Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

size for youthhunters

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I read Bobby Worthington's book earlier this year. He set his kids up in places where he thought that they WOULDN'T see any deer so that when they did, they would appreciate it more. </div></div>

I have no idea who Bobby Worthington is, but he sounds like a gem. What a great idea to risk having the kid get discouraged right off the bat by not even seeing anything. The idea of taking a kid out is to get them into hunting. The more fun they have the better the chance that they'll stick with it. Why set them up for failure?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timekiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Why set them up for failure? </div></div>

He was from the "school of hard knocks" camp and devoted a whole chapter in his book to the topic of kids learning to hunt. He felt that many parents/adults are "doing all the work" in scouting and stand selection and the kids are basically "trigger pullers". He felt that this approach did not teach the kids how to be "hunters" and they might come away with the feeling that deer hunting is easy (especially if they killed a big deer) and quit the sport as a result (been there, done that attitude). He wanted to have his kids spend many hours learning how to read deer sign and study deer behavior, then choose where they thought would be good spots to sit. By investing the time and effort, the kids "earned" the deer and could take pride in their accomplishment.

Maybe this is not what the author meant when he wrote the chapter, but that is the impression I was left with.

Personally, I doubt that for many people who are taking kids hunting, it is the child's first foray afield. As THA4 mentioned in his post, most kids tag along with their hunting addicted parent/s during the off season stand prep time, food plotting, trail cam card pulling, shed hunting, etc and therefore develop a knowledge base and a passion for the outdoors. When I have the boys out, I constantly point at wildlife sign and ask the questions what and why. The what might be a deer print, the why is it in that particular spot might not have a correct answer, but it gets them thinking. So far, the boys really don't have an interest in killing a deer, which I'm semi-ok with. From a couple of their comments, I'm getting the feeling that they think it is too easy (though they have never accompanied me on a successful hunt) and they might need a little more stand time to see that isn't the case. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

If a child shows any interest in hunting, get 'em out there.

Thomas,
I can tell you've seen the light with your last post based on my own personal experience. My oldest boy shot a very nice buck for his 1st deer (140's) and has been hooked ever since. He is now 16 and has been hunting with me every chance he gets since I first allowed him to tag along. My middle boy showed little to no interest in hunting as he'd rather be riding a 4 wheeler or dirt bike, etc... One time he came along on a recovery of a doe I shot with my bow & he couldn't handle the blood well enough to even hold the light for me. I had resigned myself to the fact that he may not share my passion for the outdoors & I vowed to take more interest in things he liked. He's 11 now & out of the blue asked me if he could do the youth deer hunt this year! No pressure, I didn't even bring it up, & now he can't wait for the weekend. We've been shooting & planting a couple small food plots & he is pumped. He will choose what animal to shoot & I will tell him when it's in range but no matter what I will be filled with joy that he came to see things more the way I see them without being forced. In the end it isn't about what they shoot but that they validate our lives by growing a passion for what we love. Isn't this the greatest compliment our children can pay to us? (I wanna be just like my Dad!) My $.02 worth.
Maggs

My boy is only 3 but is already crazy about deer. When he is old enough to pull the trigger I don't care what he shoots because I know he will enjoy it. Most kids that i've seen shoot there first, second or tenth deer are always excited about it. I don't care what happens as long as we are having fun.

Sounds like some guys might be scared of their sons shooting bigger deer then their daddy! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif JK everybody.

Top Bottom