your own fault for not researching the state laws before purchasing land. So why wouldn't one purchase close to their resident where they can enjoy the land more freely, instead of coming here for a few weeks out of the year?

Fourth, Why is Iowa so important for you to hunt? There is Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, shall I go on. If it is family tradition and time spent with families, get a shotgun tag and party hunt with the family. If you are a bowhunter, do what every other red blooded american does and put in your time and wait for tag.

Finally, I have seen first hand on how you treat the surrounding neighbors around the Afton area, and I pray for the sake of every other Iowan that they do not have to put up with your arrogant, selfish ass in the future.

I am not originally from the state of Iowa, many know that. But I will help Iowans fight for the right that they have had long before I was here. I will probably not always reside in the state of Iowa, but you won't hear me complain about only getting to hunt the state "when" I draw a tag. This great state has the hunting that it has for a reason, the same reason that you are trying to take away.

I've bit my tough on many post about how southern people hate northerners. I recall Limb Chicken saying that he thought they were still fighting a battle down in Arkansas. Well, they are fighting the same battle that Iowans are fighting. Back in the day, any Tom, Dick or Harry to ask farmer Joe to duck hunt is slough or field and he would say yep, no problem. Now that the outfitters have taken over down there, there is only public ground to hunt, which is in short supply. When there is already an overubundance of resident hunters hunting the same spot, people tend to get a little irritated when the out of state people that have already taken their hunting spot (not the same people oviously) show up to hunt the only ground that they have to hunt themselves.

Man you got to love how a six pack will "help" you share your feelings with others /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif .

I think I'll pop some pop corn and get a beer myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OrionWhitetails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Folks,

My name is Mickey Hellickson and I am one of the board members of the Friends of Iowa organization.

</div></div>

One: Good for you on your land leasing/ownership. If you want does killed, lobby the legislature to make doe tags for residents free and let us hunt your ground. That has a better chance of passing.

Two: Good for us. At least we are trying to maintain a sustainable number of large bucks.

Three: So? Why should Iowans care? Not our states and we don't try to change laws in other states.

Four: Your problem not mine. Make a choice.

Five: You can count that we aren't sitting on our hands and doing nothing either.

You seem to be trying to make us feel guilty for that which we have fought so hard for. Are you so self centered that you can't see that it ain't all about you and what you want? It's about what the residents of this state want for our hunting, not what anybody else wants. Get used to it or better yet, move back and run for elected office. I'll glady donate to your opponent as much as I donate to the IBA, maybe more.

How can you guys pay for your leases/land in two states and still afford to hire a lobbyist in Iowa? You guys must be the highets common denomiator huh?

The 'Bonker

it takes a lot of nerve posting these thoughts on here in front of a lot of VERY passionate Iowa hunters, but you did and i will respectfully respond.

thus far this post has maintained rather sound discussion, but the following challenges a response.......

It is very evident FOI has an agenda and lots to gain by their silly little web site and organization of whoever's from where-ever's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, roughly 20% of the Iowa landscape is owned by a non-resident. This means that they control hunting access to 1/5 of the state and likely around 1/5 of the state's deer herd. For the sake of Iowa's deer herd, doesn't it make sense for these non-resident landowners to have access to more deer tags with fewer restrictions? </div></div>

I am not sure where that number came from, i highly doubt 20% of Iowa is NR owned! If that were the case, our current regulations would not exist, there would be an opponent the same size (or bigger) and same structure of the IBA that would always refute and argue the IBA's standpoints. so im gonna throw the BS flag on that one!

for the sake of Iowa's deer herd, it DOES NOT make sense to lift many of the restrictions Iowa currently has on NR deer hunters. if the state of Iowa were to lessen the restrictions, many more NR land owners would surface and could buy up a majority of the available land here in Iowa, as that would be a "guarantee" tags each year. that in turn would force the currently high prices through the roof making expensive leases the only option for those who hunt under permission only. AND permission only hunters would be come extinct, which is the majority of resident hunters! Not to mention the incredible hunting you seem to enjoy would diminsh as the herd would eventually show signs of more hunters!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Second, I challenge anyone on this site to name a state east of the Missouri River where it is HARDER for a non-resident to get a deer tag? </div></div>

you know what, there isnt a state like ours and for good reason! We have one of the nations most coveted tags because of the quality hunting we have, however, like it was said, a Booner doenst live around every tree, Iowa has been blown up bigger than it should be...... its still huntin'. the novelity of the NR Iowa Deer tag is what makes Iowa so special, if you got a tag every year, many more deer would get whacked and the novelity would eventually wear off..... seems to me like Iowa knows that and if they open the flood gates, the long-term affects would be negative....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Third, if you live in Iowa but own land in any of the surrounding states, you can get a non-resident deer tag for that state much more easily than you can in reverse. </div></div>

many other states have done what you are proposing and are seeing negative affects because of that, MN for example. and just cause "everyone's doin' it" doesnt make it right.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Fourth, I think it would be extremely selfish for me to uproot my family, quit my job, and move back to Iowa so that I can more easily get a deer tag. </div></div>

it is extremely selfish to buy land in Iowa because you can, and not allow anyone to hunt it in your absence. if you think it is selfish to up-root your family for the purpose of shooting deer because you own land in another state, then bad call on your behalf for buying the land in the first place, ESPECIALLY since you knew the rules in the first place!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally......I strongly believe there is an injustice in the way non-resident tags are now issued and instead of standing around and complaining...... </div></div>

you have a monetary agenda, money to be earned and a trophy wall to be built by the laws being changed to better suit your goals.

again, you knew the rules/laws when you signed the paperwork to become an Iowa NR landowner. now you want to complain about the current regs...... maybe you oughta take a closer look at your investments before signing the checks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am helping to do something about it. </div></div>

i would hardly call it helping......

You wanna enjoy the rights of Iowa hunters, then i suggest you be "selfish" and move your family up here! i doubt you will find better living conditions, and better people anywhere else in the country! Iowa is a gem, not only for it's hunting, but also for it's people, and im damn proud of it!

I have nothing agains NR landowners and i have nothing agains NR hunters, they are great for the economy and bring lots of GOOD to Iowa...... BUT i do strongly feel that what we have is worth protecting and most certianly worth regulating! I fully stand behind the current system and fully support the IBA!

Where do you get your facts or what are your sources to claim that the mismanaged deer population in this state is the result of NR's owning land?

The over population and unbalanced deer herd rely's solely on the policy makers of Iowa. They have had every opportunity year after year to correct this and have failed to do so. The plan they instituted 5 years ago is a travesty and every true hunter on this site should be caling their State Senators and Houe Reps about correcting this rather than bashing NRLO's who have as much at stake as any other landowner in the state.

For everyone to just assume that the 6,000,000+ acres owned by NRLO's goes unhunted every year, or that NRLO's do not allow hunting on their land any more than resident landowners do,or that NRLO's lease out more land than resident landowners...I say give me proof. Where are your facts?

In response to 3 major myths perptuated in this forum and through that other organization.

Myth #1 - NR's only shoot bucks...

Fact - according to the IDNR there were over 100,000 more licenses issued to residents last year than in 2002. Sure there was an increase in does harvested, that would be expected, but there also was an increase in the number of bucks harvested 12% and almost 46% in button bucks harvested. And you wonder where all the bucks have gone?

The number of licenses issued to NR's and % of bucks harvested by NR's remained relatively(apx 3,000) the same for the same period.When the NR's were allowed to puchase additional tags to harvest does, their harvest in 2007 was 49% does and 51% bucks almost identical to what Iowa residents performance was.

NR's account for about 4% of the licenses issued each year and about the same % of deer harvested.

More than likely( sorry I have no proof to back this up) a NRLO is going to be more selective in the buck they harvested while residents with all those tags in their back pockets will shoot anything that moves.

Myth #2 - NR's do not allow residents to hunt on their land.

Fact - according to the IDNR annual deer harvest report, nearly 60% of the NR's hunted with a resident. Enough said!

Myth #3 - NR's are the cause for rising land prices.

Fact - according to Iowa State economic reports the driving force behind land prices are the increase in commodity and fuel prices. They also report that this trend could continue for no less than another 5 years. In the mid 80's when land values plummeted due to high interest rates and a poor economy NR's owned only 6% of Iowa farmland. In the 80's & 90's Iowa arms were open to the NR's that came in and brought new money that helped farmers and communities survive.

A simple solution is for you and your fathers to quit selling your land, but then money talks, right?

This seems to come up every year and makes for good reading.

I want to share a statement I wrote a few years back and I think it is relevant for this very topic ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are not a resident of Iowa and you visit this site regularly you probably posses the following traits:

#1 - You are in the upper echelon of whitetail hunters - your obsession with whitetails, mature bucks, conservation and ethics have steered you here.

#2 - You are probably thick skinned, so to speak, as this site at times is a hot bed for Iowa non-resident hunting regulations.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1, our passion for the hunting whitetails, brings us all together no matter the state or country we are from. Yet controversy of Iowa non-resident hunting regulations all to often alienates members not residing in Iowa.

Iowa by comparison to it's neighboring states concerning non-resident hunting regulations and resident hunters territorialism is not construed as friendly. I'll be the first to admit this and apologize for alienating anyone - especially on this site. Yet these very same rules, expressions etc are the reason that Iowa has world-class whitetail hunting and available land access.

Non-resident Iowa tag allocation doesn't meet its demand and many great people are turned away each year. It's hard to explain or justify to a landowner that he can't hunt his own land. It' hard to tell a father that his son can't come home and hunt with the family every year. It's just plain hard to tell a fellow sportsman "NO". Yet these regulations and tag allocations are the core reasons that we still have readily available land access compared to other states. It's these regulations and tag allocations that still make it affordable to purchase land within Iowa's boundaries. It's these regulations and tag allocations that provide us with world-class whitetail hunting and this is why they are so sacred to the majority of Iowa hunters.

We discuss Iowa hunting issues here and because of so much controversy concerning our tag allocations etc at this time of the year the term "non-residents" is thrown around loosely. I myself am guilty of this as I created the "Temptation Tag" which understandably doesn't sit well with some. For this I'm sorry as my goal was not to offend (ie open mouth insert foot) but to help reform the current regulations - sorry to all for that statement. I guess my point overall is that it is tough to discuss these issues without making people feel alienated, however the Iowawhitetail staff will do it's best at making everyone feel at home.

You are a fellow Sportsman and deserve that respect. Stay thick skinned and I'll leave you with our Mission statement.

Iowawhitetail.com - Iowa's information resource for whitetail deer

At Iowawhitetail.com, it is our mission to promote, protect and maintain the integrity of hunting, provide timely and accurate information for hunters and outdoor enthusiasts everywhere while creating an environment that is friendly and educational for all members of our outdoor community.
</div></div>

I would suggest that in the Midwest, hunting regulations and land managers mold the hunting dynamics for each particular state - thus explaining why Iowa is such a tremendous deer hunting resource. Do you really want to change Iowa's deer hunting dynamics? ROI - maybe your efforts would be better served relocating to a state that meets your regulatory requirements.

I would also strongly suggest to anyone that is concerned for Iowa's hunting future to join the IBA if you are not already a member.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigmanBiggun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Myth #2 - NR's do not allow residents to hunt on their land.

Fact - according to the IDNR annual deer harvest report, nearly 60% of the NR's hunted with a resident. Enough said!

</div></div>

I wonder what percentage of the 60% were hunting with a shotgun antlerless tag.

I try to stay out of topics such as this on the site, and I know that not all NR hunters are boogeymen, but sometimes I can't resist throwing a jab out there.

why dont we just give nr landowners doe tags for the special rifle season in the southern counties and let them shoot some does , see how many nrlo's come in to hunt in zero degree weather to shoot does. no buck tags, no party hunting, but tags for the special doe only season. let nrlo's put in for the draw every year like everyone else but they can get special doe only tags .

To all the NR's viewing this thread.

Do you really think Iowa is some magical place that bucks grow huge no matter the regulations? The only difference between here and all the other midwestern states is our regulations. Mess with those and you screw everything up. Yea, your little piece of heaven you have here might be alright but the state on a whole will suffer. The closest compairison would be western Ill. Look at that model. Is that really what would be best for the state as a whole? I think not!

It seems to me that every Non Res. making a big stink in this thread and all across the state has something to gain personally. More tags for themselves or more tags to sell to paying customers.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If it's just about herd management than only let the non res antlerless tags be good for the late doe season.... see what happens then:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you really think Iowa is some magical place that bucks grow huge no matter the regulations? The only difference between here and all the other midwestern states is our regulations. Mess with those and you screw everything up. Yea, your little piece of heaven you have here might be alright but the state on a whole will suffer. The closest compairison would be western Ill. Look at that model. Is that really what would be best for the state as a whole? I think not!
</div></div>

I concur with the above statements. Iowa's habitat in my mind is not any better for whitetails than most midwestern states and compared to Missouri probably not as good. It's the regulation structure (non-firearm rut seasons, shotguns, limited non-resident hunting pressure and the related "reduced" land access limitations compared to say Illinois) which I believe has been the contributing factors to the quality of the Iowa deer herd. Why would the residents of Iowa realistically want to allow any change in the regulations unless you are interested/benefiting from the market appreciation of the land or the commercialization of the deer hunting industry in Iowa.

Am I missing something ??

Top Bottom