Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR deer apps

Why is shooting a doe in iowa such a big deal to you nr? There are more activities you can do in iowa besides deer hunt. Bring your boy along and have him sit in the treestand with you if he wants to come that bad. Our maybe pack up and move on down and become a resident. I am fine with the regulations for non residents. You can buy tags over the counter in missouri and its not much farther away. As far as the poaching and chasing deer with vehicles im sure that happens in alot of states not just iowa.

Iowa

Why is shooting a doe in iowa such a big deal to you nr? There are more activities you can do in iowa besides deer hunt. Bring your boy along and have him sit in the treestand with you if he wants to come that bad. Our maybe pack up and move on down and become a resident. I am fine with the regulations for non residents. You can buy tags over the counter in missouri and its not much farther away. As far as the poaching and chasing deer with vehicles im sure that happens in alot of states not just iowa.

That would be called management of a property which includes doe harvest (if needed). I own the property, my kids should be able to hunt on it with me. Any argument against my kids hunting on my property that I own is simply without basis. Iowa is the only state in nation that doe not allow a NR to archery hunt every year for at least a doe.

Cmon I not asking for more buck tags, simply let a kid shoot a doe while he is down here hunting with me. Last year he did sit with me and filmed, sure it was fun....when we bought in Iowa NR archery doe tags were allowed, they changed the rules and many on this site, say we like it "as is", well then you should have been opposed to that change.

It has created a situation where Residents can manage their property, but NR cannot manage does year round. Why do you think the doe tags are not coming down across the state? Pockets of doe high doe populations. Branstad hits a deer with his car, he hunts on the Drury farm and sees dozens of does, there are does everywhere right?

Their is a bigger picture here that you are not seeing and your local organizations should "see it" clearly but they are not...the goal has always been no more tags for NR at any cost, even if it negatively effects our deer herd.

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying. It does suck if you are a nr and own ground in iowa that you cant get tags for, but thats just part of the deal. I do understand why it would be nice if your boy could come down with you and shoot does. But thats just the way it is. You always have the option of selling the farm and buying in a different state. As far as management if you really need to take out some does im sure you would have no problem finding someone around the area to help you out with that. And for nr in your situation i dont think anyone would be opposed to what your saying but most nr are not in your situation.

I understand what you are saying. It does suck if you are a nr and own ground in iowa that you cant get tags for, but thats just part of the deal. I do understand why it would be nice if your boy could come down with you and shoot does. But thats just the way it is. You always have the option of selling the farm and buying in a different state. As far as management if you really need to take out some does im sure you would have no problem finding someone around the area to help you out with that. And for nr in your situation i dont think anyone would be opposed to what your saying but most nr are not in your situation.

I do let locals shoot does, but again most landowners don't buy land and then make it public, it is just fundamental wildlife management to allow landowners to manage their property. I do appreciate your take on this, it is a small weakness in what is otherwise a good deer plan

Hardwood, I guess I'm a little confused as to why you would buy property in another state anyway if you goal is to hunt and spend time afield with your kids?

Hardwood, I guess I'm a little confused as to why you would buy property in another state anyway if you goal is to hunt and spend time afield with your kids?
I was wondering this too, though I have no dog in this fight. To me it seems the best choice for hunting with your kids is right at home.???

Pretty simple we do both, we own and manage 600+ acres in Mn & Iowa.
We take it serious and manage each and every acre over time. My family is always involved, 4 boys that all hunt and fish. If you are not getting your family involved you are missing out, we have a blast.

I was wondering this too, though I have no dog in this fight. To me it seems the best choice for hunting with your kids is right at home.???

Iowa and Mn border each other, we can leave by 6 in the morning and be hunting by noon...we have a hunting shack, it has been a great investment!
My point all along is the rule change hurt NR landowners and youth... A few spoil it for everyone.

Iowa and Mn border each other
I know this,..but I do not know why someone from MN feels the need to hunt IA,...is it the regulations in MN that have hurt the hunting there?

My family is always involved, 4 boys that all hunt and fish. If you are not getting your family involved you are missing out, we have a blast.

How old are your boys and what else are they ivolved in besides hunting and fishing? Mine love their fishing but I think that hunting may take a backseat to hockey with them.

I know this,..but I do not know why someone from MN feels the need to hunt IA,...is it the regulations in MN that have hurt the hunting there?

How old are your boys and what else are they ivolved in besides hunting and fishing? Mine love their fishing but I think that hunting may take a backseat to hockey with them.

The main problem with MN is the early November gun season...MN is very NR friendly overall, which I think is fine. We hunt a lot out of state ND and Sd have special low cost youth hunts for resident and NR!

My boys are all three sport athletes, very busy ages-18-11

One of their big passions is "carping" shooting carp and rough fish with bows... They have their own boat, and get 30-50+ in a night

Sask, I grew up in Minnesota and hunted and fished a lot in my youth. Minnesota has a rich tradition of deer hunting that goes back generations. They have always had a gun season during the rut and the "if it's brown, it's down" mentality is very strong. Winters are much more severe than Iowa.Deer numbers are relatively stable from year to year.
Iowa on the other hand is fairly new in respect to deer management. My father grew up in southwest Iowa and it was rare for him to even see track. He grew up shooting lots of pheasants, quail,squirrels and cottontails. Visit the same farms he grew up on today and you will find no quail, a rare pheasant and cottontail, but lots of deer and turkeys. Not to mention that most of the fence lines, draws, ditches, groves, and woodlots are gone. The gun seasons in Iowa were scheduled after the harvest so the farmers could participate. This put the gun seasons after the rut which is ultimately the reason Iowa has become a bow hunters mecca. Combine this with relatively mild winters, lots of high protein food available (corn and soybeans), a relatively small number of hunters and good habitat, and that is why someone would want to hunt Iowa. If I went back to hunt Minnesota, I could expect to see a few deer a day, with the rare chance at a buck. This is on good ground. The farms I hunt in Iowa are full of deer. That is why someone from Minnesota would want to hunt Iowa.

The reason Iowa is one of the top states is becasue of how the regs are NOW, minus Januarly antlerless and the amount of antlerless tags offered in several counties. The NR regulations need to stay how they are now. If you change them, you might as well drive another 50 miles south Hardwood and buy some MO tags over the counter.

The reason Iowa is one of the top states is becasue of how the regs are NOW, minus Januarly antlerless and the amount of antlerless tags offered in several counties. The NR regulations need to stay how they are now. If you change them, you might as well drive another 50 miles south Hardwood and buy some MO tags over the counter.

Totally not true and you know it, adding a few doe tags will not change the quality of hunting in Iowa. You guys really stick to your stories!

I'm not interested in bantering about this topic, same old generic responses. We will shotgun hunt and shoot some bucks and does. Thanks

What Hardwood has been trying to say is the NR rules have changed. When he bought his land, and when I started bow hunting Iowa, we could buy NR archery doe tags. It allowed he and his son to bow hunt his property each year. He was not asking for a buck tag each year. We appreciate the Iowa regulations which have created a good quality deer herd. We are not poachers, just regular hunters who would like the opportunity to hunt Iowa each year. Your current regulations are discriminating to anyone who has friends or family that bowhunt and live in another state. I would be a member of IBA, but they fought to allow this. Anyway, I am done with this as well as some minds will never change. Time to put in for my tags. See you this fall. I might have to buy a muzzleloader and party hunt with my NR doe tag next year!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Cooter,
Have you ever hunting in a State other then Iowa? If you have then you
must be a rich guy.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I'm waiting for someone to respond to Hardwood's point regarding NR archery doe tags. When I purchased my Iowa land the NR landowner doe tag was available and as all of you pointed out it was revoked. Where was our resident friends fighting for the "current rules are why Iowa is great" when NR landowners lost a privilege? The temptation tag assertion is a joke. I've been coming to Iowa for over a decade and have seen some crazy things during all the hunting seasons. A NR landowner with an archery doe tag is the least of the DNR's problems.

Last edited:
I must hunt in MInn? I hunt on my land during the rut and only see a few deer a day. Scratch that///// a few deer a week. No,,,I live in Iowa. but this is off the subject,,sorry.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Jdubs said:
I'm waiting for someone to respond to Hardwood's point regarding NR archery doe tags. When I purchased my Iowa land the NR landowner doe tag was available and as all of you pointed out it was revoked. Where was our resident friends fighting for the "current rules are why Iowa is great" when NR landowners lost a privilege?
When I MOVED to Iowa I could hunt about anywhere I want, that was a privilege and it is largely gone due to folks like you. Sell it if you dont like it, or keep it, its as simple as that.

Top Bottom